Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Detailed Preview of Revell's Upcoming '30A Chopped Five Window Hot Rod....

Mike, thank you so much for the pictures. 

I see that there is a lot of the '30 coupe that is all new. It looks like there are only two common threes with the '29 - the frame and the chrome with the suspension parts. I love all the chrome on the SBC. This kit is going to be any street rod modeler's dream come true.  

Edited by mrm

Thanks for sharing the Pics, Mike!

Did you get any close up shots of the Blower and Wheels? Notice too, that the Model A Grille is from the later car.

The chrome tree has a '30 Ford radiator shell and radiator (lower one) and a '32 Ford grille (upper one).  The '32 radiator shell is probably on one of the trees not shown.

model-making-9-1263.jpg

'30 radiator shell/radiator on left test shot.  '32 radiator shell/grill on right test shot.

Edited by Danno

*sigh* Seriously another 7 point distributor?  Once on the Hemi Cuda was a fluke, now I'm curious which side of the Pacific is being lazy on final QC on the tooling approval, and/or needs to go back to Pre-K.

I noticed that. Really, getting something that basic wrong. Hey resin casters out there, heres another item to add to your lists.

And if you want a hot rod intake you can use the ones from the Revell parts pack Caddy or the Caddy from the Revell 49 Merc. This is the parts pack intake

102 3328

I didn't really understand what you were trying to tell me until I just did some research on Studebaker engines. Now I see what you mean. The intake (and exhaust, too) port configurations are kind of similar between the Cad and Stude engines.

Did some Googling and didn't see any 4x2 manifolds for Studebaker (and not sure I have a Revell Caddy in the stash, anyway). I did see some 2x2 manifolds. I think I'm gonna try scratch-bashing up something like that using the kit manifold with a "plenum" made from a 2x4 manifold (much cut down) from something like an AMT '62 Corvette.

Was gonna use the zoomie-type exhausts from the Avanti kit, but my research shows the 53 Stude engine heads only have 3 exhaust ports on each side, like that Cad, or a flathead. So I'll probably just use the stock exhaust manifolds. This is supposed to be a low-buck car, after all.  

I noticed that. Really, getting something that basic wrong. Hey resin casters out there, heres another item to add to your lists.

I don't remember the last time I used a kit supplied distributor? I put after marker wired units in everything I build so this, to me, is no biggie. Even if one doesn't wish to wire their scale ignition, an 8-post distributor is easy to scrounge up from something else.

But, yeah, I get it. Pretty easy detail that should have been right.

七,八,谁在乎呢?玩具车。:D

Oh, they have V-8s there too.  In any case, you'd think somebody at the head office would have been checking up.

Sure, it's an easy thing to fix, but I trust this time nobody's going to be making any claims that it was a deliberate decision to improve the kit.

... but I trust this time nobody's going to be making any claims that it was a deliberate decision to improve the kit.

No, really, space for eight plug wires would have been simply too expensive and would have delayed the project for months. Or...um...eight just didn't look right, so an 'artistic interpretation' of a distributor cap was made...;)

More money going to be exiting the bank account soon. 

Thank You  for the report Tim.  Now what about a 30 closed Cab Pickup or a 32 Pickup I have been writing down on the idea list Revell has at the shows? :)

Best Model Car Parts has a Model A closed cab pickup conversion.  http://www.bestmodelcarparts.com/products.php?view=productPage&product=242&category=1

No, really, space for eight plug wires would have been simply too expensive and would have delayed the project for months. Or...um...eight just didn't look right, so an 'artistic interpretation' of a distributor cap was made...;)

Or we've all missed the obvious, and instead of another boring small block V-8, Revell is giving us the ultra-rare V-7 version, because 8 cylinders are so overdone, y'know?

"It's got 7 cylinders, and uses 'em all"

Seriously though--because I like to wire distributors, but suck at drilling tiny holes into the posts without damaging them, I often cut the posts off entirely to make the process easier. So if this distributor turns out to have 7 terminals...*shrug* a knife blade fixes that pretty quickly.

Tim, thank you for the update. I'm stoked about this kit. I'll probably buy two, but don't tell my wife. She frowned at me when I mentioned buying one of them. :D

As for the distributor, I wouldn't sweat it. You can't drill those little protrusions anyway. Trim 'em off, or buy an aftermarket distributor. My LHC carries a couple different types in multiple wire colors.

As for the distributor, I wouldn't sweat it. You can't drill those little protrusions anyway. Trim 'em off, or buy an aftermarket distributor. My LHC carries a couple different types in multiple wire colors.

I always like this point of view, "OK Mr. Jones, you've just spent a considerable amount of money on your new Belchfire high performance automobile, here's a list of aftermarket companies the supply engines that may or may not fit, at extra cost to you of course."  :D

Just doesn't make any sense.  :huh: