Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Detailed Preview of Revell's Upcoming '30A Chopped Five Window Hot Rod....

Too true.  Our '67 289 2-bbl still managed a brash little junior rumble.  My ol' '93 5.0 sang like Pavarotti, obviously a reference for my Coyote, which sings like Bocelli. Never got used to the gargle or bus-like mid-range drone of my LS-1 - but its off-line snap and willingness to rev for a cam-in-block was a nice compensation.

Even those lousy 4.6 mills made good pipe music...

I'm with you there. I love the noise my '94 GT makes with the single chamber flowmasters and tailpipes. 

And, my '93 Lincoln Mark VIII with the wonderful 4.6 DOHC, now that it has dual exhaust and magnaflows. It's beautiful music.

Got the last two of the initial shipment of kits to Nankin Hobby in NW Metro Detroit earlier today.  Apparently the entire first shipment sold out in under 48 hours/two days.  Will post a "what's new" review by COB this Monday.    TIM  

The main issue with SBFs is the front sump. The Sump can interfere with the steering on the pre 1935 Fords where the spring is over the axle. In my experience I have had to mount SBFs further back than a SBC to give steering clearance unless I wanted to mount the engine way too high. The overall length wouldn't really be a problem if they had Chev type rear sumps. The Bronco sump has been commonly used but that only gives about an inch or so in real terms. The oil pump location is the determining factor

Chris

Chris, the early Cobra (from the dealership) cast aluminum pan was a rear sump like the sbc, they are probably as rare as hens teeth, but many oval track pan and pump manufacturers make rear sump pans for the Ford motors, we had one in a Ford powered limited late model where the rules didn't allow a dry sump system.

The Cobra pan was on the Ford small block motors in the John Buttera kits that Revell produced, and all are identical whether it's one of the different '34 body styles, or one of the '26 T variants.

Best solution? Use the Nailhead from the '29A kit...fits the '30A kit without modifications... including the sidemount Nailhead headers without the jog around the steering column....   (As you guys know well by now, I've still  got a severe allergic reaction to SBC's in hot rod Fords, Honda 750 fours in Harley frames, etc., etc.. at least until we see tons of 5.0L Fords appearing '67-'69 Camaro builds....(smile))    TIM  

I do have some pictures of Ford in Ford sacrilege, at our big local show Kool April Nites, I took pictures of a clean '66 Mustang notchback but was really shocked that when I got around to taking pictures of underhood discovered that it had a 2300 cc Ford four cylinder for power.

Edited by horsepower

Chris, the early Cobra (from the dealership) cast aluminum pan was a rear sump like the sbc, they are probably as rare as hens teeth, but many oval track pan and pump manufacturers make rear sump pans for the Ford motors, we had one in a Ford powered limited late model where the rules didn't allow a dry sump system.

The Cobra pan was on the Ford small block motors in the John Buttera kits that Revell produced, and all are identical whether it's one of the different '34 body styles, or one of the '26 T variants.

The Cobra pan in the Buttera kits is a front sump. The motor is set back far enough in the chassis that it's a non-issue. That and the Jag based IFS uses a rack & pinion. 

Please ignore these silly quote boxes. I can't figure out how to delete these darned things.

Anyway, look what followed me home on Saturday. Mom said I could keep it :D

I'm pretty surprised to see the two part body.

20160618_151654_zps3e1grngx.jpg 

Edited by Jantrix

I'm pretty surprised to see the two part body.

It's almost like they did the 2 part body as a nod to the old monogram 30. I'm ok with it. It fits really nicely just dry fitting it. I suspect it will look great once it's permanent.

If you stop and think about it, you'll realize there would be no easy way to mold the thing and get it out of the mold if it was made in one part. It ain't nostalgia. It's the realities of engineering.:D

If you stop and think about it, you'll realize there would be no easy way to mold the thing and get it out of the mold if it was made in one part. It ain't nostalgia. It's the realities of engineering.:D

As long as they fit well, I'm cool with it. 

The Cobra pan in the Buttera kits is a front sump. The motor is set back far enough in the chassis that it's a non-issue. That and the Jag based IFS uses a rack & pinion. 

I'm sure you know this Dennis, but for other guys contemplating putting Fords in Fords...or other cars...one real-world part that works sometimes is the old Bronco pan. It puts the deepest part of the sump in the rear. Easy enough to hack a kit pan into roughly this shape if necessary.

3103A-2.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Good luck, Chris. I had to get my 29s out of the States last year as no one up here seemed to get them. Hopefully we'll have better luck with the 30's.

The Revell '29 Ford Model A?  Wheels & Wings has had them in stock since they've come out.  There's two on the shelf as we speak.

Already read the review once. I'll re-read it often in the next few months.

I've been waiting for this kit to come out. I have a Nailhead powered High Boy Coupe planned already.  But that skeleton interior looks mighty persuasive.  Maybe, I'd better buy Two kits. LOL

(like any of us are gonna stop at Two of these kits?)

The '29 and this new '30 are a license to print money for Revell. I know these kits are not for everyone, but those that do like them, will like them in Case Lot quantities. For you Rep-Stock guys, you finally got your Stock '48 Ford Coupe.

Keep Rocking Revell!

The Revell '29 Ford Model A?  Wheels & Wings has had them in stock since they've come out.  There's two on the shelf as we speak.

They have them now but I couldn't get them there when they first came out. I had to get mine while down at Toledo NNL. Sometime after that I finally found one on the shelves at Wheels and Wings.

You're right, don't know what I was thinking of, this old age thing is getting old. The Bronco pan that's posted elsewhere is the same as the Econoline van, and 4 wd pickup.