Model Cars Magazine Forum

New from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

greetings!

I'm currently seeking to pick up a new/old hobby in model building. I'm currently in a hard rock band and have been living the musician life for 17 years now and i'm ready to hang it up for good so I can be home for the family.

I use to build model cars as a kid before i picked up the drum sticks and I never looked back until recently. I'm not sure where to start though. I like to think that i'm an advanced builder or at least i'm capable of it.

Where did your journey begin with model building and what were some of the more difficult obstacles to overcome? What do you recommend for starting up as far as tools and other accessories go? I want to eventually be able to tackle any project at any level of expertise so the sky's the limit as well as my budget just don't tell the wife ;)

Thank you in advance and I look forward to meeting all of you!

Russell,

Welcome back! There are so many things that have probably changed since you last worked on models.

You just missed the Milwaukee NNL last week, it would have been a great place for you to see what is happening in the hobby as well as meet some great people.

There is a model club that meets down in Milwaukee (AMG) and has some great guys in the club. Spend some time here on this forum and you will see a wide variety of skills and models on display.

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome Russel. I learned a lot for from Bill Coulter's books. I highly recommend them. I understand there are a lot of modeling building videos on youtube. I can't recommend any as I haven't really checked them out.

I would recommend that you really focus on building your basics modeling skills before you try to tackle the more advanced techniques you will find on this forum.

Some basics skills include:

• Ceanup all your parts by removing the molding seam and injector pin marks (emery boards, small files and sand paper work great).
  • Get a nice pair of side cutters for removing parts from the trees. I use Fiskars brand that I bought at Michaels. You don't want to twist or break the parts off the parts trees or you will damage them.
  • Read through the instructions a few time before you start the build then follow the assembly order, this should minimize issue during final assembly.
  • Test fit your parts. Kit parts rarely fit perfectly together straight out of the box. If they don't fit correctly work on them until they do.

Remember a well assembled box stock build is still an impressive model. Hope you enjoy the hobby as much as I do.

JC

Russell,

The great state of Wisconsin welcomes you! (Racine)

I too had a hiatus from modeling, mine was 30 years! My problem is I have like 6 going right now and none of them are near completion, in hindsight I wish I would have kept it to one or two.

Great site with much talent!! If you ever need any paint or body advice I can help (see profile)

Again, welcome!!!

Jimmy "RASS"