Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Ford Falcon Station Wagon

Steve_L

These are pictures of the 13th project in my build theme of "Models of Cars I Have Owned or Driven." In late 1960, my Dad brought home a new 1961 Ford Falcon Station Wagon for our family car. I immediately hated the looks, color and gutless performance. However, I said nothing because my Dad originated the phrase "It's my way or the highway." I had a lot of "first dates" in that car, but not many "second or third dates." That was because many girls did not want to be seen in a station wagon with a fold down rear seat. LOL!

I combined an AMT 1961 Ranchero styrene kit with a ModelHaus resin 2-door Station Wagon kit and converted it to a 4-door. The good news was that I found a reference picture of me and my brother John next to the car. The bad news was that I found that reference picture; I realized I needed to add the side trim and roof rack to the build. And I needed to take out a loan for the BMF, too. LOL!

I modified the front seat and painted the interior with Desert Sand Duplicolor Interior paint. I followed that with BMF and detail painting. I made the side and rear window glass from clear .010 styrene plastic. I used .040 half round styrene for the side trim and made the roof rack supports from .060 half round. I adapted other roof rack parts from a 1959 Rambler kit and my parts box. I had the Mint Green paint custom mixed at a local auto paint store and shot it through my air brush. I covered that with Duplicolor Clear and finished up with polishing pads plus Novus and Meguires polish.

I had a lot more fun building the model than I ever did driving the 1:1 car!

Enjoy!

Carousel8005A.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5857.jpg

IMG_5866.jpg

IMG_5865.jpg

IMG_5864.jpg

IMG_5863.jpg

IMG_5862.jpg

Very nice Stephen! I'm not much of a wagon fan myself, probably mostly because my mother carted me around in every ugly Mopar wagon produced from about 1965-1978. :) But it's a very nice conversion! I had a good friend back in the early 80s who had a '61 Falcon 2 door sedan that we "dubbed" the "Flintstone Mobile" because the floor boards were so rusted out you could watch the road go by between your knees! :D Great job!! Steve