Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Camaro - trans am inspired with a modern twist

exesivefire

So take a bit of trans am racer, a dash of pro touring and a pinch of the tuner scene and we have what's in my head for this one. I picked up the bits to get this one going at NNL East, and just had to start it. Progress will be slow as I have a couple builds I really need to get finished, but I knew I needed to at least get this one started. 

I started with a Revell 67 and a set of C1 models flares, great peices and really do replicate the bumblebee car it was modeled after. 

however, I don't like like how these and many flares look when on the stock opening, almost looks raised and really is not pleasing to my eye. So a rough sanding later I mocked them up higher on the fenders and glued into place.

after hogging out the wheel openings this is where the work came in. I quickly realized this wasn't going to be as easy as just slapping on some flares. 

Styrene sheet glued in to smooth out the inner lip and give a little substance

then the shaping / sanding started. The pressure cast resin sands really nice, and gap filling CA really takes well to it. Here we see me checking progress after shaping the rear flare.

a couple bench sessions later I got all 4 shaped to my liking and started mocking things up. These may not be the final wheels and tires, but I do like them. 

im picturing a play on either the old Sunoco or gulf theme trans am paint colors, but we have a while before I have to decide on that.