Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

I've been returning to the PT Cruiser lately and this week I finished up the R8 V-10 engine. I must say, hats off to Revell, it's an amazing piece. All the parts fit seemingly seamlessly with crisp decals to help detail it. Though I'm not a super car fan, it's hard not to love the fit and finish of the Audi. I agree with a couple reviews I've read that it's a shame some of that well engineered detail goes unseen once it's assembled. 

A quick look at the chassis. The 5-piece suspension on all four corners had to be raised to get the car "out of the weeds" and to stock height. Still under construction, but this is where I'm at.

Here's some theme options for next years race. Let me know what think. Feel free to add some ideas. 

1. Box stock - any model - no kitbashing, use what came in the box.

2. Supercars and Concept cars.

3. Muscle Madness - any car commonly thought of as a muscle car from 1963 - 1976 - technology of the day only

4. Euro Cannonball - no US vehicles, race will be held in Europe

5. The 1960's - any car from 1960-1969 model years, no technology limitations

6. Unlimited - basically no theme - build whatever you want. This has been done several times now, I'm not a fan of it. 

I'll be happy with all of those suggestions except the Unlimited and I will definitely build something for that race.

Unfortunately I'm out of this year's Cannonball with my Trabant. I simply had no time to build during the summer and now even if I worked full time on it, I could not get it done. It will be finished some day, though.

I'm ready for a back roads race. Cannonball Grey Roads. Any vehicle with 4WD or AWD. Could be rally car, truck, conversion, mash-up. 

I like this idea followed by Muscle Madness followed by The 1960's followed by box stock. I think an Off road Cannonball would be awesome. I have a few ideas spinning for this already...

´'cause i'm a euro-guy...would be interesting what you heavy-metal and musclecarmaniacs perform in Magic if you lay your Hands on it! B)

thats my favorite order:

also like the offroad-challenge!

Whats about an "Import-riceburner"-challenge?:D

I think it should be a thema for the builing. I like the most suggestions.

5. The 1960's - any car from 1960-1969 model years, no technology limitations
3. Muscle Madness - any car commonly thought of as a muscle car from 1963 - 1976 - technology of the day only

I like the offroad-challenge too.
What about hot rods?

Hmm. The 4x4 idea sounds cool to me too. How about we call it Cannonball Yukon Trail? And we race 2200 miles from Seattle WA to Anchorage AK?

I like that! I've been watching that show with them guys racing across Alaska. I've been kickin around a build like that.

Edited by Petetrucker07

My choice would be Box stock. That is the one nobody has picked or will ever pick. Why? Because that is the real challenge here limiting one only to whats in the kit box. No kit bashing, no aftermarket parts, no resin pieces, no photoetch parts, nothing fancy, nothing wild, nothing scratchbuilt.  Skill verses skill alone using only what you have to work with in the box.

Take the off road idea, and maybe mash it up against a Mad Max post apocalyptic survival vehicle idea? Anything would fit at that point I'd imagine. Whatever vehicle was still mobile enough to survive and adapt. I'm not sure if I'd have a good candidate for that theme, but man it would be cool to see.

Take the off road idea, and maybe mash it up against a Mad Max post apocalyptic survival vehicle idea? Anything would fit at that point I'd imagine. Whatever vehicle was still mobile enough to survive and adapt. I'm not sure if I'd have a good candidate for that theme, but man it would be cool to see.

My thinking was that the off road idea would attract some of the post apoc folks, but without the taint of violence and evil.

I would also back a box build idea. It could help retire from my stash one of any number of kits that I have no particular plans for.

This is all great input folks. Keep it coming and toward the end of November we'll put the most popular suggestions in a poll and we can vote.

I think the RHD and import only themes would limit our field too much and also we'd lose builders due to lack of interest. But that's not my call, if people vote for it, so be it.

Edited by Jantrix

My choice would be Box stock. That is the one nobody has picked or will ever pick. Why? Because that is the real challenge here limiting one only to whats in the kit box. No kit bashing, no aftermarket parts, no resin pieces, no photoetch parts, nothing fancy, nothing wild, nothing scratchbuilt.  Skill verses skill alone using only what you have to work with in the box.

Amen to that! never thought in this direction buddy.

That sounds like a real challenge!

It's been decided that TFchronos (Jonathan Mason) will be running next years Cannonball. He's gonna handle the poll for deciding the theme later on and starting the new thread next year. Jon has been an active particapant of this CBP since it was on the SA forums and I'm sure he'll do just fine.