#41 Nitro Neil

Nitro Neil

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Full Name:Neil Van Zile, Jr.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

You will all be glad to know that Round2 was displaying the following box art and built model at the NNL East over the weekend.

DSCN1238-vi.jpg

#42 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

From what I understand ----and believe me , I'm as dumb as a bag of bricks---- the 1964 Super Stock Plymouths and Dodges were available in two flavours :

-- Early , Stage III 426 Wedge were 'sedans' (e.g. , the B-pillar / framed glass)

-- "Late" , 426 Hemi were hardtops

I could be *wrong* on this ; it may've been a wives' tale from eons ago that the Wedges were 'sedans' and Hemis were hardtops .

#43 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

As far as I know of, ALL RO series ( aka - race hemi packaged cars ) 1964 were 2 door sedans

I only know of one Race hemi 2 door hardtop ( and its a nascar hemi pkg) it's a 2 door Dodge hardtop ( green car )

#44 Jim_Kampmann

Jim_Kampmann

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Kampmann

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Well here's Al and his '64 Hardtop. This was an original promotional photo from 1964. He also had a Sedan. Look on the web, it's not hard to find. If you still doubt that the real car ever existed, don't buy the model kit!

Personally I'm ecstatic to have the kit back on the shelves again!

Jim Kampmann

Attached Files

#45 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Then there's the truly obscure 1964 NASCAR 426 Hemi Belvedere hardtop ! I first read about one and saw pics of it in Mopar Action back in c.1990 or so . It was red / red and had the single 4 Bbl induction and cowl-plate-air cleaner .

#46 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

http://www.moparmax...._1-lions-1.html

#47 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

Well here's Al and his '64 Hardtop. This was an original promotional photo from 1964. He also had a Sedan. Look on the web, it's not hard to find. If you still doubt that the real car ever existed, don't buy the model kit!

Personally I'm ecstatic to have the kit back on the shelves again!

Jim Kampmann

Trust me, I am well aware there was a Lawman in a  1964 Plymouth 2 door hardtop,,,my comment was to the fact I don't believe a Hemi 2 door hardtop ever existed as a factory built car.

Every reference I have on the Lawman is the 2 door hardtop was a maxwedge car, and the 2 door sedan was a Hemi car.

Max wedge cars usually have the 4 headlight grille, and the double lump hood scoop.

Hemi cars were 2 headlight grille and a wider and longer but almost smooth top hood scoop

#48 Jim_Kampmann

Jim_Kampmann

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Kampmann

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Here's the Hemi car you're referring to. My guess is Ekstrand got a Sedan later in the year (hence this photo at Indy). You are correct, this car would have the single headlight grille, Hemi scoop, etc. The Hardtop would have been at Pomona in '64. Remember, the 426 Hemi became available in '64 with King Richard at Daytona (also a hardtop).

Jim Kampmann

Attached Files

#49 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

Probably never.

Looks like never is now  DSCN1238-vi.jpg

#50 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

I don't really understand all the hullabaloo over this kit. It's nothing but a decal and box art change from any one of the earlier 64 Plymouth kits is it not ?

IMO, if they want to really make a splash with it , tool it to reflect a sedan body

Edited by gtx6970, 25 April 2013 - 02:23 AM.

#51 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:05 AM

No - it's a version that previously would have taken the purchase of 2 kits (A 64 Belvedere and one of the Dodge Super Stocks) and a seriously inaccurate set of decals from Fred Cady to build a reasonable facsimile of this car.   

The Belvedere was only done as a street car and Nascar HEMIs, it was never done as a Super Stock.

Lindberg's sprue layout made it close to impossible for them to easily box up the parts needed to do it, you need something from almost every tree in both kits to build it. 

Would a 2-door post or a Savoy be cool, if not cooler, sure, but that would take a new-tool body.  Maybe we'll get it down the road, but for now getting Lindberg back to relevance for as little $$$ as possible would appear to be Round 2's mission. 

There were resin Savoy bodies (R&R?) out there, made for the Johan kit IIRC. 

Edited by Brett Barrow, 25 April 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#52 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:35 AM

Oh don't get me wrong It's good to have the Lindberg Mopars  back no matter what variant.  I'll buy a few,,,,, well just because.  And I assume this will be a max wedge car  ?

Anyone know if the all of the secondary color is going to be via decals ( similar to the Color Me gone Dodge ) or just the side panel lettering ?

I think R+R makes a sedan and like said I think it's for the johan chassis. but I think JF makes one for the LIndberg kit.

But I was less than pleased with either, so I have already started a conversion to make my own 2 door sedan for the Lindberg kits.

Edited by gtx6970, 25 April 2013 - 05:44 AM.

#53 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,124 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

I think R+R makes a sedan and like said I think it's for the johan chassis. but I think JF makes one for the LIndberg kit.

But I was less than pleased with either, so I have already started a conversion to make my own 2 door sedan for the Lindberg kits.

MCW makes a 2dr sedan body that works w/ the Lindberg kit, it's pretty nice.

2nd64plydrsed.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall, 25 April 2013 - 05:24 AM.

#54 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:15 AM

The Belvedere hardtop would be 100% correct if done as an early '64 season Stage III Max Wedge.  

The 2-door posts and 2% Hemi Lawmen (Lawmans?) came later in the '64 season. 

I would hope for separate lettering to do allow the modeler to do the candy orange (or is it red? - color pictures show tinges of both) as paint, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they also offered the orange on the decal sheet.  All they have to do separately is the "Al Eckstrand" in white. If they wanted to throw a little bonus in there, they could add the decals to do the 64 2% Hemi post car as Joe Aed's '65 season C/Altered class record holder (Eckstrand sold him the 2% car after the 64 season and Aed gutted the interior and added Hilborn injection but kept the paint scheme intact with new lettering) - but that was a post Belvedere with 2-light grille, though.  Still had full trim on the sides.         

Round 2 could have fun with this tooling, a 2-door post body and 2-light grille and Hemi scoop (though early Hemi cars still ran the Max Wedge scoop), would open up all sorts of possibilities for them to use the Hemi from the Petty Nascar version.  I wouldn't put it past them, but not right away.      

Edited by Brett Barrow, 25 April 2013 - 05:22 AM.

#55 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

I'm not 100% sure of the dark color.

In some pics I've seen it looks copper or  bronze, others it looks like candy apple red.

There is a 1/1 clone out and about a few years back at the US Nationals and it looked bronze. When I asked about the color, the guy I talked to didn't know much about the car other than it was a replica of the max wedge car

#56 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

Doing a little googling and came across this post, has pics and details of the built-up prototype box art model - might have a little relevance now...

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=24175

#57 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

In some pics I've seen it looks copper or  bronze, others it looks like candy apple red.

There is a 1/1 clone out and about a few years back at the US Nationals and it looked bronze. When I asked about the color, the guy I talked to didn't know much about the car other than it was a replica of the max wedge car

I'd venture a guess that the real deal was candy apple red over a gold base, which would have been the norm for custom painters at the time, I doubt it was an off the shelf factory color.  The white was the factory Spinnaker White. 

Funny, but in Davis' Super Stock book, the Lawman is referenced as "White and Orange" in the text, but "White and Candy Red" in one of the color photo captions.  In the color photo of the 2% Hemi car after Joe Aed bought it shows up as more red than orange. 

That's my call, anyway - candy red over gold, giving an orange tint in the right light.   

#58 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:18 AM

Most likely the original cars used Chrysler Turbine Bronze as the secondary color all things considered.  The restore clone used a Plymouth Prowler color that was similar to it.  

Steve

#59 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Here's the page from Davis' Super Stock that has a pic of the hardtop Lawman and the 2% Hemi car after it was sold to Joe Aed on the same page and the red in the 2% Hemi car is obvious, and the caption of the hardtop even says "candy red". 

lawman-vi.jpg

Turbine Bronze wasn't a factory color until, what, 67 or 68, amirite?  But any paint shop in America in 1964 could have laid down a candy red (or orange or orangey-red) over gold.   

Still, Turbine Bronze would look cool on a model, I wouldn't fault anyone for going that route.   

#60 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

Turbine Bronze wasn't a factory color until, what, 67 or 68, amirite?  

When did the Chrysler Turbine cars debut? '63?

It does look like Turbine Bronze in the sunlight.  :wub: