Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Revell '48 Ford Coupe

afx

I'm really rather surprised to see this come about. I didn't think they would bother tooling an unchopped body. I 'm happy of course, and impressed. Way to go Revell.

From what I've heard (sources outside of Revell), this one has been in the plans for quite some time  (e.g., at least several years back...).   I was surprised, though, when I heard just a few months ago that it was just around the corner to production status.   

Since this info came from outside Revell....take it with a grain of salt, please.  Still....interesting.  I think you guys would be surprised at just how far in advance this company (and at least one other model car maker as well)  thinks about possible new products.  The best thing you can do if you want to see more of 'em (for example, additional Model A Hot Rod kit variants), is to buy the current most closely related product in the marketplace.  

Me?  I can't wait to place this new '48 Coupe body on the lowered chassis and rodded Ford flathead V8 from the '48 Chopped Custom kit (the one I loved and many others hated) from a few years back.......   TIM  

Edited by tim boyd

The best thing you can do if you want to see more of 'em (for example, additional Model A Hot Rod kit variants), is to buy the current most closely related product in the marketplace.  

As for the '30 Ford coupe, that is a certainty. It's my favorite hot rod, period. I'll purchase at least two now, and likely more throughout the rest of my modeling lifetime. The '48 is great, but I have just too many late 30's and 40's coupes to buy another. Most any idea I came up with for the '48, I could do as well on a '40 Ford, '37  Chevy or '41 Willys, just to name a few. It likely will end up on my shelves at some point, just not soon. Thanks for all your inside info Tim, it's always great to get some it from someone with his foot in the door.

Well, I'll have to have one of these, and another Chopped coupe as a donor. I already have the other three versions, so I'll need this one to complete the set. I wonder if there will be in options for the engine, or if it will be all stock.

From what I've heard (sources outside of Revell), this one has been in the plans for quite some time  (e.g., at least several years back...).   I was surprised, though, when I heard just a few months ago that it was just around the corner to production status.   

Since this info came from outside Revell....take it with a grain of salt, please.  Still....interesting.  I think you guys would be surprised at just how far in advance this company (and at least one other model car maker as well)  thinks about possible new products.  The best thing you can do if you want to see more of 'em (for example, additional Model A Hot Rod kit variants), is to buy the current most closely related product in the marketplace.  

Me?  I can't wait to place this new '48 Coupe body on the lowered chassis and rodded Ford flathead V8 from the '48 Chopped Custom kit (the one I loved and many others hated) from a few years back.......   TIM  

Revell's '48 Ford kits are some of my all-time favorites (I, too, loved the custom version) so I am super stoked to get one of these.

I'm thinking ( from seeing with my calibrated eye) the chrome looks awfully big. Maybe all the better to BMF. :P

Me'es thinks that, in the case of the chrome on the four fenders, there is a body style line stamped into the steel. It appears just a tad above the top of each chrome strip.
Same thing happened with the Hudsons. Many built ups I have seen, the BMF was incorrectly cut on the body style line, rather than the top edge of the chrome trim, just below it.

Want a more straight-on profile shot?

C79rAByASqq81jcOnQrORuy5_-vi.jpg

I wondered a bit at first, but the more I look, the more I'm thinkin'  "a few swipes of a file", as one Mr Boyd is fond of saying.

The shape of the lower rear corner of the side rear windows isn't right (why is this such a hard area for the kitmakers to get right?). But at least in this case it looks like about 5 minutes work with a rat-tail file will straighten it right out.

As the picture of the 1:1 Ford shows the chrome on these cars was wider than you might think. In the past I have owned a '46 two door sedan and a '48 three window. I think that some may find the three windows rear side windows looks odd but remember that that window pivots out at the rear and does not roll down. The chrome moldings that mount the window can give it an odd look because of there not being any chrome on the front edge of the glass.  I have already gotten my 40% of coupon for Hobby Lobby and I'm going to town in the morning.   

From another thread. 2_Side.thumb.jpg.637963697b25cfc78b771bd

Someone said a '41 was different , body wise. 2669m-1-classic-car-auction-1941-ford-co

I am not able to see any wrong shapes to the quarter window of the plastic body. The window of the 1:1 car might appear to be somewhat more pinched / tighter radius at the bottom rear, but I believe this to be and optical illusion caused by the brightwork on the windowpane.

And yes, I would agree the '41 is different to the body. Most notably the door appears to be shorter on the '41. Hey, hang on. That '41 looks like a business coupe. Longer trunk, shorter roof, and different proportions altogether. Let's not let this thread weer off track, but the rear end of the roof does look slightly different on a "regular" '41 coupe.

Sorry Rob. (see below) He beat me to it while I was busy editing my post.

Edited by lysleder

I'll take at least two, maybe more :D Always wanted to be able to build Fat Jack's ill-fated '46. Bought a Testor's/IMC '46-'48 many years ago, got it home and the body was pretty busted up with poor chrome, so that project never got off the ground. The new Revell '48 should have some good bones to build upon.

FatJacks48Ford.jpg

Same thing happened with the Hudsons. Many built ups I have seen, the BMF was incorrectly cut on the body style line, rather than the top edge of the chrome trim, just below it.

I'm not the only one who noticed that, I see. :rolleyes:

But back to the subject at hand- yes, please! I've been hoping they'd do a stock-height coupe ever since... well, ever since the convertible came out nearly 20 years ago. I'll be getting a few for sure. This is a great little kit in any version- I'd advise anyone who's never experienced a Revell '48 Ford to at least check one out.