Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Chevrolet Caprice

Zoom Zoom

A good friend of mine Henry Trent (and our club president) is a Porsche fanatic and mountain biking fanatic. One of his biking buddies found out he built models, gave him a big bunch of old models...some pretty cool vintage stuff. Henry didn't want/need the Caprice, and ended up giving it to me :) for an Xmas present in '06. When I first saw the model we put some crazy Revell Donk wheels under it...

Anyway, Birmingham's flyer shows a '74 Caprice Donk. I have this model...so I photo'd the model as received; and taken apart. I was lucky, it wasn't a glue bomb and everything popped apart w/o damage. The only damage is the wheel backs are slightly melted, the wheel covers are fine. Plan is to restore it, paint it in Chevy's "pea soup green" from that year, throw a white vinyl top on it, and call it a disco cruiser. It might get Donk wheels on one side only (stepped base) just for a fun display at Birmingham, IF...if I get it done in time. We shall see!

Sorry for the lousy photos, it's all I have though before I stripped the paint. I'll get a picture of that later...one round w/Easy Off and most of it came right off. I need to hit the interior w/one more shot. Even the flat black came up.

IMG_0007-vi.jpg

IMG_0008-vi.jpg

IMG_0009-vi.jpg

Here's what we did with it the day we first saw it (see other models in the same group that were given to Henry):

DSCF0240.JPG

Edited by Zoom Zoom

:o i want it!!!!!!!!! wanna trade or sell it?

Sorry, the '74 was my missing link...I had every year of Caprice/Impala kit except this one which completes the whole set. This will be build 100% stock, and if it goes to Birmingham (if I get it done in time) it will have big wheels only on one side, and not attached to the car permanently.

After getting stuffed in a baggie with a stripper (Easy Off) the Caprice came out nearly nekkid :D

If you read between the lines Bob, that sentence says more than you know!! :o:lol: .............So does "Easy Off" work days and will she take a check? :lol:

Gonna be another nice one from you Bob!

'74's aren't often seen on the show tables anywhere. That's a neat idea of putting "Donk" wheels on one side and not permanent.

Now if I can just get that '74 tune "Radar Love" outta my head! :D

Hmmmm..............I think that song was one of those records that came out near the end of the year and into the next.

Here in Central PA, that song was being played very heavily on our local radio during April/May '74.

One reason I remember, is because I was very sick for about 2 weeks back then and all I could do is lie in bed and listen to the radio. I swear that song was played it seemed every 90 minutes! :lol:

I got nosy and checked out that song on Wikipedia and they list it as a '73 and '74 single. Nevertheless, a GREAT song just the same and probably one of the top driving tunes out there! :o

"Nekkid after a date w/stripper"

Well one can only hope so LOL

Sorry I could not resist. I choked on my coffee whe I read that. You may not have intended it funny, but I got a kick out of it.

Oh...the model looks great. A friend many years ago (high school) drove a 74 Caprice 2 door. He drove it several years until he later bought an Impala SS....whatever year they were out.

"Nekkid after a date w/stripper"

Well one can only hope so LOL

Sorry I could not resist. I choked on my coffee whe I read that. You may not have intended it funny, but I got a kick out of it.

Oh...the model looks great. A friend many years ago (high school) drove a 74 Caprice 2 door. He drove it several years until he later bought an Impala SS....whatever year they were out.

It was intentional :o

Thanks for the comments! This will be a fun diversion compared to all the Porsches I've built lately.

Hmmmm..............I think that song was one of those records that came out near the end of the year and into the next.

Here in Central PA, that song was being played very heavily on our local radio during April/May '74.

One reason I remember, is because I was very sick for about 2 weeks back then and all I could do is lie in bed and listen to the radio. I swear that song was played it seemed every 90 minutes! :o

I got nosy and checked out that song on Wikipedia and they list it as a '73 and '74 single. Nevertheless, a GREAT song just the same and probably one of the top driving tunes out there! :o

I'm sure that it must have been '73 because Central Pa is on some kind of six month lag on new music releases. It's funny you say that song was over played back then. I thought that was just something that has happened in the last 20 years. Boy was I wrong. It's been going on longer than I've been alive! :o

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten some good progress so far. Body was primed/filled/block sanded, there were some sink marks and mold lines that needed attention and the fit of the hood wasn't great. It's now wearing it's first coats of "mixed by eye" lime yellow paint (enamel), the interior is pretty much finished in a medium green, the vinyl top will be the same color as the interior. The flocking looks better in the bucket than in the photo for some reason, though I did have to mix the color. Whitewalls were done w/a fine tip gel pen and a circle template.

IMG_3391-vi.jpg

IMG_3394-vi.jpg

I've gotten some good progress so far. Body was primed/filled/block sanded, there were some sink marks and mold lines that needed attention and the fit of the hood wasn't great. It's now wearing it's first coats of "mixed by eye" lime yellow paint (enamel), the interior is pretty much finished in a medium green, the vinyl top will be the same color as the interior. The flocking looks better in the bucket than in the photo for some reason, though I did have to mix the color. Whitewalls were done w/a fine tip gel pen and a circle template.

IMG_3391-vi.jpg

IMG_3394-vi.jpg

Looks Real Good Bob B) Makes me want to try and dig out my '74 that was partially converted to a rag(previous owner, and top was beyond repair) and finish it!!(Sucks that I am really Busy with work, and my Storage Unit is 45Miles from me)...

Really like the Interior, it reminds me of my Father's '71 Kingswood Interior :D

Looks great! The interior pic is dynamite!

You know I have a fondness for those!

I think a '74 is the only one I don't have.

Looking forward to seeing it in Bham!

Gotta have some Donk wheels on it! :huh:

It's the same car that's on your flyer, it had to be done. Not sure about exactly how it'll be shown on Saturday, I may end up doing 2 chassis. It will be on the theme table :unsure: