Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Beetle Cabriolet 1970

dreamgarage

My very first kit arrived today! I wasn't able to find this particular kit in stores near me so I purchased through eBay. While I waited, I researched 1:1 scale examples and tips/tricks from the web. Everyone on this forum has some outstanding projects and I hope to make it look half as good as some of yours!

If you know of any good beginner resources please let me know!

- Mike

VW Beetle 1.png

Cool subject for a first build. The only advice I can offer, is take your time and treat each part as if it were a model on it's own. Check out the tips and tricks part of the forum.  Lots of good tips and advice to be found here. Don't be afraid to ask for advice during your build, you'll find the members here to be very willing to share their knowledge and experience or offer their opinions when asked. Good luck and happy building. 

The only advice I can offer, is take your time and treat each part as if it were a model on it's own.

This is GREAT advice.  Look at every part carefully.  Should that mold line be there?  Does it fit properly to the part next to it?  What does the 1:1 part look like?  Take your time, ask questions - and remember - dont rush!  One you've finished building it, you dont get to build it any more! :D

Wheels look good, but I think the actual wheels should be steel and only the centre caps are chrome. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

The original wheels would have been steel painted silver with a chrome hubcap, although there were chrome OEM style wheels available

Edited by GeeBee

Ok, I stand corrected.  Never seen the chrome wheels before. Most beetles in South Africa had either the oem steel wheels or aftermarket white or chrome star pattern steel wheels often seen on beach buggies. 

Edited by GTJUNIOR