Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaaaag XK120- Gentleman's Racer! Paint and Engine Update 7/26

jaymcminn

Here we go... the engine received some basic detailing that really makes it look like more than the simplified assembly it is.

P1040657_zps9q2gsvo3.jpg

P1040655_zps7n40o0q3.jpg

P1040653_zpssish2hdx.jpg

THe body was painted in the Tamiya Racing White with Racing Green stripe...

P1040635_zpsutsd4uqr.jpg

P1040634_zps8rhreoro.jpg

P1040633_zpshrkq2dwt.jpg

I'm pretty much in final assembly now, as it's been a fairly cruddy weekend here. Waiting on some VRM roundel decals... trying to decide between black or yellow roundels at this point.

Edited by jaymcminn

I just finished Revell AG 1945 MG TC. To keep the Revell AG theme going, I dragged the Jag out again. Started building this at least a decade ago, and put it away in frustration.

So far I've cleaned up the body, opened the doors on each side, opened the boot (trunk in USA lingo). The doors have prototypically correct hinges made from brass plate. The interior panels also had to be cut once the doors were opened.

The opening doors also meant I've had to cut recesses into the chassis or floorboards where it's recessed at the door areas, and build up the panels at the front and back of the door jambs. Consequently, the underside of the doors have been built up to the correct profile.

Pictures to follow in a later seperate thread.

Edited by warra48

I just finished Revell AG 1945 MG TC. To keep the Revell AG theme going, I dragged the Jag out again. Started building this at least a decade ago, and put it away in frustration.

So far I've cleaned up the body, opened the doors on each side, opened the boot (trunk in USA lingo). The doors have prototypically correct hinges made from brass plate. The interior panels also had to be cut once the doors were opened.

The opening doors also meant I've had to cut recesses into the chassis or floorboards where it's recessed at the door areas, and build up the panels at the front and back of the door jambs. Consequently, the underside of the doors have been built up to the correct profile.

Pictures to follow in a later seperate thread.

Can't wait to see them. The Jag is done and looking pretty nice... just waiting for roundel decals from VRM to complete it before going to Under Glass. Might have to take some "pre-roundel" pics tomorrow and post them up here. Looking forward to your build!

As promised, here are some pics of the Jag finished except for last-minute decals...

P1040671_zpsmzapsbhq.jpg

P1040661_zpspenpif1m.jpg

P1040672_zpsk3adqirk.jpg

P1040669_zpscwn5pejg.jpg

Here's a good shot of the interior. Notice the scratchbuilt aero rear-view mirror between the windscreens.

P1040665_zpswevgskhz.jpg

If my decals ever come (hurry up, VRM!) I'm going with black roundels and white numbers. Or yellow roundels and black numbers. Still trying to decide... Under Glass shots are probably going to have to take place outdoors, as it is impossible for me to get the lighting right with my indoor setup to get the colors correct and fixing it in Photoshop leads to all sorts of weird artifacts.

Edited by jaymcminn

• 2 months later...