Model Cars Magazine Forum

First step, I cut the roof to make a pickup out of it.

P8090650%20Medium_zpsbbdnryci.jpg

Then I shortened it 3/4" and filled the wheelwells.

P8090652%20Medium_zpsg7ib21ar.jpg

Next I cut the center windshield post out, narrowed the body 1/2" and put the post back in, along with moving the headlights up and out.

P8100660%20Medium_zpsoaarknr2.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

It's been said before but I'll say it agian, the possibilities are endless on this kit! I'm starting another one this weekend! I've been studying yours and I'm thinking about doing the same to mine only the bus version of yours instead....and adding a hatchback as an entry and filling the side doors in... I've come up with a couple more ideas while writing this post :)  Heres a rendering that I thought would be cool also... 

P.S. I wonder if any 1.1 car builders will stumble onto this site someday And think "dang I've gotta build me a real one now"! Lol!

images-17.jpg

I made a rollpan by cutting a section of 1/4" tubing for the center section and will fill the ends with scrap styrene.

P8100659%20Medium_zpshia7zkwi.jpg

Here's the first mockup of it with an engine and wheels. I want to keep this build cheap and simple. Although I would like to use a T-bucket frame, I don't have one, so it's off to the pile of kits to see what I can find.

Edited by Psychographic

It's been said before but I'll say it agian, the possibilities are endless on this kit! I'm starting another one this weekend! I've been studying yours and I'm thinking about doing the same to mine only the bus version of yours instead....and adding a hatchback as an entry and filling the side doors in... I've come up with a couple more ideas while writing this post :)  Heres a rendering that I thought would be cool also... 

P.S. I wonder if any 1.1 car builders will stumble onto this site someday And think "dang I've gotta build me a real one now"! Lol!

images-17.jpg

There is a program on MAVTV that has a one man shop that builds some unusual cars. They had a show last year where a client brought in a VW Bus to have him make a hot rod for him. He built a frame with an exposed front engine and a shortened body just like your drawing. I know yours has a rear VW engine.  The guys on Gas Monkey did the shortened bus with the built rear VW engine. As I recall they were having a hard time trying to sell it at a profit. I enjoy following builds of this type. Beyond my skill set but I still learn a great deal from the builders.  

A floor pan was made from .030 sheet, and the trans tunnel was stolen from a Stingaree.

P8250689%20Medium_zpsaa3vv7yz.jpg

I decided to use the frame from the Stingaree. I cut the back off of it, bent it out behind the front torsion bars to make room for the engine. I also took a section from a second frame to raise the C-notch for the rear, and added 1/8" rod crossmembers, and some extensions for the body mounts were made from square stock.

P8250688%20Medium_zpsvheuvubr.jpg

I made an injector hat from 3/16" tubing.

P8250690%20Medium_zpsbyk5woqb.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

espo, yeah Full Custom Garage with Ian Roussel... it was a build based on an artist named Johnny Jalopy. It was his drawing that Ian built the project from. Awesome show and it's what our inspiration came from to start building these little buses. You should get yourself one, you never know what you can do until you get into it. I think you have the skill set to do enough to make it different. I say go for it!

Edited by disconovaman

After looking at it for a while I decided the track on the rear was too wide for my liking, so out came the scribing tool and I tucked the back tires in quite a bit. I made the tubs from .020 sheet. Also for anyone who knows my style, it's on the ground. After a little more trimming I've got the body right where it needs to be.

P8220676%20Medium_zps9lnjayyr.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

images-17.jpg

I like this design!

This is what I call some drastic plastic! My goodness,  I thought we were chopping these things up... You weren't kidding around, This far exceeds the limit sir. I'm getting geared up for the club meet tomorrow. Nice bed floors! My favorite thing about the build so far aside from the whole thing that is!