Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Kenworth W900

Today I started on the trailer. In doing research into Monfort, I found that they ran 39-1/2' trailers to stay under the overall length limit for the eastern states. Most of their trailers were Timpte, but they did have a few Utilities as well. I did not feel like scratch building the trailer, so I chose to build one of their Utility reefers rather than a Timpte one. The reason being that the Utility trailers used rib spacing similar to Great Dane, so an old Ertl Great Dane kit would work nicely as a starting point. I will make a new nose, new rear doors, and new landing gear to make it look more Utility like. I just finished weathering the reefer unit. I used a resin Thermo King reefer with a custom grille to back date it slightly.

• 3 weeks later...

Your builds never cease to amaze....Especially for a snapper......An outstanding effort, if I ever saw one.....Great job on this baby.....I'm really liking that trailer, too.....The tandem axle you have is awesome.....Just like everything you see rolling down the road every day......

Edited by kilrathy10

• 1 year later...
On 8/14/2016 at 9:58 AM, KJ790 said:

Since I can never build a snap kit as a snap kit, here is my latest project. I started with a Revell snap-tite W900. Then I shortened the frame, added spring suspension to the rear, cut the skeeper down to a 36" coffin.

DSCF7136_zps9fdxkk8p.jpg

Then I put together a KFS Caterpillar 1693 engine and paired it with an Allison automatic transmission. This will be a tight fit in the snap kit chassis, but it should work with a little modification.

DSCF7146_zpszcoz8pg7.jpg

DSCF7151_zpsxnuerume.jpg

DSCF7150_zpsrdddn7p9.jpg

Hey KJ -- WOW looks great !!!     What did you do to change it from an aerodyne to a standard KW 36" "coffin" sleeper  ??    

Thanks !

On 10/12/2018 at 7:48 PM, Goodwrench3 said:

Hey KJ -- WOW looks great !!!     What did you do to change it from an aerodyne to a standard KW 36" "coffin" sleeper  ??    

Thanks !

Thanks! I cut the sleeper off from the cab, and filled in the "V" shaped notch that is left in the roof of the cab. Then I cut the top off of the sleeper and cut the sides down to the right length, then I used the top cap of a 36" sleeper from a 359 Peterbilt snap kit for the roof of the coffin sleeper. I am actually building another like this right now, but I am scratch building the roof of the sleeper instead of stealing one from a Peterbilt kit.

4 hours ago, KJ790 said:

Thanks! I cut the sleeper off from the cab, and filled in the "V" shaped notch that is left in the roof of the cab. Then I cut the top off of the sleeper and cut the sides down to the right length, then I used the top cap of a 36" sleeper from a 359 Peterbilt snap kit for the roof of the coffin sleeper. I am actually building another like this right now, but I am scratch building the roof of the sleeper instead of stealing one from a Peterbilt kit.

Ahh... OK  --   re:   "then I used the top cap of a 36" sleeper from a 359 Peterbilt snap kit for the roof of the coffin sleeper."

That's the "magic" step I was missing.

It's too bad someone doesn't make an aftermarket 60" VIT KW sleeper (flat top) that we could just "bolt on".

Thanks!