Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why do so few post pictures? Is it the hoops one must jump through to post ?

I find so many threads with questions or other information, answers to posts, where a simple picture would be worth a 1000 words.

Is it the frustrating procedures with little or no results for posting pictures here?

I thought i had it figured out only to find some come up. some come up then go away or nothing at all. :( 

Unless I choose to upload an existing image from my computer which is pertinent to a question I might have, it's a PITA. If I choose "Insert image from URL", I feel like I'm staring at a pair of X-Ray Spex watching that upload doodad spinning endlessly. Plus, in order to post an image from my computer, I have to download it first, adding to my agita.

Bill Geary explained it to me most clearly.

Right klik on your pic,

Select "copy image" from the menu that appears,

and past it into the body of your post [Cntrl +V]

Posting photos that way (directly from your computer) is a bad idea.

This is not meant to be a photo hosting site. When you post a picture directly from your own computer as you described, that photo sits here on our server taking up space. Can you imagine the amount of space we would need (and have to pay for) if everyone posted photos that way?

To avoid that problem, this site only allows you a very limited amount of space to upload photos directly, and once you hit that limit, it won't let you post any more photos that way.

The right way to do it is to post your photos to a photo hosting site. Then you post the link to the photo here. That way, we see the photo, but it's physically still sitting on your photo hosting site's servers, not ours. And you can post as many photos as you want by doing it that way. Photo sits on your photo hosting site's server, you post only the link to it here.

Hold on there Harry, I never said anything about posting from my computer, I have had a paid fotki site for almost 15 years now.

Are you saying that when I copy it from my fotki site and past it into the body of the message it's automatically on your server instead?

IF so, please tell all of us, in simple language how to insert pics into our messages because since the last site makeover, this is the only method that works for me.

I click on the dodad that says - Insert image from URL.

All I get is the little swirly thing going around and around, no image no nuttin. And I've tried using Ebay pics,Pics I used to have hosted on my internet providers server  or just pics found on the web with the URL of said pic,,,,,same  result, that little swirly thing . But yet they work just fine when posted elsewhere. Image linking issues are with this new server for the board.

I have a photo bucket account and its a pain to load them there, then HOPE PB works like its supposed to ,,to link them here.

I'll load them here and delete them off as needed once its served its purpose, or not at all

Edited by gtx6970

Hold on there Harry, I never said anything about posting from my computer, I have had a paid fotki site for almost 15 years now.

Are you saying that when I copy it from my fotki site and past it into the body of the message it's automatically on your server instead?

IF so, please tell all of us, in simple language how to insert pics into our messages because since the last site makeover, this is the only method that works for me.

Steve, if you're posting links from a photo hosting site, that's doing it right. If you are copying the photo and pasting it here, that's not the way to do it.

I have a photo bucket account and its a pain to load them there,

Not sure why you say that. Photobucket has a "drag  and drop" feature. You literally just drag your photo from your computer into the "Click to Upload" box on your PB page. It can't get any simpler than that.

Not sure why you say that. Photobucket has a "drag  and drop" feature. You literally just drag your photo from your computer into the "Click to Upload" box on your PB page. It can't get any simpler than that.

Harry,

1st, I am not familiar with that procedure.

2nd maybe its my pc, but to me PB is extremely slow  to open/oad  , if it works at all .

I'll use it only as a last resort.

I just loaded 2 pics here, took me less than 5 seconds to do them both.

Once they've served there purpose and/or  the thread dies, I'll delete them to gain board space to load others later on down the road. Again I can upload multiple pics in seconds

I have to copy/paste from PB as the link insert link option does not work.  It goes into never-never land.  If I try IMG tag, it won't work either.  I have tried it IE and Chrome.  They both act the same.  So I have to copy the image from PB and past in the message text.  Now, I have not looked at the source to see if it converts to a link or stores the encapsulated image.

But insert other media DOES NOT complete and it has been that way for several months.  I admit I have not recently tried that, but the last time I did, about a month ago, it still behaved the same.

I have to copy/paste from PB as the link insert link option does not work.  It goes into never-never land.  If I try IMG tag, it won't work either.  I have tried it IE and Chrome.  They both act the same.  So I have to copy the image from PB and past in the message text.  Now, I have not looked at the source to see if it converts to a link or stores the encapsulated image.

But insert other media DOES NOT complete and it has been that way for several months.  I admit I have not recently tried that, but the last time I did, about a month ago, it still behaved the same.

Okay, I just looked at the generated source and it does resolve the paste into a link reference to PB (or any other hosting site for that matter).

When I started looking around for photo hosting sites nine years ago, I settled on Picasa as it seemed to fit my needs the best. Google has since purchased Picasa, merged with their Google Photos service, and are now shutting down Picasa. I migrated everything over from Picasa to Google Photos, consolidating my two Picasa accounts into one. Now I have discovered that Google Photos has apparently disabled image embedding functionality. :angry:

I don't and won't use/have a photo bucket or similar account.

Every other forum I am on allows you (and most insist on) you posting pictures directly to the forum site from your computer so that if something happens to your photo account the pictures are not lost.

I understand that isn't going to happen here, so no pictures from me unless it is something that someone else has asked me to post like a recent thread on a spray booth.

Russ

........for me, its simple....my ex was a photo buff with some very nice high dollar equipment, and she posted pics for me here. I no longer have a camera, and, frankly, hate anything computer...and have no idea or interest in bothering . so, my built cars or other shared info concerning photos has to wait until a friend of mine can come over to help,,,,or not. cameras and computers aren't my bag...and as much as I'd like to share various photos here, its too much hassle...................the Ace.......-_-

It's not a question of being cheap or incapable of dealing with a camera/computer. I run external hard drives to back up my art and photography archives. I see zero need to spend the extra time to upload to a hosting site, regardless if they charge or not.

I'm just not seeing the "problem". Using a photo-hosting site and linking anyone's posts here to it works the same exact way it's worked for years. It's worked fine for me since 2009 on another forum, since 2012 on this one, on three different computers at two different addresses using 4 different browsers.

Photobucket CAN be a little glitchy at times, but it usually gets sorted pretty quickly.

If you do a build thread, or an under-glass thread, or answer a tech question, it takes no more than 30 seconds per photo to load a shot from your computer to a host site, and to link it to display here, and only a few seconds to grab a shot from somewhere else on the internet to illustrate a point or question.

Gosh, what an incredibly difficult, inconvenient and time-consuming thing to have to do. ;)

I suppose some folks could be having hardware or software issues that I haven't encountered, but you'd think I would have had SOME recurring problem while using multiple browsers and computers...and so far, they haven't materialized.

The ONLY problem I've had lately is occasional S  L  O  W  loading of content into a thread, but it's not always a photo-related issue.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I use 3 different photo sites.

Photobucket, Fotki & Flickr.

I use mainly my Photobucket account for posting photos here by "copying & pasting from it.

It's very quick & easy & doesn't use up any of your allotted space on the forum because it posts a link, not an actual photo.

Which is why if you go back & look at some of my older posts you'll see those wonderful "cats".

My Photobucket account was a mess so I made the mistake of organizing all of my photos there into folders & thus all of those links were broken, hence the cats.

I do have a question for anyone who might know.

How would one post photos to the forum from Flickr?

I discovered a while back that Flickr photos can be blown up by clicking on them.

A nice feature that might be nice on the forum for those who want to really get up close & personal. :)

When right clicking on a Flickr photo, there doesn't seem to be a "copy" option.

Any insight?

Steve

I believe Flickr discourages re-posting anything hosted there; many images seem to be copy or save protected too. 

A google search for "posting photos from flickr" will answer your questions.

Here's the Flickr "help" page on the topic.     https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157637892284923/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy