Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mad Max Gigahorse

Ridge Rider

Thanks guys. I am still building up the interior.  The roll bars are incorporated into the ceiling so I started with that first.  I also don't see a way of replicating the dash and lower door panels but would be interested in ideas for some kind unique look or finish.

gigahorse_015.thumb.JPG.a23df5599ca2942agigahorse_018.thumb.JPG.ea3e999f7f7868f7gigahorse_dash.thumb.jpg.356aef793d69a7d

and trying to figure out the fit and look of the middle roll bar-still a work in progress.

gigahorse_013.thumb.JPG.5d04e6911ccac8db

I did liberate a hinge from an old eyeglass case and finished the door.

gigahorse_016.thumb.JPG.914bb38425203393

It is getting a little challenging again and I have a feeling I will be finding out what doesn't work much quicker than what does.:D Thanks for looking.

Edited by Ridge Rider

You could do the dash with PE emblems...might cost a couple bucks though...or you can always do a post in the wanted section for them.....I am sure there might be a couple folks with some leftovers from ones that went missing onto the hobby room floor during the removal from trees.

Thanks for the ideas on the dash. Photo Etch would look the nicest but $ and resin casting emblems would probably age me prematurely and shelve this build.  Dave's idea had me do a google search and I found an image to mess around with.  It might work.

car_logos.thumb.jpg.bec5fbc43ce99fdb167e

The interior of the Gigahorse is coming along.

gigahorse_001.thumb.JPG.dce8b5c9256d8c4a

When the interior was curing I worked on the radiator shroud.  The frame is .060" sheet, the vertical bars are .040 x .080" strip spaced .060" with 5/32 tube added to the sides

gigahorse_004.thumb.JPG.55e15c9e08cc804dgigahorse_005.thumb.JPG.4c792e1dd99d1248

Thanks for the help and for looking.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Edited by Ridge Rider

I'm enjoying this build immensely. I loved the cars built for the film...and especially loved that the Gigahorse featured two functional supercharged engines, funded by the production design lead. So awesome.

For the dashboard emblems, you might be able to add some color to those logos, print them, and then emboss the paper from behind with a pencil tip to give them some 3D depth. It would be slow, but faster than individually casting emblems! Then they could be weathered or dry-brushed to add dust and aging.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had much build time but this project is still progressing.  The rear seats have different elevations  and looks depending on the camera angle/scene. I am going with the natural rear door folding down on the cushion.  While not an exact match I am trying to make the stock seat parts work.  After sectioning into six parts I have this.  It is still rough looking but I hope to salvage it.  Anyways I hope to make some more progress this weekend.  Thanks for looking.

001.thumb.JPG.64bb63db46bacb338796e3349b002.thumb.JPG.9d8efadeedb9b06660fc9987c2 

Edited by Ridge Rider

Thanks for the ideas on the dash. Photo Etch would look the nicest but $ and resin casting emblems would probably age me prematurely and shelve this build.  Dave's idea had me do a google search and I found an image to mess around with.  It might work.

car-logo-collage-wallpaper_zpspac1dd2d.j

Along the lines that Spex84 was suggesting, if you have access to a Die Cutter like the Silhouette Curio or Cameo, or know someone who has one, with the embossing tool, you could reverse the image and import it and have those emblems done on heavy stock, really thin plastic, or the Silhouette Embossing foil in fairly short order. On foil, with a wash, it should come out fairly close the reference image.

However you decide to go, this is one inspired build.

Edited by talon63

Thanks for the interest guys.  Bench time has been hard to come by lately.  I'm working on the front seats and have been cleaning up and sanding all the fill so not much to share yet.  Thomas,  I do not like putty so my filler of choice is styrene.  I put evergreen scrapes in a paint jar and add some liquid cement like Tamiya extra thin or Testors liquid.  I will let the cement melt the plastic.  I like to start with a thick sticky base mixture as this seems to be a good plastic/cement ratio.  For the picture you referenced I thinned  it down with Acetone until it was like slow dripping syrup and dripped it on with a toothpick.  As it starts to firm up it can be shaped a little with tools or a finger.  This mixture can evaporate quickly even in a sealed paint jar but it will rejuvenate with just some Acetone.  An added bonus is this bodywork is unaffected if I need to strip the paint and it's stronger than putty.

Allen, I have never heard of a die cutter but will investigate it further. Thanks Steve

A couple of people on here use them, I recently picked up a Silhouette Curio, but I didn't purchase the embosser yet. So far it's been great for creating mock-ups using card stock, and for cutting parts out of flat sheets of styrene. 

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=die+cutter+silhouette&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adie+cutter+silhouette

Thanks for following. Movie magic- in some scenes the passenger seat is solid  and others it is split.  I started with the first and ended with the latter.  The drivers seat is still in progress but they came from a Revell 48 woody. I could not make the stock Cadillac seats work to my liking.  While not perfect or an exact match I think I will be able to live with the results.

gigahorse_001.thumb.JPG.37242c7308b60c81gigahorse_002.thumb.JPG.f7ee2dee4e24be48

I could not figure an easier way to do the roll bars so I built them into the roof and body assembly.

gigahorse_004.thumb.JPG.b2820ad84f6b6742

That should be fun to paint/assemble. 

I am not big on super detail but steering wheels are a status symbol in this movie so my first in progress attempt.

gigahorse_005.thumb.JPG.321c1284294b1013     

While not perfect it may have promise.  I want to thank everyone for the help and suggestions and hope you stay along for the ride. Steve

Edited by Ridge Rider