Model Cars Magazine Forum

What to do when frustration strikes?

4 dunks in the purple pond later I finally got my Sox & Martin 70 'Cuda painted to the good enough for me point. Jeez. 

What do you folks do when you get to that point?

I thought about putting it away for awhile but was afraid that would turn into forever.

I don't normally like to settle for good enough but I guess we all have our breaking point.

I guess it could be worse. Hopefully the clear will lay on nice.

20150816_152525.jpg

Normally I would just put the project away. I did have a ton of trouble painting an Monogram Lincoln not too long ago. 4 times I attempted the paint before I was happy. I had my mind made up I was getting this thing painted and that was that. I was surprised I did not toss it across the garage. I have in the past but I was much younger then. 29 years of being married tends to mellow you out some. : )

....this will sound crazy to most, but when this type of mess has happened to me back in the day, I would soldier on as you have....more work, more paint down the drain. if it happens nowadays with me, i'll throw the mess out, and start another car, or maybe the same kit again, or maybe pass on all of it for 6 months until my mood settles. it can sure drain a lot of fun from the hobby......the ace......:mellow:

I usually take a step away from the trouble and work on another part of the build that I'm on or just take a short break.

That's what my head says to do. It's hard not to carry my mindset from work over sometimes. I'm a mechanic in N.E. Ohio. Heart of the rust belt! The people I do work for need their cars. Sometimes you run into problems and putting it down isn't an option. I guess I need to figure out how not to carry that into the things I enjoy. I don't build for shows or contests. No sense pressing myself. Thanks all for your input on this! I knew I wasn't the only one who has had to deal with this.

Hobby?!? Fun?!?  Aw, go on. Quit pullin' our legs. Hobbies are the leading cause of psychotic episodes among people looking for relaxing diversions.  

Hahaha!!! I'm a believer.

That's what my head says to do. It's hard not to carry my mindset from work over sometimes. I'm a mechanic in N.E. Ohio. Heart of the rust belt! The people I do work for need their cars. Sometimes you run into problems and putting it down isn't an option. I guess I need to figure out how not to carry that into the things I enjoy. I don't build for shows or contests. No sense pressing myself. Thanks all for your input on this! I knew I wasn't the only one who has had to deal with this.

LOL. I've been a mechanic in Corpus Christi for close to 16 years now. The salt in the air here will rust the buttons off of your jeans if your not careful. lol. I hear you on the rush to get folks back their transportation on the recreational and business sides. Recreational is a lot easier to deal with than a guy loosing money every day you have his / her vehicle. That kind of pressure sucks. I have a good time building models though and try to leave myself enough time to make it to the next show.

Edited by mustang1989

A big freaking hammer!! and a foot print on it!!....no not really...but feel and want to.so far I have only stripped the paint twice.

third time lucky...or bless..maybe the lord felt sorry for me....as Ace said "soldier on"...I just keep going....Chris 

I have so many builds going on that's its easy to put a problem away and move to another. Whatever it was that caused the frustration usually gets solved, many times by a thread here, and I'll move on and get to the next frustration! :o