Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ultrasonic Cleaners & Airbrushes

Is anyone using an ultrasonic cleanerarrow-10x10.png to clean their airbrush. I`m looking for some advise on table top ultra sonic cleanersarrow-10x10.png. My media of chose are lacquers and occasionally enamels. With the typearrow-10x10.png of lacquers I use (automotive quality thinned accordingly) I have run lacquer thinner to clear brush. I am considering getting a small table top ultrasonic to help with cleaning and maintaining my three bushes. It was recommended that I get a unit that has a heated tank (SharperTek i.e.). The sales rep stated: "Just and warm tap water to the tank select the amount of time you wish and the system will ultrasonically remove the debris." I`ve even seen YouTube video where air brush artist are using them. However, the are working with water based media like acrylics, tempera etc.

I aware that automotive quality lacquers and enamels require stronger solvents and thinners than the water based paints. Since the united is heated I do`nt want to run the risk of a fire or worst. So, if I don`t use some type of solvent will the unit will it thoroughly clean the residue from my airbrushes. And, if a need to use a solvent to get them truly clean does anyone have any recommendations of what is safe to use in an ultrasonic bath.  I told the  phone rep that I was using lacquers and enamels they suggested a product[IMG] they carried that was supposedly designed to be used with heated ultrasonic cleaning applicationsarrow-10x10.png called Shellac Buster. I have provided the advertised product uses below. My question is will a solvent of this nature harm the Teflon seal or rubber O-rings in the guns.
Engine & Carburetor Shellac Removal
Varnish Removal[IMG]
Carbon Removalarrow-10x10.png
Auto Restoration[IMG]
Cylinder Stripping
Adhesive Removalarrow-10x10.png
Tank Cleaning
Degreasing & Rust Removal
Coatings Removal
Aircraft Stripping
E-Coat Removal
Paint Overspray
Paint Removal
Powder Coat Removal
Resin Removal

In conclusion is it worth the expenditure and if so, does anyone have any recommendation on a specific unit I should consider for the tack.

Any thoughts on this are appropriated.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I use my ultrasonic cleaner with lacquer thinner to clean airbrush parts, works well.  I have the large tank model that Harbor Freight sells, unheated tank.  I'd be a little bit careful using a heated tank with volatile liquids, don't want anywhere near the flash point or vapor point.   I use windex for acrylics.

I was thinking about these machines as well, but as a way to improve the performance of the purple stuff on stripping paint. Trouble is they seem to be too small to immerse a car body.

So I am not alone with this thought. The one mentioned above is 2.5 liter. I wonder if it would foam up, or do they not shake that much?