Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Buick Invicta Hardtop, Update 9/29, Engine Finished.

StevenGuthmiller

Next up to the plate is this nice '61 Buick hardtop I picked up on ebay quite a while back.

It's in pretty nice condition, but there are a few small issues to take care of.

This kit seems to have a little more problem with mold lines & the like than some of the others from the era.

I think I'm going with a 2-tone paint job on this one.

White or off white with the center "cove" area inside of the trim either "Laguna Blue" or "Turquoise".

Most likely I'll go with the turquoise because I already did a '61 Bonneville in "Jewel Blue" which i the same color as the Laguna Blue. Although it is one of the nicer blues I've ever used.

Now, off to do my least favorite job ever.....body prep!! :(

Steve

photo DSCN4406_zpskl7x9zec.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Go get 'em, Steve. You are so right about the mould lines on that one. I know you will do this one justice.

On my convertible, I had to re-shape the fenders and upper mouldings just to get them to look right. At this point, I want to put it together, but I am not sure as to how I am going to do it. I may do it as a period "Day 2" car, with a few minor alterations to "personalize" it, like my Dad and uncles did in the early '60's.

I'll be following this one.

I've gotten a start on it this afternoon & the "double" mold lines between the c-pillar & the upper rear quarter trim are a real pisser!!

These early AMT hardtops must have been an after thought.

Looks as if they just added a roof to the convertible kit & they didn't do a real good job!

I had the same issues with the '60 Buick.

But, it all worked out.

Steve

the "double" mold lines between the c-pillar & the upper rear quarter trim are a real pisser!!

At least there's enough material there that you can whittle the base of the C-pillar into the correct shape.

Ever built a '60 or '61 AMT Valiant? Now that's got mold lines - all over the rear end... :wacko:

Edited by ChrisBcritter

the "double" mold lines between the c-pillar & the upper rear quarter trim are a real pisser!!

At least there's enough material there that you can whittle the base of the C-pillar into the correct shape.

Ever built a '60 or '61 AMT Valiant? Now that's got mold lines - all over the rear end... :wacko:

Second that.

Charlie Larkin

Threw some color on this build over the past couple of days.

The colors are not an exact replica of original colors, but are close enough for me.

Original colors are "Arctic White" & "Turquoise".

The colors I used were Duplicolor GM "Dover White" & MCW 1969 GM "Azure Turquoise".

I really like the combo.

Tomorrow I should get started on clear coats.

Steve

photo DSCN4419_zpslh0s3hxg.jpg photo DSCN4416_zpsrzeofvjr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't given up on this project. Just been bogged down with things at work, so it's been going a little slower than I'd like.

The body is partially polished.

Hoping to finish that this weekend so I can start on the enviable job of foiling it! :P

The interior is taking some time as well.

A lot of masking & painting, but it's coming out pretty well.

I've been trying to get a "section" done every night if possible.

Hopefully, I'll finish that up this weekend as well.

I had a little difficulty finding photos of an Invicta hard top upholstery pattern to replicate.

A lot of convertibles, Lesabres & Electras, but very few Invicta hard tops.

I did find one "acceptable" photo to go by

The stripes look pretty flashy in the 3 shades of turquoise.

Anyway. here's what I've been up to.

Steve

photo DSCN4425_zpsrzdktggc.jpg photo DSCN4426_zpsi3gsdlpr.jpg photo DSCN4427_zpsao9skm10.jpg photo 61buick_11_jpg_800x600_autocrop_q85_zpsj6bmft1a.jpg

Interior is beautiful. Interesting paint scheme on the body,but if i know you right it will look great foiled up and everything added. 

Those awful moldlines you described are also located on a convertible body i have,a real pita to get good.

Amazing work, Steve! What did you use for the piping on the seats?

Thanks John!

Nothing special for the piping. Just paint.

I normally don't mess with the piping.

A lot of the cars from that era had piping that matched the vinyl anyway.

But I do think it adds a little more visual "pop".

They're really not that hard to do, and I think I might do them more often, where applicable at least.

Steve

Steven, you're just a "crazyman" with all that masking and painting on interiors...... but it does look outstanding.

Thanks Rich!

I've really gotten into spending more time on interiors.

Over the years, I was always so disappointed with how my interiors looked.

Even if the outside looked great, I found myself a little embarrassed with the mediocre look of my interiors.

So, I decided a while back that it was time to put a little more effort into the inside, even though you really don't see much of it when it's done, I know what's there & it bugs me if I feel I didn't at least put forth my best effort.

Plus, it's very satisfying to see what can actually be done with these 3 piece interior tubs from this era with a little extra work.

Steve