Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Take-A-Turn Torino Project

Casey

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a while since the last update. The BMF went by quickly then things stalled on my workbench. I've been trying to think of details that would make a great build really stand out. I worked on the wheels/ tires this weekend. More to come.

001_zpsldurznkd.jpg

Its been a while since the last update. The BMF went by quickly then things stalled on my workbench. I've been trying to think of details that would make a great build really stand out. I worked on the wheels/ tires this weekend. More to come.

001_zpsldurznkd.jpg

Wow! Awesome job on this wheel/tire combo! How do you paint tne black park of the wheels? And the tire air valves are trully amaizing!

I did them with a brush and some humbrol satin coal black. You can find that progress wayyyy back on like page 3. I never thought of the Goodyear writing on the tires so that was clever. The factory center cap emblems are on them too so they look " factory". I think once it's all together it's gonna be killer

This weekend I tried to mount the engine to the chassis and ran into a little problem. It seems the oil filter, swaybar, and headers all want to occupy the same space. This pushes the swaybar out of the way to make things fit. I'm not sure who is to blame for this problem, Revell or Ford. At least now I know why Ford added external oil coolers on these cars. I'm trying to figure out a way to make everything play nice but I might just have to let it be.

001_zpsfwnjq0qw.jpg

Wow. I can't say I've seen headers that route that way before. Usually they go behind the motor mounts and crossmember. Are the stock manifolds still an option? Or something from the parts box?

Edited by Jantrix

I looked at all mine and I have some with headers and some without. My advice is to ditch the sway bar. I have not had luck running all 3 pieces on any of mine. It will look better than everything all bent and twisted. Option 2 is trim the oil filter so it's not as deep. I have done this as well and it clears the sway bar. Also regarding the headers many fords run this type of header due to the layout of the front suspension. They are a joy to work on in 1:1 torinos, Mustangs and Cougars. Lol.

Fred, I attached the pin on the bottom of the transmission to the crossmember first and that is when I noticed the engine block wasn't sitting down against the mounts. When I flipped it over is when I noticed the oil filter against the sway bar, then I added the header to see if it would fit in the space that was leftover. I think I can get everything in place where its supposed to be by angling the oil filter in a little toward the oil pan. First I have to reattach the swaybar which came out of its mount, also the lower control arm on that side came unglued (and if you look close at my pic you can see that the spindle came off because of the LCA being unglued). One last thing I have to put back in place are the tie rods but it was much easier to test fit everything else with them removed.

Going back to the stock manifolds is not an option now, I've already cut the exhaust to fit the headers. Also note even though only the driver side header is shown, I added collector flanges to the headers, I just didn't like the way they looked without them.

• 2 weeks later...

How we doing on this? Get the exhaust figured?

Yeah, I have the headers, oil filter, and sway bar to all play nice together. I have been working on it the last couple nights (very little at a time), I also added another detail. I'll try to get the engine mounted and take some pics tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been meaning to post an update, I just wasn't sure what to post. Yes, in the last week I have made some progress on the Torino. Once I figured out the oil filter problem I drilled the oil filter adapter for lines to plumb the oil cooler. I also drilled and added heater hoses. The engine is ready to be mounted to the chassis which I should do later today or maybe tomorrow.  Once that is done other things should go a little faster. There are a couple other details I want to add but I'll save those ideas for later. Now for the rest of the story.

Just a few days after my last post on 7/17 I had a little accident at work, spent a few days in the hospital and was unable to work on much of anything for a couple weeks. As I've already said, I am working on the Torino again I'll be off work for a few more weeks so I have the time to do it now. The downside is I can't work very much at a time since the injury was to my hand, right hand at that as I'm right handed. I won't go into all the details of what and how things happened, let's just say I can only count to 9 now. I'm doing fine and my hand is healing up well. I do have to go back next week for one more surgery to patch up the back side of my hand. That will slow things down for a while again so I'm going to try to get as much done in the next 8 days before that happens. Don't worry, I will get this finished up I want to finish this up and right now I kind of need to finish this up. Modeling is one of those things that can help keep you going after a personal set back.

That's terrible news.  But it's good in a way that you have a project like this to help you get through it.  I didn't want to install oil cooler and heater hoses before I sent the engine just for the fact it's easier to do when you have the car In front of you.  Good call on that.  I hope you used black for the hoses.  Red ones grind my gears lol.  You do what you can as you can and focus on getting healthy again

fred

• 1 month later...