Model Cars Magazine Forum

Landman's Models

landman

I thought I'd post some of the models I have built. All are box stock and are probably 20-odd years old. They've moved about three times and many have lost parts. Some I haven't found yet. I tried my new anti-static brush. It works fairly well but obviously they'll need a more thorough cleaning. Here goes. The '32 Ford phaeton has lost part of its exhaust , one cowl lamp and the back window.

IMG_0305.jpg

I think I'll use parts from the coach to repair it.

IMG_0306.jpg

The Chrysler was one of my first attempts at using foil.

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

I took those photos with a little Canon PowerShot. it has a macro feature. While it allows you to shoot fairly close up it doesn't have a lot of depth of field. Next time I'll try with my wife's digital SLR.

Here's a few more. As you can see my attempt at chroming with a brush on the Ford was rather poor. Also, the bodies on all three of them weren't painted, I jut clearcoted the plastic as it came. I did attempt some detailing on the engines and interior though. After looking at some of the awesome stuff in here, I think I'll redo some of them.

1939FordCoach.jpg

1940LincolnContinental2.jpg

1940LincolnContinental.jpg

1930PackardSpeedster.jpg

1930PackardSpeedsterEngine.jpg

And then today, while rummaging for something, I spotted a suspicious looking box. Looks like there is more to discover.

IMG_0314.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dug out a few more. Looking at them, I see all the things I didn't do that are de rigueur here. The Mustang and the two Ferraris were painted. I can't remember what with. The Caddy was just clearcoated like some of the others. The saran wrap it was in too some of it off, hence the blotches.

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still unpacking and came across this one which will be a definite rebuild. My wife had a 1976 Volaré for 12 years. This photo shows it in 1988 showing some rust along the bottom.

Volareacute0005.jpg

Later I built a model of it. Somehow the paint on the hood had cracked or bubbled and my wife undertook to strip it ending up gouging it. I had applied filler and primer but obviously didn't finish it. So now I'd like like to redo it properly. I'll need one taillight and one mirror. The kit has bucket seats and a console as well as a 318. Where should I look for a bench seat , a slant 6 and the proper hubcaps?

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

I'm glad they survived all the packing/moving/unpacking !

The wire wheels on your Ferraris look very fine.

I had a problem with food-wrap when I used it for masking.

It left marks in the surface, or took off the shine. Whichever it was, I shall keep it far away from my models in the future.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not boring at all, it's like a journey of discovery and it's great to see these models enjoying the light of day once more!

You are absolutely correct. As I dig, I find several that I had forgotten about. the Saran Wrap saved the parts but stuck to the paint here and there. Most of them will require some sort of touch up. I'll also need to design & build some storage. In any case, I likely have modelling work for the rest of my days. Here's a few more.

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg