Model Cars Magazine Forum

1988 - 1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Scratchbuild

Just to add to Greg's list of what the kit includes here are some pics of the kit that Greg sent me to have a look-see  at how it had shaped up.  Please excuse my photography, my camera is getting old..

As it arrived.

180910 - KIT (13).JPG

Unbagged:

180910 - KIT (2).JPG

Wheel fronts, rears & hubcaps (Police) with Eagle GT +4 tires.

180910 - KIT (4).JPG

Interior with door panels, dash and steering wheel & column to do the 88-89 version or the 90-91 version. Also door rear view mirrors too.  Greg killed me with molding those!

180910 - KIT (8).JPG

Hood ornament and clear headlights, taillights and front turn signals.

180910 - KIT (11).JPG

I got too close and my flash reflected but the header, grille, and front & rear bumpers.

180910 - KIT (12).JPG

Edited by DEL

13 hours ago, DEL said:

Peter, I answer each and every one of my PM's, and believe me, I ignore no one.  And I DO make mistakes so I just double checked prior to answering you because I did get about five PM's recently, with new requests or to be reassured they were on the pre preorder list, but I don't see one from you.

Consider yourself added to my list which will be forwarded to Greg.

If anyone else sent me a message and did not get a response from me please let me know here, I guess. Or try sending to Greg Wann as he is doing the casting itself.  My mailbox says I've only used 39% so it can't be an overflow situation I would think.

Puzzled.  Anyway, consider yourself added, and thanks!

Sorry, that was my mistake.

Looking back, I sent my PM to Gregg Wan, no you. It shows that he read it  on Monday at 12:51 AM - just didn't reply to me to acknowledge.  In that PM I asked to reserve 2 kits for me.  I hope that this doesn't get too confusing.

Hi Peter and others.  I have PM's from you and several other people.  It is true that I have not replied to all of them, Some I have not read yet.  Please don't feel you are being ignored or being left out.  I have other casting projects going on too, so I feel overwhelmed.  I also still work a 40 hour a week job.  Mike has been coming over on Sundays and physically helping with molds and parts making.  He has been a tremendous amount of help.  Now that a set of good molds has been made from Dwayne's master parts , we are working on making molds that will make several sets in one mold or additional molds to help get kits put together more quickly.  Some molds we have made are not working as well as we would like.  This has also been a good teaching situation for Mike.  He comes over and jumps in without asking for a lot of direction on what to do or how to do it.  He will hone his own skills as I have mine. 

I just need to read through the list and start making notes in a notebook.  I am sure there are ways to do this on a computer.  Putting pencil to paper seems the least confusing to me so that I can follow through each persons order beginning to end.  At work, they make me track, do and close plumbing repair orders on a computer tablet.  I really don't like it much, a roll of toilet paper is more useful to me, no confusion about what to do with it.  I don't need a password or a login.  It really takes very little of anything to irritate me too.  The world relies way too much on computer junk to live by.  When it fails, we are screwed!  I do take a couple of different medications for high blood pressure, my health could be better.  Perhaps if my health were better and I got proper sleep I would be feeling less overwhelmed and have more energy.

Edited by Greg Wann

4 hours ago, Repstock said:

I believe I should be on your list. If not, count me in.

I have you on my list for sure Tom.

Greg has had a lot on his plate personally the last six months or so and yet he has still pushed through it to get this project where it is now.  I spoke to him last Sunday as he and Mike were about to tackle another several hours of working on this project alone mostly.

Spoke with him at length about many things.  Like him, I also am on BP meds at the very least plus I have a couple other issues.  My concern and he knows it, is that I won't get all the masters done I want to do in the near future.  Everyone here has been very patient in tagging along on all this since I introduced the thread over two years ago. (SHEESH) when I thought I was almost done.  If I had known how much farther I had yet to go I promise I would have kept my mouth shut until more recently.

Still, I think all those interested in this kit know and understand that Greg & I are both older modelers who also still have regular work jobs, neither is retired, and yet will still allow us the time to do this right.  I'd rather go a bit long and it be fantastic than cut a corner or two and have that show in what appears on your modeling bench.

I know I have chosen well in Greg as a caster who is conscientious and wants to do MH level casting and service. But it is also a learning experience for he (and I) in getting it up and going. I'm sure that future projects will benefit from this learning time and come out much faster with continued quality results. Like Greg has said somewhere before here, save your pennies.

And I thank you for your continued interest and forbearance.  As Bartles & James used to say:

B&J.jpg

Edited by DEL

25 minutes ago, DEL said:

I have you on my list for sure Tom.

Greg has had a lot on his plate personally the last six months or so and yet he has still pushed through it to get this project where it is now.  I spoke to him last Sunday as he and Mike were about to tackle another several hours of working on this project alone mostly.

Spoke with him at length about many things.  Like him, I also am on BP meds at the very least plus I have a couple other issues.  My concern and he knows it, is that I won't get all the masters done I want to do in the near future.  Everyone here has been very patient in tagging along on all this since I introduced the thread over two years ago. (SHEESH) when I thought I was almost done.  If I had known how much farther I had yet to go I promise I would have kept my mouth shut until more recently.

Still, I think all those interested in this kit know and understand that Greg & I are both older modelers who also still have regular work jobs, neither is retired, and yet will still allow us the time to do this right.  I'd rather go a bit long and it be fantastic than cut a corner or two and have that show in what appears on your modeling bench.

I know I have chosen well in Greg as a caster who is conscientious and wants to do MH level casting and service. But it is also a learning experience for he (and I) in getting it up and going. I'm sure that future projects will benefit from this learning time and come out much faster with continued quality results. Like Greg has said somewhere before here, save your pennies.

And I thank you for your continued interest and forbearance.  As Bartles & James used to say:

B&J.jpg

I hear you. I'm an oldster too. I have some mobility issues, and sometimes I just don't feel like modeling. An hour at the bench is an hour away from my wife, and that also bothers me. It always takes me months, sometimes years to get things done, so believe me when I say I'm in no hurry. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Looking forward to the Nova as well. Thanks for getting back with me on this, I wish you and Greg the best!

By the way, I usually don't build anything newer than model year 1977, but this is so cool I'm making an exception.

Edited by Repstock

18 hours ago, Repstock said:

I hear you. I'm an oldster too.  I wish you and Greg the best!

By the way, I usually don't build anything newer than model year 1977, but this is so cool I'm making an exception.

Thank you, Tom, and I agree with everything in your post.

I had the same sort of cutoff on my modeling but in reverse: I did nothing below 1970.  But I've rescinded that and already did a 67 Biscayne and plan on a four door 65 Fairlane & Galaxie. or custom. I plan to be the home of the 1) police car model and 2) the 4dr model.  A lot of holes between 65 or so to 2000 to fill. As stated, if time allows.  All my best to you and yours as well..

Dwayne

Edited by DEL

I'm in the same boat with you guys. 60 years old and don't much care for any car built after 1990. 1965 thru 1980 were the best. Especially the early to late 70s. Have 2 classic Chevys (77 Caprice Classic and 79 Rally Nova) that we love driving and taking them to local car shows. Put me down for 2 of any future 4 door or police cars that you produce.

20180812_135102.jpg

20180812_135129.jpg

When I asked about the PM acknowledgement I didn't want to put any pressure on anybody. Lots of us are over 50 and have full-time daytime (or in my case, nightime) jobs.  I know that these kits (unlike injection  molded plastic kits) will be a fairly limited run. I just wanted to make sure that my request/reservation was received.  Now that I know what the status is, and what to expect, I'm perfectly happy.  Thanks guys for all your hard work and dedication. it takes a special person to produce quality resin kit, and this is one sure seems like a high quality kit of a unique subject.

Nice cars you have there Michael.  I've added you to my notify on each kit list I have. Thanks!

10 hours ago, peteski said:

When I asked about the PM acknowledgement I didn't want to put any pressure on anybody. Lots of us are over 50 and have full-time daytime (or in my case, nightime) jobs.   Now that I know what the status is, and what to expect, I'm perfectly happy.  Thanks guys for all your hard work and dedication. it takes a special person to produce quality resin kit, and this is one sure seems like a high quality kit of a unique subject.

Thanks, Pete.  Absolutely nothing detrimental taken.  I know we have posted progress but have yet to actually finally announce filling of orders, and that yet some time passes between posts.  That has been explained a bit (I hope)

That memory thing is getting to be a HUGE issue for me.  I was never good with memory overall but I have to admit I've gotten a lot worse these past few years.  I used to have a wife who kept me on schedule but now very little helps.  Except alarms. Alarms in my phone with a message. I know, TMI.  Thanks again to all!!

Edited by DEL

14 hours ago, 6883michaelw said:

I'm in the same boat with you guys. 60 years old and don't much care for any car built after 1990. 1965 thru 1980 were the best. Especially the early to late 70s. Have 2 classic Chevys (77 Caprice Classic and 79 Rally Nova) that we love driving and taking them to local car shows. Put me down for 2 of any future 4 door or police cars that you produce.

20180812_135102.jpg

20180812_135129.jpg

I love your two cars. I started selling for a Chevrolet dealer in '74 and always had a new Chevrolet to drive in addition to my own Chevys. I had several different Caprice coups and I still think they were a great size and with the F-41 suspension they would handle well also. I had a couple different Novas also. I favorite was a silver Nova LN in '75. The other salesmen used to call it the silver bullet, I wonder why ? The great thing about the Nova was that you basically had a Camaro with a sedan body, but all of the good parts are a direct bolt on.    

24 minutes ago, espo said:

The great thing about the Nova was that you basically had a Camaro with a sedan body, but all of the good parts are a direct bolt on.    

That's the thing about all TA's, Camaro's, Mustangs, Nova's et all: They're basically a powerful motor with a couple seats and a steering wheel strapped to them.  MAkes them light, strong and FAST.  We had a 83 Malibu police at my sheriff's office that year. 305 engine, nothing fancy.  But it amazed me at how fast, zippy & nimble it was. And only a 2bbl!!  Didn't last long.  Got T-boned at an intersection at about a year into it's life with only 20K miles or so on it. I hated to see that little car go.

49 minutes ago, DEL said:

That's the thing about all TA's, Camaro's, Mustangs, Nova's et all: They're basically a powerful motor with a couple seats and a steering wheel strapped to them.  MAkes them light, strong and FAST.  We had a 83 Malibu police at my sheriff's office that year. 305 engine, nothing fancy.  But it amazed me at how fast, zippy & nimble it was. And only a 2bbl!!  Didn't last long.  Got T-boned at an intersection at about a year into it's life with only 20K miles or so on it. I hated to see that little car go.

They were great little cars. I was in California and the smog laws were really limiting as to drive trains that they would allow into the state. Some of the problem had to do with GM not wanting to certify every engine for California based on how many GM thought they may sell. This usually left the YF5 Smog cars with either the base 6 cylinder or in the case of the Malibu the option of a 350 4 barrel car the first year and later they certified the 305 also with a 4 barrel. While not that fast by todays standards, they were pretty quick for their time. The LAPD were using Novas with the 350 package and the Suspension and HD Brakes.  

to be a LEO, but when I made it there in the 80's we too were being given only the smog/emission choked 302's, 318s, 351s and 350's.  So depressingly sad.

Pity the poor deputy who just wanted to chase the Bandit. :(

Hello Takahiro!

You did an excellent job on that 78, and thank you for the kind comments on the master I did waaay back in 1998.

How about that guys? I made it in Japan.  Not even Elvis ever went there!;)  Thank you Takahiro, that made my day.

There is another version in the pipeline, a 75-77 Ford Custom 500 and another 77-78 Ford LTD will be along soon as well.

Edited by DEL

10 hours ago, DEL said:

Hello Takahiro!

You did an excellent job on that 78, and thank you for the kind comments on the master I did waaay back in 1998.

How about that guys? I made it in Japan.  Not even Elvis ever went there!;)  Thank you Takahiro, that made my day.

There is another version in the pipeline, a 75-77 Ford Custom 500 and another 77-78 Ford LTD will be along soon as well.

Thank you for reply.

I also love police cars in the 70s and 80s.I respect you.

In 1998 I was 18 years old. Have you been to Japan before?

At that time, I was surprised when I found an article of 78 ltd on scale auto.

However, at that time I could not buy the store to buy without knowing

Recently I purchased from missing link resin.

I am also interested in 79ltd, 76pontiac leman, 77-79ltd2, dodge st regis 79chrysler newport which you are currently producing

Thank you again Takahiro,

No, I have not been to Japan I am sorry to say.  Just keep an eye on my threads.  All the vehicles you mentioned are either done, close to it, or in the immediate future to be started.  Greg W. will announce their availability once he is ready to do so.

So like Greg says: Save your pennies ..er, or yen.  Whatever you use to purchase models.  We are going to become the "gettin' place"

:D Take care..

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:57 AM, t.k. said:

Hello.DEL.

Nice to meet you.

Your 88〜91Crown Victoria is very wonderful.

I am looking forward to the resin.

78 ford ltd you made long ago was awesome.

I made resin 78 ltd of the image.

DC819394-1497-449C-BCDD-6B346C485A42.jpeg

Very nice!  

We received some of these off the state order for our Traffic Safety Division.

That was a whale boat of a car for sure. It was the only police car I ever drove that I had to bring the seat up a notch or two. 

G

14 hours ago, Agent G said:

Very nice!  

We received some of these off the state order for our Traffic Safety Division.

That was a whale boat of a car for sure. It was the only police car I ever drove that I had to bring the seat up a notch or two. 

G

I know exactly what you mean Wayne, but I came at it from a kind of a different angle. At 17 yoa my SECOND car bought in 1977 was a 75 Ford LTD 4dr. Looked like an unmarked police car and since I wanted to be a po-LEEC that was FINE with me. Just marched right past all those Mustangs and even 2dr LTDs to get to that 4dr!  (Added advantage: lots more room on dates. ;))  The big Fords of 1978-79, the LTD, Grand Marquis and Lincoln Continental were the biggest most planet punishing cars ever fielded by Ford. Just huge. One time I put my LTD on the scale where they weighed big 18 wheelers.  My 75 LTD weighed about 5500 pounds. Mind boggling.

And so yet I grew up with these being the 'norm' in everyday transportation. After the 75 with the anaemic 351C engine I finally bought my own actual police package 78 Ford LTD 460PI from the Louisiana State Police in 1982.. Well, you couldn't have given anyone a free Lincoln and made them happier than I was driving that beast home. 70K miles and a sgt's car to boot. Only drove it to the office. I KNOW that's the way it is the LSP. cuz once they get past trooper they're mostly office animals. Plus it had four new tires on it and I got it for..wait for it... $550.00!!  It was like I bought a set of tires, and they threw in a police car!!

I only drove it about a year and then my buying and selling of late model ex-copcars began so I always had something newer to drive, so I put the 78 away meaning to do a full resto on it.  In 1988 I started a resto that did not complete until 1998. It took me TEN years. During that time, my marriage of 15 years ended and I almost shoved it off in a creek. But it was a labor of love. So when I got it finished in 1998, you have to realize how much full size Fords had changed. From Box panther CV's in 1988 to the 'egg' style of CV's with the bowtie taillights of 97. Seats got WAY more comfy, and the cars lost something that was a big deal: the hood. By 1998 the hood sloped down so far you could almost not see the end of it.

SO, when I sat down in my 78 for the first time in ten years I noticed something right away: the hood was as big as a football field. The hood ornament was a mile away.  If I got in an accident (God forbid) it would happen so far away way out front that it would wind up being like some tragey in a 3rd world country. It's sad, but it's so far away it really doesn't affect you much.  That and riding on the police spec heavy duty flight bench seat was like a TRAMPOLINE by comparison to late 90's cop buckets that cradled you in it's loving comfortable embrace.  The passenger door panel inside was a mile way.  The backseat could house a family of four. All this used to patrol the highways daily when I was a teenager watching for the familiar silhouette of car/lightbar/spotlight coming down the road.

I got off on a tangent but I really LOVE those LTD's and Custom 500's of 75-78.  Can you tell? The following is pics of mine right after resto in 98.

Yours truly luvvinit.

My LSP 78 LTD  w- Markings -Fayettevilla, Ar. Ca. 1998.jpg

The fore mention baad "C" code 460 PI!  Full frame off resto on engine body and frame.

My LSP 78 LTD  - 460 P.I. Fully Restored -Fayettevilla, Ar. Ca. 1998.jpg

Showin' my tail.  All equipment was actual stuff from the LSP that they used in these cars in that time period. Lightbar too. My dept. had several of these webought from the state and thye left all that on it. just removed the markings. When they decided to stop using this stuff I helped them store some of it.

My LSP 78 LTD  w- Markings a -Fayettevilla, Ar. Ca. 1998.jpg

FS PA 70 Console.  Top of the line in the 70's.

My LSP 78 LTD - Int -FS Modular Seat Console System - Ca. 2000  (6).jpg

Edited by DEL