Model Cars Magazine Forum

85 GMC Van 8/9/17 Fixed for Fotki

Since it's almost fall. it's about time for me to start another project BEFORE finishing anything! This is my daughter's old van she had in school about 8 years ago. It was a 1985 GMC long wheelbase G3500 1 ton with the 8 lug wheels. After another post searching for the kit and pieces to start with, I got many responses with all the info I needed from the great members here! Here's a few photos of the van as a reference for the build here:

ReneeVanP6291591

sized for window printP6291600

rear P6291588

I got started with the interior first, which I thought at first wouldn't need any modifications. Come to find out, the dash and console were all wrong so I got the dremel out and started grinding away. The console had a straight slope up to the dash and the dash has small flares on both sides that incorporate into the console. The photos at least show the amount of mods needed to fix this. This is still in the works, so more photos on next post.

Start of interior mods:

Dash Start DSC 6463
Console ground down and top dash lip extended:
dash ground DSC 6464
Framework for console face added and dash face mocked up"
Console frame DSC 6466

I welcome all questions, comments, or criticisms

Edited by Foxer

This should be interesting! Are you going to duplicate the bumper stickers on the rear door too?

All the stickers in the back will be done with decals. I took closeup photos when she had it with the idea of making it in 3D. That never happened, but now they come in handy. The window stickers are not clear in my photos so some will need to be recreated for the decals.

Just saw that I never mentioned the starting kit ... the AMT A-Team Van, which is an '85 GMC Van with the grill and headlights I need. You TV fanatics can just cry ... It's getting butchered and rusted! The body is the same as all the previous Chevy vans but doesn't have the window impressions inside the body for easy cutouts. Not a big deal and a Chevy Camper would have made my job easier... but not for the $300 wanted for the only one on ebay!

A Tam Model Box index

Edited by Foxer

Been slow with all going on here but got one update on the dash/console progress. The center console piece is just placed in there and the rod sticking out of it is NOT a shift lever! .. just a temporary grab hold. Think it's time to get some gauge holes located before gluing in too much more ... at least some planning time on that as the form is looking good to me now.

Dash with fillers DSC 6499

I've been going back and forth with my straight 8 Chrysler turbo system and haven't even started a WIP on that yet, so they snuck in for a photo opportunity. B)

Edited by Foxer

Just a workout with the new micro punch set I got to put the gages in. These punches are going to see some use here... I really like what they do! Started some filler also to get shapes finalized.

You can see I acquired a GMC Pickup dash which has the slight flares at the ends. Haven't decided yet if I'll hack the left end off to patch to the dash or just do it in sheet plastic. At least it gives me a better idea of the flare. The right side I'm leaving flat into the console ... it's pretty subtle anyway.

Dash  before primer DSC 6922

Edited by Foxer

Little by little this one is actually advancing! The major dash work is complete .. just needs holes in main dash panel for ac/heater controls. Unit is in first primer coat ready for fine putty work. I did chop up the '84 pickup dash for the left side piece and will be patching in the A/C controls too. :rolleyes:

Dash first primer DSC 6925

DashInPrimerDSC 7313

Edited by Foxer

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys. :) It may seem to be going slow, but it's FLYING by my usual standards! eheh

And, a little update tease with the patterns for the RED CARPET ... just wait for the leopard skin mattress! Yes, this is a Hippie Van of the 90's! :P

Carpet pattern DSC 7014

image.thumb.png.b0eb3e616662739b816ceb0182c0d990.png

Edited by Foxer

• 2 weeks later...

It's been over a week since my last post? B) It's leaf season here and the past few days have been spectacular weather! Only excuse I'm offering, but I do have an update. I wanted to do these midway, so heres some windows started. They were taped out horizontally and vertically drawn using a square. I drilled a small hole in some .02 sheet off a 90 degree corner at the center of the larger drill I would use for the corner radius. The final holes are in the photo and the little template is there above the file in the last photo. Simple but effective getting the corners in so I just need to cut between them.

window layout DSC 7180

I've also been working on making the interior panels. This photo shows the blue vinyl that wrapped around the inside. I'm gluing strips to a .02 base using 1/8" Evergreen V-groove for the rolled pattern. Just getting started here, but you can see what's going on. That lovely 70 year old bastard file acting as a straight fence is my grandfathers and my favorite. B)

doc interior back P6291596

Interior Ppanel DSC 7182

Edited by Foxer

Your daughter drove that thing? How many arguments did that start when you gave her the keys, lol.

This is a super cool build though, good work!

She was going to Stockbridge Agricultural School at the time, over 21 and also had a '95 Probe GT at the time. She said she got it from one of the Mexican workers at the farm for $500 ... maybe 10 years ago. I have no idea why she needed 2 vehicles, but she IS a car girl! ;)

2 updates in 2 days! I'm moving now . :D

Got the windows cut out ... this is a big one for me ... been starring at that windowless van for a month! It all came out good ... about 2 corners to putty and a bit more filing to square up. I'm a happy camper tonight. Probably should take the night off! :D

Windows DSC 7208

Edited by Foxer

Wow, Mike. How did you get the windows that even? The only thing I can think of is a VERY long blade or a jigsaw.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks, Charlie, but all I did was "draw" the top and bottoms with tape starting with the front windows. That was a good guide and responsible for most of it. After the corner holes, I just cut them out with a small round blade in the dremel. ... and file and sand to the marked edges.

Edited by Foxer