Model Cars Magazine Forum

Our Harry needs help

Cato

This is so awesome and a great start.

Here is my submission for EBAY auction on Harry's behalf.

I decided to auction three different genre's

1) Nascar: Ford Thunderbird from Model Empire

2) Drag Racing: Wild Willie Borsch Altered 

3) Indy Cars: Rick Mears Penske PC-6

All kits are sealed and I feel would be very desirable.

May Lady Luck be with us........ Great job gang $1,000 dollars today!

Lets' keep this train rolling.........

Jimmy "RASS"

IMG_1238.JPG

Hey Gang!

I want to give a heartfelt shout out to Cato for getting this thread started......Great job mate!

I accomplished a couple of things yesterday.... I took a good sized pile of scrap metals to the recycler yesterday..... cleaned up a eyesore behind the garage

I rounded up the proceeds of the scrap and the funds have been pledged.

WIN WIN...... Nice clean area behind the garage..... More importantly the numbers $$$$$$ continue to grow!

Just my opinion......with the number of members we have on this site..... We need more skin in the game!!!!

Skip a vice this week (we all have them) donate those monies.

Keep it rolling Gang!

Jimmy "RASS" 

My last pay check cleared, so I just made the donation I'd promised earlier.

Just a reminder...Harry's need isn't going to go away any time soon. 

He'll have an ongoing difficult time, so I think we should all seriously consider making regular donations to help him out.

I'm hereby committing to diverting at least my monthly modeling budget to Harry's fund.

I sure as jell don't need any more models, and I'd feel pretty bad about working on any of them knowing I could have helped more, but didn't.

Sincere thanks to Bill and James.

Great way James found to contribute without sacrifice and Bill's point about continuing need is spot on. It's just lousy to realize that our Harry will not be out of the woods just because we donate.

But we can do something to ease the anguish he lives with about cost and red tape. You guys all have come up with some great ideas to raise money.

No thanks for me please; I much rather we never had to create this thread...

Kits are on EBAY and ready to roll.

I'm all in with Bill and Cato!

I have made monetary donations and will remain anonymous on that end.

I will continue to support this cause!

I can't remain anonymous on the EBAY auction.

The messages of support here and through Harry's initial post are great.. If you can't support monetarily, drop Harry a Personal message of support (make it personal of conviction) 

The numbers keep growing..... Great Job but I know we can do better......Lets dig deep....We will hit 7k by midnight guaranteed!!!! We truly are at critical mass!

Cato.... I respectfully disagree.... I wish you never had to start this thread as well....However I'm thankful you did!

Peace.

Jimmy "RASS"

Edited by jwrass

I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to post on this thread, but here goes.

First of all, my thanks to Cato for posting this. Just for the record, he did this on his own... I am not trying to "toot my own horn" here.

Second, my sincere thanks and gratitude goes out to everyone who has made a contribution to my cancer treatment fund. I pretty much laid out the details of my situation on my gofundme page, so no need to repeat that here. The response on gofundme has been more than I ever imagined, and you guys have been a big part of it. Initially I had hoped to get a few hundred bucks, basically to cover some overdue medical bills, but instead people have opened their hearts (and their wallets), and I'm just stunned and overwhelmed by the generosity shown to me. I can't ever pay you all back, but I can publicly state that I am forever indebted to all of you. Your kind words, prayers, words of encouragement, and yes, contributions, mean the world to me. And in the state I'm in, that makes my days much more bearable. The contributions to my fund have eased my anxiety over the financial mess I'm in–so much so that I am getting almost a normal night's sleep now, which I hadn't had in many months previous to this.

And now a short recap of where I am at, physically.

The rectal cancer has spread to my liver and lung. The doctors say that is fairly common with rectal cancer.

My treatment so far has consisted of daily (Monday through Friday) radiation treatments at the hospital to shrink the tumor. I am currently in the last of three weeks of this treatment. I am also taking chemotherapy pills (8 pills per day) to supplement the radiation treatments, and also to get a jump start on the chemo process.

Once I finish the radiation treatment (this Friday being my last treatment), the oncologist said I will get a week off to give my body a sort of short "vacation" from treatment. He will then take biopsies, do genomic testing, and all sorts of other tests in order to formulate a chemotherapy plan that is exactly tailored to my specific cancer. Everyone is different; every cancer is different, and he wants to make sure that the chemo treatment I will receive will be the best possible–most precisely targeted to fight my specific cancer. 

Even though my condition sounds ominous, all of the doctors have been very optimistic in their reports to me, and say that I will be back to living a normal life soon. I sincerely hope they are being straight with me and not just trying to keep my spirits up. If they are being honest and straightforward, that gives me hope that I really can beat this. Time will tell... but right now I am cautiously optimistic.

The new pain meds are working well... I am now pain-free 95% of the time. My appetite so far has remained normal... in fact I have actually gained a few pounds since being diagnosed. I know that the chemo treatment will affect my appetite, but as for right now, I still can eat normally, and will continue to do so for as long as I can.

My kids have been a tremendous help. My two daughters (and my grandson, the cutest 2-year-old on Earth) came up from Urbana last weekend, and went grocery shopping for me. They brought back a ton of good stuff, so I am set, food-wise, for the moment. This week my son and his girlfriend came all the way from Ohio to be with me, take me to my hospital treatments... basically help me with whatever I need done and/or can no longer do myself. My brother has also taken me to my treatments, as well as my ex sister-in-law. So I am surrounded by people who are willing and able to help me out as needed.

I can still drive, but because all the pain (and weakness) is in my left hip and leg, operating the clutch is becoming harder. Don't know how much longer I will be able to drive a stick (my only car), but for now at least I still can, even though it's becoming more difficult. If worse comes to worse, I can always rely on Uber... or even rent a small car with an automatic. We'll see how it goes.

Well... that brings you all up to speed as far as where I am at. Once again, my sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed... whether monetarily, by PM, by prayer, by phone call... in each and every way. It is all greatly appreciated. You guys are making this a lot easier for me, and I thank you for that.

I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to post on this thread, but here goes.

Of course it's appropriate; you're the main mod here, the guy that kicks ass and takes names! And we want it to STAY THAT WAY.

I'm sure it does all of us much good to hear directly from you, especially given this encouraging news. We don't need thanks; we need good news from your end. The part about your wonderful family is especially good. I'm also sure your docs don't BS around when they tell you they are encouraged and you will beat this. But the hard work is up to you. That you sleep better and eat well is a great condition to be in.

Ebay has sent a letter to headquarters saying there has been a radical drop-off in the number of 1/16 scale brass era and classic cars sold of late.  So don't lounge around  - get with the program; you have plenty of building to catch up with.

And guys, think of donations as Harry's lifeline. Any of those money-raising schemes like selling off old stash stuff is most effective and relatively painless.. Also spreading the word (or actually the link) among non-modeler friends is a great way to expand the base of donations.

Because they're not gonna give Harry free treatments anytime soon. Keep 'em coming.

C

Thanks for the update Harry. I also hope and pray that the doctors are being straight with you. My guess that they are. You are lucky to have such good family support that means a great deal. Between your family and friends you have a lot of people pulling for you. Do what your supposed to do and stay strong. Soon we will be reading a post on how you beat this cancer. That will be a very good day for us all. Take care.

Of course it's appropriate; you're the main mod here, the guy that kicks ass and takes names! And we want it to STAY THAT WAY.

I'm sure it does all of us much good to hear directly from you, especially given this encouraging news. We don't need thanks; we need good news from your end. The part about your wonderful family is especially good. I'm also sure your docs don't BS around when they tell you they are encouraged and you will beat this. But the hard work is up to you. That you sleep better and eat well is a great condition to be in.

Ebay has sent a letter to headquarters saying there has been a radical drop-off in the number of 1/16 scale brass era and classic cars sold of late.  So don't lounge around  - get with the program; you have plenty of building to catch up with.

And guys, think of donations as Harry's lifeline. Any of those money-raising schemes like selling off old stash stuff is most effective and relatively painless.. Also spreading the word (or actually the link) among non-modeler friends is a great way to expand the base of donations.

Because they're not gonna give Harry free treatments anytime soon. Keep 'em coming.

C

I had to copy this quote in full..... Right on Cato

You want to feel some joy in your life..... Weed out that stash and send those proceeds to the fund! I have a number in my mind of what I hope my kits should bring.... if they don't meet that goal I'll make up the difference and continue to give as it truly is the right thing to do, models can be replaced..... They are insignificant!!!! We need more skin in the game! Lets make this Happen!

"RASS"  

This topic has taken me by the heart and unfortunately I can not donate the cash I would like. But I have been thinking this over and over and I think I found a solution to help out maybe. Let me know if this is ok:

I just recently started casting a couple of v8's; I would like to 'donate' 10-15 engines, which means sell them here at the board and donate everything, but the shippingcosts, to help Harry out.

Guys, as many, if not all of you know, Harry has been the guy who has made Model Cars look like it does since the January 2008 issue (Issue #129). Harry basically covered my okole for the past five or six years while I was literally on my back dealing with my issues. 

Now, it's time for not only me, but the rest of this big model car ohana to do what you can to help him out. As Cato said, there is a GoFundMe page that you can donate. 

The link is: Harry's GoFundMe page

I'm doing what I can, and I hope everyone else will also.

I will try and take more control over the forum, so he doesn't have to worry about all the normal things that come up with the day-to-day banter, topics, threads, replies, etc. Also, Darryl and I will be trying to take as much pressure off of what he does for the production of the magazine, and field all the questions that come up.

If you have questions on anything with the forum, or magazine, contact me or Darryl. 

Let's gather around our friend, our Harry, and help him get through this.

He helped me get through my situation, it's payback time.

• Gregg pinned and featured this topic

Any results from selling kits on-line?

A lot of interest, However no bids as of yet! I have them at $35.00 each. I hope to get more, however if they sell a $35 each it will be $105 to the fund.

Better than a sharp stick in the eye! lol

Edited by jwrass

Guys, as many, if not all of you know, Harry has been the guy who has made Model Cars look like it does since the January 2008 issue (Issue #129). Harry basically covered my okole for the past five or six years while I was literally on my back dealing with my issues. 

Now, it's time for not only me, but the rest of this big model car ohana to do what you can to help him out. As Cato said, there is a GoFundMe page that you can donate. 

The link is: Harry's GoFundMe page

I'm doing what I can, and I hope everyone else will also.

I will try and take more control over the forum, so he doesn't have to worry about all the normal things that come up with the day-to-day banter, topics, threads, replies, etc. Also, Darryl and I will be trying to take as much pressure off of what he does for the production of the magazine, and field all the questions that come up.

If you have questions on anything with the forum, or magazine, contact me or Darryl. 

Let's gather around our friend, our Harry, and help him get through this.

He helped me get through my situation, it's payback time.

Well said Gregg, mahalo.