Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Detailed Preview of Revell's Upcoming '30A Chopped Five Window Hot Rod....

Firewall's a piece of cake. If you want a good stock-style piece, get one from any of the OLD-TOOL Revell '31 Fords based on this kit...    Image result for revell 31 ford

The roof looks like it will take some relatively simple scratch-mods, using sheet styrene. A good skill-building exercise.

Hot-rods by nature have things modified as they're built, and many bodies like the one represented in the new kit will have had their firewalls and/or roof openings modified. It is of course impossible to represent ALL the possible permutations in ONE kit, but it's a great starting point for building a chopped '30-'31, and will look just fine built straight out of the box.

I know for sure this is a Hot Rod and I'm glad it is.

Gonna get a couple of these and can't take the firewall from another kit to all of them.

What I was hoping for was someone to show a "simple" way to make look more "right", thinking of the "extension" of the body surrounding the firewall...I know styrenestrips, but any good tips are welcome.

I will fill the roofopening on some , but would like to have a "stock" opening or insert on some...

My comment " Start with stock " was in regard to the firewall and top only. I'm glad it's a hot rod as well. It's just that some modification , those mentioned, are unnecessary and not common to most hot rod model A's. I understand the firewall hood fitment issue however the top just doesn't fly in my vision of hot rod model A Fords. B)

My comment " Start with stock " was in regard to the firewall and top only. I'm glad it's a hot rod as well. It's just that some modification , those mentioned, are unnecessary and not common to most hot rod model A's. I understand the firewall hood fitment issue however the top just doesn't fly in my vision of hot rod model A Fords. B)

I too would have vastly preferred a stock-dimensioned roof opening, and offering a stock firewall as an option (copying it directly from Revell's 50-year old one probably wouldn't have exactly broken the project bank) would have been most welcome.

Still, until I actually have this kit in hand, I'm going to refrain from making any further judgment or even suggestions.

However, obtaining and copying a stock firewall multiple times isn't rocket science, or even moderately difficult. Kinda a PITA, but not hard.

Just pretend (not directed at Greg, but to anyone who buys the thing) when you open the kit, that it's a REAL car that was modified by a previous owner in a way you don't like, and need to correct.

It'll just add another layer of realism to the project, as some of us have to deal with stuff like this in reality on a constant, daily basis. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Not sure why people are making a big deal out of the firewall...it's a hot rod, not a stock version...so obviously, it's going to have modified parts...

Mainly because the vast majority of '30-'31 rods out there have firewalls that are close to stock or very recognizably made from the OEM part. Some builders would simply prefer to have the option of starting with a correctly-represented stock part and doing their own mods.

There's probably a far larger group of potential builders who don't know, or care, what a stock firewall looks like, and wouldn't want to have to modify anything. :mellow:

Mainly because the vast majority of '30-'31 rods out there have firewalls that are close to stock or very recognizably made from the OEM part. Some builders would simply prefer to have the option of starting with a correctly-represented stock part and doing their own mods.

There's probably a far larger group of potential builders who don't know, or care, what a stock firewall looks like, and wouldn't want to have to modify anything. :mellow:

Yes B)

I want to know two things. 

1) If it's a one-piece body, I really want to see how they made sliding tool sections to accommodate that visor overhang / undercut.

2) If the headers really have the little whoopdees on the rearmost primary pipes.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I want to know two things. 

1) If it's a one-piece body, I really want to see how they made sliding tool sections to accommodate that visor overhang / undercut.

2) If the headers really have the little whoopdees on the rearmost primary pipes.

The body is 2 parts on the examples at NNL east

The body is 2 parts on the examples at NNL east

Thanks. There had been a fair bit of speculation of late that it was a single piece, which I thought unlikely given the draft angles on the parts.

The test shot photos confirm the whoopdee on the rear header primary on the driver's side. Kind of a shame, as it's usually not necessary to hula-hoop the header to clear the steering on one of these in 1:1, if things are engineered in advance of cutting and welding steel. The whoopdee on the header is just one more thing that will have to be corrected if the what-could-have-been-perfect-generic-smallblock-Chevy-in a hot rod-headers are to be used on something else.

Not too hard to fix though. :)