Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

That looks like the old Monogram '53 Chevy. It is a really nice kit for its age, and builds into a neat model. It also has a straight six that goes well with the '39 Chevy kits. (Although it would represent a later engine than the actual '39 would have, but you can just call it a swap .) The old revell 53/54 kit had opening doors, a V-8 and lots of Gasser parts. It was 1/25 scale. It was also a cool kit, but took a bit of fiddling to get everything together.

That ol' Effie definitely looks stealthy enough, Lane. Is that a Hemi in there? That should be enough to get it there pretty quickly, but I sure hope the suspension is softer than stock or you and your navigator will have very sore backsides before you get halfway across Pennsylvania! :wacko:

Come on Jim this is 1962! Everybody was used to the bumpy rides :lol:

Hey, I once had a '61 Corvair Lakewood wagon that rode smoother than the '73 Chevelle wagon I had at the same time. Personally, I don't want the fillings to be shaken loose from my teeth by the time I arrive in California! Maybe I'm getting soft in my middle age (I'm DEFINITELY getting soft in my MIDDLE! :D), but I like my comfort.

That ol' Effie definitely looks stealthy enough, Lane. Is that a Hemi in there? That should be enough to get it there pretty quickly, but I sure hope the suspension is softer than stock or you and your navigator will have very sore backsides before you get halfway across Pennsylvania! :wacko:

Negative Ghost Rider, that my friend is a flathead.

I finally got around to uploading my pics, haven't done any work to it since I took them a few weeks ago though...

The radiator support needed some work to mate with the hood, the white part is Evergreen I added.

005-26.jpg

Now the inner fenders, firewall and core support all fit like they should...

006-25.jpg

007-19.jpg

008-17.jpg

I started mocking up the rearend, the 8 3/4 is from a Duster kit and seems to be the right width.

009-15.jpg

These are the JoHan kit wheels and tires that I'll be using.

010-14.jpg

Man, I gotta get back on this. I've been on 2nd and 3rd shift for a while now and even on my days off I'm just so whipped I don't feel like building. I'll get the interior of the '49 done soon so that even if I have to show up on race day in primer, I can at least be able to.

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually done a lot since my last update...

100_1721.jpg

...I painted it!

It WAS going to stay gray primer, but then I decided it looked a little silly on the car so I painted it. It'll have some sponsor decals (yes, 1962 circa decals ;) )

So there it is! Not a whole lot farther to go.

Nice work on the 55 Andy, the red and white look good and I think it will do better in the final voting that a plain primer finish. Also, congrats on you Gearz/Revell contest win.

I've done a little more with the Dart. As I've mentioned before this kit came with no wheel backs and nothing from my parts box fit the JoHan tires so I tried to make some discs out of sheet plastic to act as wheel backing pieces. The first half dozen or so attempts didn't go so well and I only had 2 somewhat useable pieces. While talking to a very good friend of mine (von Zipper, aka Chris) he sugessted chucking some sheet plastic into my Dremel and turning it down to make the wheel backs. It worked pretty well once I got one down to the right size, ( I did make a couple that were too small at first).

With wheel backs made I could finally mock up the suspention and check wheelbase, ride height, wheel centering in the openings, and width of the Duster rearend I'm using. I'm sure you can guess where this is going by now.........Everything was off. The Duster rearend was an easy enough fix, just trimmed 1/16" off each end and the track width seemed about right. Wheelbase and centering in the openings are going to take a little more work. The Lindberg kit that I'm using for the chassis must be off a little as I measured the wheelbase at 118/119" (in scale), it should be 116".The rear wheels are placed too far rearward in their openings and need to move forward about 1.5-2mm. The front wheels are too far forward in their openings and need to move about 2mm rearward. This should give me a correct 116" wheelbase.

Anyway, here are the pics of where things are (incorrectly) at. I'll detail the modifications I'll be making to correct things in later posts, I already have an idea of how I'm going to tackle the problem.

001-41.jpg

003-37.jpg

002-38.jpg

I also mocked up the Max Wedge exhaust manifolds on the engine to see if they were going to give me a problem later down the line, everything seemed to fit there (we'll see if that is the case later in the build......much like last years Capri).

004-31.jpg

Finally Deceided on the Powerhouse for my Merc, it is the MOST obscure motor I could think of, a 1957 347 Cubic Inch Pontiac Strato Streak Tri-Power that's right 3-2 Barrels baby! Found a Pontiac Block from a built up Original release '36 Ford Coupe, as far as I know it was first released around '60 or '61. So that is my chosen plant for this beastie, 10.0.1 Compression, 310 HP and 400 LB/FT of Torque (with dealer installed cam ;) ).

Nick