Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Take-A-Turn Torino Project

Casey

Right on the mark Casey. At this point Carlos should assemble the rear end halves. Paint that and the rear springs and shocks. Paint the front suspension assembly ( I already painted the spindles) paint steering components and detail the exhaust. As for exhaust, it only mounts solid at the mufflers with posts on mufflers and holes which I opened on the chassis pan. The tailpipes will take a dab of glue in a notch on either side of fuel tank. I modified these to get tailpipes up where they should be. At the front I think I will have to use the manifolds and not the headers due to clearance that's why I never cut the exhaust. What I will do there is fit and make locating pins for both set ups and whoever installs the engine can double check clearance and install either setup and trim the exhaust accordingly.

I would not install wheels until all suspension is installed on painted chassis to make sure it's all square etc. they MUST however be installed before the chassis is mated to the body! You will never get them on after. Once we know who is prepping the chassis for paint I have some tips to gain a better rear valence fit.

Also do not install exhaust tips until final car assembly

Edited by freakshow12

Any spoons yet, Billy?

I have a color mixed, I'll try to get some spoons painted tomorrow and post pics. Has it been decided if the chassis will be body color or undercoating? If its body color I can paint it and send it back to Carlos for the suspension.

I have a color mixed, I'll try to get some spoons painted tomorrow and post pics. Has it been decided if the chassis will be body color or undercoating? If its body color I can paint it and send it back to Carlos for the suspension.

No, it hasn't...but we should do that ASAP, for the reason you mentioned. I'm not all that familiar with how Fords of that era were painted, so not sure if they are similar to Mopars with overspray underneath or not. Not that we have to follow what the factory did on the 1:1s, but we should discuss it and decide how we want to proceed.

Since we are going to use modern wheels, headers, and possibly a few other changes I would vote for a "over restored" or custom paint to the chassis rather than a stock primer and overspray. Full body color on everything except the fuel tank, only not as glossy as the top side (i.e. no clear coat).

I would vote for a "over restored" or custom paint to the chassis rather than a stock primer and overspray. Full body color on everything except the fuel tank, only not as glossy as the top side (i.e. no clear coat).

Sounds good to me, though I would be fine with the same level of gloss underneath as used on the body.

Here's the colors I've mixed so far, I can easily tint them if needed.

#1 is a little darker than in the pics and #3 is slightly greener and darker than #2.

with flash on:

101953365_zps8efe135f.jpg

With flash off:

101953366_zpsec1342a7.jpg

Oh and I vote for the floor being body color with semi gloss clear.

• 2 weeks later...