Model Cars Magazine Forum

Am I the first to lose a model?

My story is an IMC Beatle kit that had not been finished but went back in the original box but apparently got up and ran away from home. That was many, many years ago and it's yet to come back. Isn't it amazing that no wonder how odd the modelling story there will still be quite a number of us who have had a similar experience.

You did an excellent job on this ikit and you're at least lucky enough to have a good photo to remember what you had.

P.S. I'll keep my eyes open on the local dumpsters just in case your Cobra has managed to find its way this far north and west :) .

I lost a Renault Dalphene body somewhere in my model room. It's been missing for something like ten years now.

Somebody lost a model at NNL East many years ago! Usually we get a call within a day or two, once someone notices it's missing. Not this time. We even checked through all the filled out registration forms and checked everyone's posted photos for clues, no help. I sent notes to clubs in attendance, nobody! So it's been sitting in my display case for years, just hoping someone will say something. I'm not going to say what it is but if someone emails me and describes it, it can go home! It's running up quite a storage fee here! :rolleyes:

I have a good size list of Lost models.

2 Mission Impossible Coronet convertibles built,

68/9 Bonneville, 72 Grand Prix. and more.

These were lost sometime around 71-72. We moved from NASA Wallops, Va, to Pocomoke, Md.

I was only 10 so................ Memory is not the best.

Most recent, LRE Dodge unbuilt re-issue and 2 Longbox Dodge Pickup restoration projects

Put those in a large shoe box, and moved it up to my attic, but can not find it now!!
Found what I thought was it, but empty!!!!

Not a model, but a slot car. In 1972 I was warming up at the track for a race. I had my box next to me open, with a bullet of a group 7 car in it. A couple homies came up to me and tried to chat as I was practicing. Well, one of the dirty you-know-whats distracted me while the other stole the car. It still irks me today, I had a lot of bucks and all the best stuff in it. I had even placed 7th in a Car Model national race. I was the only non-pro in the main. Grrrrrr. I wish a pox on their souls!

lost an entire 1/16 scale Street Charger project 16 years ago, only to find it in the basement 3 years after we moved in here. I lost it long before I moved out of my parents house, only for it to "appear" in a a box of stuffafter My wife and Ihad moved to a new house?

I have--someplace--a built MPC '33 Chevy panel van. It's stock and unpainted black plastic, and I probably bought it about 20 years ago. It's in a baseball card box. Remember where it was before I moved in 1999. Went missing for about a decade until it popped up one day when i was looking for something else. So of course, I left it where I found it. Now, I have NO clue where it is. Have looked for it a couple times since last summer with no luck. It's safely tucked away, and when I find it again it is coming out of that box and going into a clear display case!

I have had a few vandalized while on the table years ago.

I also have had quite a few damaged in my house. I discovered it was not the kids or pets, but wife #2.

I was building a car, a '49 Ford, and putting a lot of love and attention into it. Well I decided to build two at the same time as a test. I hid the '49 when finished, and took the completed build, an AMTMustang as I recall, up to be admired by the family. Back then my daughter sat nearby building her own stuff or "helping" dad. She was in on the plan, even at 9 she was a good schemer............................

Anyway lo and behold the 'stang was "somehow" damaged within three days of completion. I took the kids, my stuff, moved out and never looked back.

G

No problems with model security here in PA. My wife is totally in tune with my models. She sees it as my art and the key to my sanity. She's big on my sanity. Kids are grown and living in NJ! My daughter the younger did empty an entire bottle of glue into an interior once when she was 4. Now she's 24 so she's over that stage!

Geez Wayne, I can relate. In 1988 I started divorce proceedings. Shortly after I came home to find all my built models arranged neatly on the floor, and stomped upon. Stuff from the early 60's to 1980-ish. I was so devastated, I didnt even look at a model for 20 years. I lost a Blue Beetle, Yellow Jacket, Un-Certain Tee, more unobtainium Monogram stuff, and a contest winning 55 Chevy. I still have the Chevy, but every time I look at the smashed roof I have issues. Best news is that I got the kid and the house. Shows what a loser the wife was.