Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID #194 Finished

It seems we missed #194, so here, have #194.

PM me with your answer (Make, model and year).

Please do NOT post anything in the comments that will help others to identify the vehicle.

Please do NOT use reverse image lookup, as it defeats the entire purpose of the game.

Nissan Cedric 31 Series  Mark 1  1963

http://www.earlydatsun.com/cedric31series.html

http://www.earlydatsun.com/nissan31mk2.html

autoid194-vi.jpg

Edited by otherunicorn

Was it that hard, or are people losing interest?

Probably a hard one. If I hadn't recognized it, I would have thought it was Russian, maybe Chinese, last choice German. The wrap-around windshield, quad lights and other American styling influences were showing up on a lot of cars those days, but I never would have thought Nissan / Datsun, or even really Japanese.

The one immediate tell that it probably IS Japanese would be the front wing-mirrors, but I don't know how many people would catch that hint right off.

I thought I had it straight away, in the 70's I worked at a Datsun dealership here in the UK. One day, a strange looking black 4 door turned up, it belonged to a guy who lived in Norway and had engine and transmission problems. The repair costs in Norway could have exceeded the value of the car, so his brother, a customer of ours suggested that he bring it with him on a family visit and let us have a go at it. It was a 65 or 66 Datsun 2000 Six, with a J20 ohv 6 and a three on the tree manual box. Neither the car, the engine nor the trans had ever been sold in the UK market so it made the job kind of interesting, but what the hey, we never looked at the instructions anyway. After a lot of research, we worked out that the engine and gearbox were closely related to the J15 4 cylinder with 4 speed manual in the recently released 620 pick up truck, so we were able to identify and order most of the parts from Datsun UK. The head gasket wasn't easily available though, I think that came from  one of the Scandinavian countries, or maybe the Netherlands. The alternative was a six week sea voyage from Japan. The car was successfully repaired and the owner was delighted. I've never seen another one which is a pity as it was quite impressive. We got it to idle smoothly at about 200 rpm (just to see if it could) and it had loads of torque. Anyway, back to the plot, as soon as I saw #194, I thought, yep, that's the one, went online to confirm it and.......... Oh, I'm wrong! The car I was involved with was a Nissan 130 Cedric Personal Six, the subject, we now know is the preceding model, the Nissan Cedric series 31. So hard? Yes, interesting? Yes, educational? Definitely!  Keep up the good work, it is appreciated.

Dave

Vauxhall of the early '60s, but they never did the rearward-sloping A-pillar, 

bestest,

M.

not unless you count the Vauxhall Cresta PA series 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/Vauxhall_Cresta_PA_1961_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg/946px-Vauxhall_Cresta_PA_1961_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg

Edited by GeeBee