Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Take-A-Turn Torino Project

Casey

I only have one question headers or stock manifolds? I mocked it up and headers will clear but you have to cut the exhaust. I will prep both and send. IMHO the headers would be needed for this beast

Isn't the exhaust already finished and pre-fit for use with exhaust manifolds? I can't remember if that was done previously or not, but I vote for keeping it simple and sticking with x-mans.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How are we doing? Just want to make sure we're getting close to Ron getting involved, as he's next in the process.

We still need someone to volunteer for the last step, too...anyone? ^_^

Slowly getting the interior done. Took care of the biggest hurdle today, spraying the headliner. I was worried about getting white on Billy's excellent blue paint job, but it came out nicely with no white where it shouldn't be...whew! That was a relief :o

Got a finish on the seats that I'm happy with, Tamiya white primer polished with 6000 grit. We'll see how it shows up in pics later...

I knew you would get it figured out Jeff! I can't wait to see this thing finished up! Great work by everyone so far! Have you guys decided what is to become of the finished model? What last step of the model do you need help with Casey?

Have you guys decided what is to become of the finished model?

No, but we probably should start discussing that.

What last step of the model do you need help with Casey?

Just finishing up the little odds and ends after Ron takes care of the BMF, "glass" installation, etc.

Maybe I missed it, but I noticed the reissued kit has new, improved decals. Do we want to use those instead of the original stripes? I'm not exactly sure what has changed, but I think Tim Boyd mentioned something about the stripe's color transitions.

Just finishing up the little odds and ends after Ron takes care of the BMF, "glass" installation, etc.

Depending on the timing, I may be able to help you out with that. As you already know, I'm in recoup mode right now. So, I can't honestly commit ATM. If you guys would like, I could do the tint strip across the top of the windshield if the real car has it (haven't looked at one in a while) as well as give them a factory green tint. I could do that in a day easily. They would need a couple or three days drying time before shipping.

A few progress pics:

IMG_3121_zps73a1cab7.jpg

Tough to photograph, maybe I'll try outside...

Black embossing powder on floor, robbed CORRECT hi-back buckets from the reissue, with Tamiya white primer finish, polished with 6000 grit.

IMG_3120_zps0824b9ea.jpg

Couldn't make the kit shifter look good without whittling down its bulk and replating, so I used a staple. Bent to shape, sanded and polished. Cut the boot from the stock piece after alot of cleanup to get the vinyl pleats better...

IMG_3117_zpsfe5eb035.jpg

Thought a white shifter ball might really POP with the white seats...

IMG_3118_zpsd48f6047.jpg

And a comparison:

IMG_3114_zps9d4ff11b.jpg

Fabbed up an ignition switch by drilling the column, squeezing an aluminum tube to form the 'ears', and using photoetch for the rest. WOW this stuff is TINY!!!

IMG_3122_zps0a3e0fdb.jpg

Sure hope you'll join us Roger! B)

Edited by jeffs396

That interior is looking really nice Jeff! I like what you did with the shifter and the steering column! I know how those keys can be a pain. That's why very few of my models have them anymore. You did some nice work there.

Interior is looking great !!! Can't wait to see how the engine is turning out. By the time its ready for me to BMF the body I should have my all new dedicated and cat proofed hobby room set up. I could also handle the final assembly if nobody else steps up. I think after BMF it might be ready for that anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I realize we lost a certain number of posts due to the recent server incident, but I assumed this project would still be making its way toward final assembly by now. Of all the group builds going on right now, this one sounded the most interesting to me, so I hope it hasn't stalled a la Snowball I.

Any updates/pics yet?

I realize we lost a certain number of posts due to the recent server incident, but I assumed this project would still be making its way toward final assembly by now.

Updates would be appreciated, and I'd love to see everything head to Ron in IL for some final assembly by the end of 2014.

Updates would be appreciated, and I'd love to see everything head to Ron in IL for some final assembly by the end of 2014.

Yeah, I'd like to see how its coming along and get a heads-up on when I should expect to see it in person. Oh, and Casey I've kept the old avatar but as my location states I now live somewhere less Chicago-ie....lol

I now live somewhere less Chicago-ie....lol

Sooooo, Rockford? :huh::D

Jeff and Fred, please update us when you can. I realize this is a very busy time of year for most people, so we just want to make sure we keep forward momentum going on this project, no matter how slow. :D;)

Sooo, I must apologize for my lack of updates. Lots-O-things going on in my life, and not much of it is bench time!

I made a decision about the door panels I hope you'll all agree with. Billy had painted a body-color accent stripe on the door panels which I thought was a GREAT idea at the time. Now that the interior is nearing completion, I can't seem to make it look right with this bright blue in the middle of the door panel...too outstanding! Here's what I decided to do...shaved the manual window cranks off, will be replaced with photoetch power window switches, this is a classy ride! Anyway, I opened up the 'windows' for the accent trim and tried a few things:

IMG_3153_zpsce2ede3d.jpg

Here's how Billy had done it:

IMG_3156_zps9ee321f4.jpg

Here it is with the blue fade body stripe placed behind:

IMG_3154_zps83698051.jpg

And this is how I think it looks BEST! I'm not a big fan of wood inside a car, but this 'torched' basswood looks nice and completely right fot this car! Elegant hi-performance!!!

IMG_3155_zpse191dc41.jpg

It'll look even nicer once its got some gloss on the wood...

IMG_3160_zpsbd3f0761.jpg

Thoughts??? Comments???

Edited by jeffs396