Model Cars Magazine Forum

The least kitted brand....

Id love to see them bring back the 68,69 Lincolns made by AMT.   I have a 59 HT promo that needs some help for the roof.

Id also like to see them make a 71-73 Lincoln HT...they just look so classy to me.  

I think the 70 Buick Wildcat kit looks like a good one...curbside kits never bothered me one bit...they are what you make of them.

AMT Corporation made model kits of every model yearconventional Buick from 1958-66, several years in both hardtop and convertible versions, along with the 1961 Buick Special station wagon, and a 1966 Skylark.  Riviera's were done by AMT 1963-65, along with front drive Riv's later on.  Monogram did a 1970 Skylark in 1/24 scale, and there was a late 70's, Monza-based Skylark (US Airfix?).  Monogram also did the 1976 Grand National.

AMT also did the Riviera 1966-69. The '66 was one of my very first model cars, and still holds a special place in my heart.

The Closest to a Front Drive Riv I know of is the Old Crud TKM Resin 83!!

And YES I still Want one

it was the Indy Pace car!!!!!!

As for a Tatra car, I know of a few 1/25 kits

Not sure on price as at least one is out of Production

Maly Modelarz did one, and a few other PAPER Kit producers did TATRA cars!!

Not sure on a 76 Buick either

Monogram did the 80's Grand National & GNX

I have both

And AMT issued the Special Wagon Twice. 61 & 62. Again, I have both

ONLY difference is the grill!!!!!!

1956, 1968 and 1969, right?

I was mostly thinking '68 & '69.

There were all kinds of '56s produced over the years.

Not sure what's all still available, but most can still be found easily.

There was the Monogram 1/24th Belair hardtop, the old Revell sedan with the opening doors & trunk, the Revell Nomad & the newest Revell '56 Del Ray.

Those are the ones I can think of.

Steve

Alvis (none that I know of). Wouldn't you want a kit of this:

?

Vauxhall (a 1/32 Prince Henry is about it... oh, and an Airfix 1/32 1960s estate that hasn't been seen in years)

Bentley (anything that isn't a 4.5 ltr blower)

TVR, Noble

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

There was the Monogram 1/24th Belair hardtop, the old Revell sedan with the opening doors & trunk, the Revell Nomad & the newest Revell '56 Del Ray.

Those are the ones I can think of.

Steve

1/24? The scale disqualifies the kit for me. If it was a single kit of an isolated subject maybe, but to put 1/24 '56 Bel air next to 1/25 Nomad and Del Ray is out of the question for me.

The older Bel Air are pain to build. I would go for an MCW resin conversion, or Hendrix for 2DR sedan.

Finally, you mentioned Impalas and Bel Airs, not Del Rays :D

Alvis_TE_21_01pop.jpg?itok=_kZcesWy

?

Vauxhall (a 1/32 Prince Henry is about it... oh, and an Airfix 1/32 1960s estate that hasn't been seen in years)

TVR, Noble

bestest,

M.

I would deffinately buy a few of these if they kitted it!! -i'd do it just like the one Peter drove in "Kingdom"!!!!!

And what about a Tatra kit...

MMK Models does a pretty nice resin 1/35 (one-THIRTY-fifth, armor scale) Tatra 87.  It even has an engine.  And photo-etch parts, including the two big cooling grills in the engine cover. Which have to be very carefully blended with the resin.

Unfortunately the quality is variable. I bought 2 of these kits at the same time, long ago.  One was just about perfect. The other had quite a few pinholes and other dings in the resin body.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/images/MMK35014.jpg

1/24? The scale disqualifies the kit for me. If it was a single kit of an isolated subject maybe, but to put 1/24 '56 Bel air next to 1/25 Nomad and Del Ray is out of the question for me.

The older Bel Air are pain to build. I would go for an MCW resin conversion, or Hendrix for 2DR sedan.

Finally, you mentioned Impalas and Bel Airs, not Del Rays :D

Well, we were talking about kits & what has & has not been produced.

Scale was never brought up.

The Monogram '56 is the only styrene Belair kit to date whether we like it or not.

Personally, I don't care for it.

The body proportions are off & it looks a little "goofy" to me.

Yeah, I only mentioned the Belairs & Impalas, but the Delray was still a full sized car.

I'm a full sized car kind of guy & I really don't much care about the model.

The new Moebius '61 Ventura is a great kit, but personally, I would have preferred a Bonneville. :) Same with the AMT '62 Catalina.

Although, it's probably better that they did the Ventura & Catalina.

The '61 & '62 Bonnevilles have already been kitted, so these are something different.

Steve

One more:

150466527795.jpg

Or do you mean the Victor estate that was around 1/20th which was last issued in Russia?

(Airfix also made a Viva.)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

MMK Models does a pretty nice resin 1/35 (one-THIRTY-fifth, armor scale) Tatra 87.  It even has an engine.  And photo-etch parts, including the two big cooling grills in the engine cover. Which have to be very carefully blended with the resin.

Unfortunately the quality is variable. I bought 2 of these kits at the same time, long ago.  One was just about perfect. The other had quite a few pinholes and other dings in the resin body.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/images/MMK35014.jpg

Thank you for that link. I really wish they would make that in 1:24 or 1:25 aswell. I have some 1:35 kits but prefer 1:24/25 for cars.

A Packard Caribbean would be nice...

B)

As far as that "Toyoda" that looks exactly like an Airflow... as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

And they weren't the only ones.  Volvo and Peugeot, both released their own versions of the Airflow..

I could certainly go for a Caribbean model.  Same with a '56 Lincoln, or a '53 Buick Skylark.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

There really aren't enough Maseratis, street or racing. The 250F is a truly storied racer, and the Birdcage is legendary (albeit hard to kit). And what about all those 60s and 70s GTs -- a Ghibli to complement the existing Daytona and Miura kits? Indy, Bora and Merak? An MC12? And coming right up to date, a new Quattroporte or Gran Turismo.

One Monogram 3500GT and a handful (if that) of obscure Japanese ex-motorised early 70s kits isn't really doing justice to this great auto brand...

bestest,

M.

There really aren't enough Maseratis, street or racing. The 250F is a truly storied racer, and the Birdcage is legendary (albeit hard to kit). And what about all those 60s and 70s GTs -- a Ghibli to complement the existing Daytona and Miura kits? Indy, Bora and Merak? An MC12? And coming right up to date, a new Quattroporte or Gran Turismo.

One Monogram 3500GT and a handful (if that) of obscure Japanese ex-motorised early 70s kits isn't really doing justice to this great auto brand...

bestest,

M.

Airfix did a pretty basic 1/24 Bora, but you're right, there should be more.

Alvis_TE_21_01pop.jpg?itok=_kZcesWy

?

TVR, Noble

bestest,

M.

These are great looking cars,

British cars don't seem to get the respect of other European brands, but they have produced some really elegant cars over the years.

Other mainstream brands that have had little attention would be Volvo, Saab, Peugeot, and until recently Renault and Citroen. These all had success in racing as well as being sold worldwide.

I'd love to have one of these little Saabs

While they have not been ignored Mercedes and BMW have not been a well represented as I would expect. Lots there to choose from, BMW 2002, and Mercedes SL 230 seem like obvious choices.

Is Airtraxx currently in business? I've run across some on ebay that look like individual sellers clearing out a collection, but can't find any information to order from Airtraxx or even a retailer who carries them. I don't even know what continent they were based in.

I've seen both the Saab and a Volvo 120 series but they were being sold in a lot with a bunch of stuff I wasn't interested in. As they were being sold with 4 or 5 other unusual resin kits the price went well above what I was willing to pay for those two.

The photos I've seen look workable, although it is unclear what kits can be used to finish them as there is a lack of Volvo and Saab kits to begin with. I would assume the actual caster would offer suggestions. 

I think they are still active, at least I have not heard anything to say otherwise. They are based in Finland and has Juha Airio and Tapani Rauramo has the main driving forces behind the name.

Some pictures can be found here: http://public.fotki.com/tomcoolidge/scandinavian-resin/

I think you can possibly order them trough the Swedish Virago Hobby: http://www.viragohobby.se/product/?CT=1|6|223 But I don't see the Saab on that webiste at the moment.

But they will be very expensive in the US. I have a Mercedes Benz W111 220SE kit from them and like most resinkits it will require a lot of work. It is however mostly a complete kit so I don't have to source to much parts from other kits.