Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '66 Mustang New Release

MrBuick

I did fail to research first because I didn't even think about it...I'd never seen a kit molded like this aside from a snap kit, and the other "retro sticker" kits I have must be newer and have separate detail pieces. Unfortunately, this kit was ordered online, so I didn't have a chance to look at the bottom. I've calmed down a lot though...I still don't love it, but it is what it is. The biggest annoyance for me was the shock, and the fact that now the kit isn't going to really lend itself to what my original plan was, but I think I'll just build it box stock and practice honing my painting skills.

I did fail to research first because I didn't even think about it...I'd never seen a kit molded like this aside from a snap kit, and the other "retro sticker" kits I have must be newer and have separate detail pieces. Unfortunately, this kit was ordered online, so I didn't have a chance to look at the bottom. I've calmed down a lot though...I still don't love it, but it is what it is. The biggest annoyance for me was the shock, and the fact that now the kit isn't going to really lend itself to what my original plan was, but I think I'll just build it box stock and practice honing my painting skills.

I just wanted to say that I totally understand what you must of felt when you opened the box of the 66 and discovered what it wasn't. Your post above is spoken like a true champion and I'm glad to hear that you are going to keep at it. My painting skills could use some help too  (actually a  lot of help ). Thanks.      Jeff 

AMT Round2 has a 67 Shelby kit (or you could look up its sister kit, the 67 Mustang, and slide the chassis/engine compartment bits from one of these under to make a full detail model, like you have in mind.

it's funny, you know, that back when I was young, a model kit was more of a starting point for something else, not an end point. We NEVER EVER built one straight out of the box. Ever. We kit bashed and tweeked, and made every one unique. When I built a custom, my motto was - if you could tell what I started with, I wasn't finished. I remember back in Jr High Art class, when we were allowed to pick our own project, having to convince my art teacher to let me build a model, because he equated it to putting a puzzle together. And it seems more and more, with today's more detailed kits that aren't as receptive to kit-bashing, that this is the direction we are going. But I digress, Anyway, model kits are like a box of chocolates, so to speak. There will always be some that rise above your expectations, and some that disappoint you. But in the end, it's all about what what you make of what's in that box.

I built the Vette you see below from the MPC Streaker Vette when I was 16. Google Streaker Vette if you want to see what I started with.

IMG 4985rt

I built this kit in the Countdown series.

This was the First time I remember it on the shelf

I did NOT see the Flower Power kits at all

Though Did get 4 of the Desert Race/Rally series

3 different kits. 2 of the 59 Buick Invicta hardtop 'Boondock Bomber', the 61 Ranchero 'El Ranchero Grande'

& the 62 Galaxie hardtop 'Turista Turismo'

The Buick & Ranchero were Curbside, the Galaxie had an engine, but Few custom parts.

The Buick was Stock Only, the Ranchero had Custom Parts, but Not the Styline

pieces.

I have an Unbuilt of this Mustang from the Resto-Rods series too.

Yes, though too young to remember the original, I did build one

around high-school graduation time (1979)

And Yes, If I can afford one, would likely get this issue

I am Hoping that the 2 Curbside kits Model-King helped get re-issued 

with Ertl, the 64 Comet & 59 Imperial, get re-issued soon

Even though I have an unbuilt (Comet) or started (Imperial) of each

I would buy a few more of them both!!!!!!

I am Old enough to know most of the OLD AMT, MPC & even Jo-Han kits

I built MANY of them!

Some I still have, some I wish I did!!!

Not easy, but it is possible to convert a coupe to a fastback...

...or use a coupe to convert the fastback B)

Talk about your stalled projects; I did this surgery about thirty years ago and basically the only movement since was acquiring an interior from missing link  :unsure: 

mike

My big disappointment when I was in my first model building go round in the late 60's were the 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 kits. My choice was always the drag version and when the chassis had the stock exhaust and rear axle molded in-darn! My more experienced friends and the model magazines of the day suggested grinding them down-something far, far beyond my capabilities. The other big one was certain funny cars using the stock bodies with molded in windshield wipers and other stock body  features-also darn! I have found it helpful to research the sites with old box art and instructions to check out some of the re-issues out there before considering purchase.

AMT Round2 has a 67 Shelby kit (or you could look up its sister kit, the 67 Mustang, and slide the chassis/engine compartment bits from one of these under to make a full detail model, like you have in mind.

it's funny, you know, that back when I was young, a model kit was more of a starting point for something else, not an end point. We NEVER EVER built one straight out of the box. Ever. We kit bashed and tweeked, and made every one unique. When I built a custom, my motto was - if you could tell what I started with, I wasn't finished. I remember back in Jr High Art class, when we were allowed to pick our own project, having to convince my art teacher to let me build a model, because he equated it to putting a puzzle together. And it seems more and more, with today's more detailed kits that aren't as receptive to kit-bashing, that this is the direction we are going. But I digress, Anyway, model kits are like a box of chocolates, so to speak. There will always be some that rise above your expectations, and some that disappoint you. But in the end, it's all about what what you make of what's in that box.

I built the Vette you see below from the MPC Streaker Vette when I was 16. Google Streaker Vette if you want to see what I started with.

IMG 4985rt

nice vette there..looks like Vern inside there to the left. lol.

It would really be great if round2 or whom ever it is now would step up and create some new tooling. Yes I'd really love a 1965 2+2 or a 1/25 1965 Shelby. No I'm not interested in stuff that has been re-issued to nausea . I would love to support my LHS but I want new stuff. Thank goodness for Moebius .

It would really be great if round2 or whom ever it is now would step up and create some new tooling. Yes I'd really love a 1965 2+2 or a 1/25 1965 Shelby. No I'm not interested in stuff that has been re-issued to nausea . I would love to support my LHS but I want new stuff. Thank goodness for Moebius .

I'm sure that when the budget permits, they will. Give them time, they just bought the company from Learning Curve a while back, and they are a shoe string operation.

• 3 years later...

The optional 5-spoke wheels in the original issue always looked too modern to me, but after seeing this vintage AMT pic on the Scale Survivors facebook page, they are entirely age appropriate:

Parts010.jpg

AMTFullSizeWheels.jpg.bcb4f386fe00b993aec4970b30fd1d95.jpg

Have these same 5-spoke wheel ever appeared in another AMT kit? Were they only included in the original issue of the '66 Hardtop/Convertible kit?

AMT615666MustangHTCV.jpg.1f082775e13d7737080c708e759f2bfa.jpg

AMT66Mustang5spokewheels.thumb.jpg.385f26862993b0bea962df470a2ccd8b.jpg

Edited by Casey

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

The optional 5-spoke wheels in the original issue always looked too modern to me, but after seeing this vintage AMT pic on the Scale Survivors facebook page, they are entirely age appropriate:

Parts010.jpg

AMTFullSizeWheels.jpg.bcb4f386fe00b993aec4970b30fd1d95.jpg

Have these same 5-spoke wheel ever appeared in another AMT kit? Were they only included in the original issue of the '66 Hardtop/Convertible kit?

AMT615666MustangHTCV.jpg.1f082775e13d7737080c708e759f2bfa.jpg

AMT66Mustang5spokewheels.thumb.jpg.385f26862993b0bea962df470a2ccd8b.jpg

I've got a couple of built AMT Sonny & Cher Mustangs (the '66 annual body was altered into that) and one of those has the same style wheel.  I'm trying to piece together two of these cars without having to buy a complete kit (unless I trip over a cheap one).  I'm pretty certain the S&C issue had two sets of custom wheels, two sets of grilles, and two each of whatever else differed on the two 1:1 cars.

That said, I think the Monogram Badman '55 Chevy has a similar mag wheel, though on the front only.

6 minutes ago, Mark said:

I've got a couple of built AMT Sonny & Cher Mustangs (the '66 annual body was altered into that) and one of those has the same style wheel.  I'm trying to piece together two of these cars without having to buy a complete kit (unless I trip over a cheap one).  I'm pretty certain the S&C issue had two sets of custom wheels, two sets of grilles, and two each of whatever else differed on the two 1:1 cars.

There they are:

AMT66MustangSnC.jpg.15f16279a8a108c4abc3dad86769e687.jpg

Looks like the Sonny & Cher version is where the cross-lace (Appliance?) wheels originated, then later migrated over to the Iron Horse Mustang kit along with some other parts.

Looking at the original instruction sheet, the 5-spoke wheels were some model of Rader wheel:

AMT1966Mustang2.jpg

10 minutes ago, Mark said:

That said, I think the Monogram Badman '55 Chevy has a similar mag wheel, though on the front only.

Yes, you're right, they are probably designed after the same Rader wheel.

Thanks for the picture, I should hang on to that.  I've got some extra pieces that I fished out of parts boxes, but still there's a long way to go.  

The Monogram wheel might be coincidence.  Daniel usually designed everything on his cars, on some of the show rods even things like rear axles are "styled" and not based on any production car part.  The '55 is a more "normal" car though, so it would have more off-the-shelf parts than an all-out show rod would.

23 minutes ago, Mark said:

The Monogram wheel might be coincidence.  Daniel usually designed everything on his cars, on some of the show rods even things like rear axles are "styled" and not based on any production car part.  The '55 is a more "normal" car though, so it would have more off-the-shelf parts than an all-out show rod would.

True. I think the Monogram Fire Iron had similar, but narrower, spindle-mount style front wheels, too.

I didn't realize the main body of Sonny & Cher version of the '66 Mustang used separate bodyside inserts, but that custom side cove is not an insignificant thing:

AMT66MustangSnC2.jpg.e931e45b189593a4f8671ce4d79ad956.jpg

AMT66MustangSnC3.thumb.jpg.54a1e7334fdf799601630a4541cc2579.jpg

AMT66MustangSnC4.jpg.9679c47c02936070d324a5427b571c8f.jpg

Edited by Casey