Model Cars Magazine Forum

1988 Monte Carlo LS

Intmd8r

One of my favorite cars – this build was done with a resin trans kit purchased from eBay.  Used some BMF and an old credit card to make the chrome side molding.  The wheels are from an AMT ElCamino, and the emblems are from a PE kit for the AMT '77 Monte Carlo.  The headlights are scratch built. Also my first experiment with making a Landau top.  I was going for a “Stop Light Warrior” look with this one.

photo image_zpsys4app4w.jpeg photo image_zpsym66pwx4.jpeg photo image_zpsf5nsepbc.jpeg photo image_zpshdyvpdu2.jpeg photo image_zpspyzz5znz.jpeg photo image_zpsx0cfycxu.jpeg photo image_zpsltftrael.jpeg photo image_zpsdffeffc2.jpeg

Great looking coversion to a LS !   I've always liked this look better than the SS nose . :)

That's exactly how I feel, tho I beleive that the SS spoiler should have been mandatory on all versions of this erra.  Something seems to be missing otherwise.

x2       

yup-everybody remembers the cool guy on the street with the Monte Carlo/Cutlass/Malibu/ElCamino.

Unfortunately they also remember the Mullets, high tops, and tight acid wash jeans:lol:

yes-I'm an '80's kid. My generation will never forget!;)

Thanks everyone.  I'd love to own the 1:1 someday, but these cars are getting scarce.  Most of them have either been crushed or hacked up for dirt track racing around here.

I came across what I would call a "survivor" '78 El Camino the other day, so I had to stop and take a look.  At minimum, it needed paint restoration, god knows what else under the hood.  The FIRM asking price on the window was $19,000.00!  I'm pretty sure that's more than what the car cost new. 

Thanks everyone.  I'd love to own the 1:1 someday, but these cars are getting scarce.  Most of them have either been crushed or hacked up for dirt track racing around here.

I came across what I would call a "survivor" '78 El Camino the other day, so I had to stop and take a look.  At minimum, it needed paint restoration, god knows what else under the hood.  The FIRM asking price on the window was $19,000.00!  I'm pretty sure that's more than what the car cost new. 

My full optioned 1984 Grand Prix Brougham cost me $12,600 when new.  My brother's 1985 Turbo Regal was just $15,000 new. Used car prices are wild now.

lol - these cars weren't known for their build quality.  My parents owned an '81 when I was a kid.  They sold it after 18 months becasue it spent allmost as much time on the hoist as it did on the road.  I think it was only 2 or 3 years old when they sold it.

All the same, I've always loved the classy body lines of the GM G-body.