Model Cars Magazine Forum

59 Ford Skyliner retractable - built last year

Sixties Sam

I built this Revell Skyliner last May, and never posted it here. It's a repop of the old 1960's kit with the multi-piece body, and it was not real easy to build. The body gave me no problems, but the top had some fit issues. I took it off twice and did some sanding and filing to get it close to being right. The paint is Krylon. I don't remember the color name, but it looked very 50's-ish, so I used it. I attempted to build one of these kits in the 60's, when I was a teenager, and gave up on it. I think I put gas in it and burned it - did that to many of my crappy models back then!

I am 1 more who gave up on the top and gave mine a glue bath and lit the match. Sooty black smoke not good in the basement. :P 

You are to praised for your fine job this time around. I still don't have the patience to try it again. Azgary

Nice model, I only ever had the old flat box with this on the artwork. I never really fancied it as it looks a lot like the assembly of the Ford Country Squire.

Funny how this style was not adopted very much on the real cars back then. Nowadays, especially on European convertibles these foldaways are now common with a little refinement 

Very nice. Yes this was a difficult kit to build when I was a kid back in the 80s. I built the "Skips fiesta" version and it turned out nice, like this one,  after a lot of work. Still have it in my display case. It fell apart from old age a couple years ago and I had to re assemble it. I always liked it cause the top was functional. I've even worked on the real cars and was surprised to see the model replicates the retractable top mechanism almost exactly. The actual roofs to these cars are quite heavy as I found out when I had to assemble a real 57 for a customer. Interesting tidbit about the top mechanisms. they are cable driven by motors and controlled by a wild relay box behind the rear seat.

Question: are these the correct wheel covers for a 59? and did your kit version come with them?   My kit came with incorrect olds fiesta flipper bar covers. 

Edited by Rotorbolt73

I believe that those are the correct hubcaps for '59....I built that Skip's version back in the 80's as well and it had the Olds hubcaps....years ago picked up a set of the correct hubcaps and have yet to install them.

And indeed the OP's model is very nice....love the color combo.

I did the same thing back in the '60's when I first built this kit....couldn't get it right back then so I burned it LOL!

Edited by Crusader101

I built one of the '70s reissues long ago; top worked real well and the body wasn't too hard. Later did some ill-advised customizing and finally parted it out; the engine and a few other bits are in my '61 Ford wagon project. I also parted another reissue to build up a PMC Ranchero; the parts fit together remarkably well.

Question: are these the correct wheel covers for a 59? and did your kit version come with them?   My kit came with incorrect olds fiesta flipper bar covers. 

Those are the wheels/tires that came with the kit. The kit was molded in green, and had rubber tires with whitewall inserts, whereas the old 1960's kit had plastic tires and decals for the wide whites. I still have one wheel from my original.

Sam