Model Cars Magazine Forum

where do you get your models?

From the Local Hobby shop of course! Sheesh.....

Hey, by the way when you register with a "handle", forum rules state that you MUST post your real name in each post.

Easiest way to do this is to put your name in a "signature box" which is found in the "My Controls" section of this board.

Failure to do so will result in suspension of posting abilities.

Thanks for complying...

:angry:

Jairus - Moderator

From the Local Hobby shop of course! Sheesh.....

Hey, by the way when you register with a "handle", forum rules state that you MUST post your real name in each post.

Easiest way to do this is to put your name in a "signature box" which is found in the "My Controls" section of this board.

Failure to do so will result in suspension of posting abilities.

Thanks for complying...

:angry:

Jairus - Moderator

Thank you for the heads up, will this work?

Since our LHS closed getting the models I want is really difficult.

I shop at Model Roundup, HLJ, Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart.

I will, if needing some specialty items, drive the 1.5 hrs. one way to the closest hobby shop.

It appears to me that the LHS's are closing faster and more frequently this year than I have ever seen before.

Chris

I get kits from many sources....local hobby shops, online vendors, ebay, local shows..

As far as the online vendors go, my favorites are Evers Toy Store for Revell, AMT and Lindberg kits (great website, great customer service) and Hobby Link Japan for Fujimi, Aoshima, Tamiya, etc. I've used Model Express occasionally also. I used Hobby Heaven as well before they folded. For supplies I get most everything from the local shops.

Edited by Rob Hall

I get mine from a couple places....foremost from my club meetings (Ron Bradley)----and then from my LHS's. There seems to be only a couple good ones left.

Kranzles RC and Hobby here in the Harrisburg area, and Hobbytown are the only ones around now. I don't even think about Walmart........ ;)

There's a train shop in the Gettysburg area where I get all my scratchbuilding stuff (Tommy Gilberts). I was just there this afternoon getting some things to finish up the Magnum. ;)

Like Bill I get most (90%) of mine from Ron Bradley. I'll get a few at shows or off the raffle table at club meetings or from the yearly auction the CPMCC has, which reminds me that is coming up....got raid the sofa cushions for some change! LOL! I rarely buy a kit a Wally World...mainly because I don't like going into Wally World. Even more rarely will I buy one from the local hobby shop...prices are too high. I know he has overhead but why should I pay $22 for a kit when I can get it from Ron for $13. I do buy my paint and other stuff from the local hobby shop though.

#1. Work...might as well since I'm already at the LHS ;)

#2. Hobby Lobby, if they have a sale going ot have a kit I really, really need (not likely there....... ;) )

#3. Other LHS's if they have something I'm interested and don't already have (that part keeps getting harder :o )

#4. Meijer Stores, same applies here as above.

#5. Wal-Mart, but they don't have squat anymore.........

About 95% of my kit buying is done at the TNMCC meetings, where member Dan Marks sells kits. I didn't get anything this month, which is unusual, as I usually get something from him every month. (Saving for Toledo!)

I have two "LHS" within 5 minutes of my house, and everything else comes from there.

For specialty kits (read: Non current releases, resin, aftermarket) that is done almost exclusivly at model shows. NNL East, NNL Nationals, MASSCAR, LIARS...All have vendor rooms, where I go through money like it's going out of style...LOL.

I've never bought a kit on Ebay.

I have purchased from Hobby Heaven, Model Roundup, Fantastic Plastics, SMH and a few others in the past...but that's usually only for stuff I can't find elsewhere.

I like to buy Kits & supplies from Tower Hobbies. Then depending on what I am looking for I also get kits from:

Model Roundup

Model express

strada sports

e-bay

Mike's Decals (Nascar donor kits & decals)

Hobby Link Japan

and back in the Day .. Hobby Heaven

And also the old stash at Mom & Dad's house ;)

I'll buy at the LHS but I don't get there very often. I will buy kits at walmart if I see something there that jumps out at me, usually it's the same 4 kits, but I saw the magnum there for like $4.88, so I grabbed it.

It just depends what you are looking for.

I get mine mainly from the local LHSs (Model Empire and Greenfield News and Hobby, Milwaukee rocks) some Ebay purchases, also from Modelhaus and HobbyLink Japan. Wally is a last minute effort if I really have the hot fantods for something they have, but I don't make a practice of it.

My LHS doesn't have a regular selection and they're more concerned about their R/C business than kit sales. I'm more on top of what's coming out for new kits and when I mention something they give me "the look" ;):blink: So, 80% of my kits have come from internet sources, 20% has come from the LHS, Walmart, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.

Like Bill and Andy, I'm somewhat spoiled by Ron Bradley (Bradleys Car Collectibles) and the other guys at the CPMCC club meetings. Ron has pretty much everything I could ever want except Tamiya kits, which I seldom pine for anyway. When I'm looking for something a little less mainstream, I hunt down Len Feinberg at Fantastic Plastics in Easton, PA at a show or on line. Then there's my fellow Silent Traffic member Lynne Marra (Model Man) who I see at Silent Traffic meetings. He has the same depth of selection as Ron B, which is great. All these guys occasionally throw specially priced kits out there for purchase, and it's hard to pass anything up for 5 bucks.

When WalMart has something attractive that I know I can't get from the other guys for a better price (which as rare, by the way) I might pick it up Otherwise--and I hate myself for saying this--I generally don't go to the local hobby shop because of the prices. There's one in nearby Gilbertsville that charges full retail for car kits, and they have the sun-bleached boxes to show how well they turn inventory at those prices. But, their thing is trains, and I understand they do alright with that stuff. There's another in the city of Reading, but to be honest, even though his prices are great and he has a selection of everything from current to 30-year-old kits, his place is in a relatively dangerous part of town.

If we're talking a chain like Hobby Town, I will go there for accessories and paints, but kits come from the aforementioned sources simply due to raw economics.

There are lots of options for me in my area, but it'd be really nice if I actually got around to building something for a change.

It is still good to be a model car builder in South Florida. I live in Deerfield Beach, smack inbetween Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. In Ft. Lauderdale, there are two generally well stocked hobby shops with cars, Warrick SuperHobbies and RC Hobbies. Both have a good supply of models, paint, aftermarket, and other supplies, except that Warrick got rid of the counter and the expert, and left a shelf full of cars to help yourself.

In West Palm Beach, there are 2 well stocked hobby shops, and both have experts on hand to help you out and order stuff not in stock.

Then throughout the counties, there are Michaels' all over as well as about 5 Wal Marts. I tend to buy at LHS's more even though a little higher, as hobby shops are the backbone of our hobby, and they direly need our support.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

I'm buying very little lately, running out of room to stash kits. The main floor and upstairs closets are off limits!

We have one kit vendor that comes to our LIARS club meetings, he has the latest at the greatest prices. My LHS is so jam packed with DIECASTS blocking the models that I have no clue what he has, doubt he does either. So I'll buy maybe 2-3 a year there.

I like the Kay Bee outlets, one is close with few models, the other is an hour's ride but has a better selection. I grab a couple at Michaels Crafts with the 40% off coupon, I'll do a hit and run at WalMart if I'm going by.

I'll maybe buy some at shows if they're a good deal. I used to be big into evilBay but since the shipping costs are so high (sellers looking to retire off shipping gouging), there is little attraction there.

Bob

I buy most of my new and recent releases from Dave Burket - Model King at our club meetings. I also buy a lot of kits at shows. I buy vintage kits and built ups on eBay. I seldom buy a kit at a hobby shop. I'll buy supplies there as needed, but none of my local shops have any loyalty to model car builders, so I don't feel obligated to buy anything there.

I'll also echo the thought that I'm way past the point of filling all my storage so I've slowed down my buying considerably. I no longer need a dozen of any kit!