Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Social Security phone scam

Ace-Garageguy

Got a call this AM showing "Ga. State Government" in the ID screen, and it was a sales pitch for Medicare supplemental insurance...nothing to do with the government at all, but sure to catch the unwary...and quite possibly nothing but a phishing exercise to get SS#s and other identity-theft data.

I also just read where indictments have been issued by the Fed against a bunch of folks involved in the India-based IRS phone scam, said to now have screwed something like 15,000 gullible people.

PAY ATTENTION. The world is full of thieves.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I got one on my cell and one on the home phone from persons claiming I owed tax money and better pay or face charges from agents that were on the way. Good thing I won the lottery in some foreign country to pay off this debt that I dont recall never paying then again I  dont recall playing the lottery in a foreign country either. Oh well.:D...stay sharp people...

Edited by BIGTRUCK

This the so sole reason I have a land line.  I also have caller ID that goes through my cable TV.  I do not bother answering any phone call that I do not recognize.  People who I know and businesses I want to talk to contact me through my cell.  I get calls with scamed ID's from all over the place.  They can call all they want.  Not going to bother picking it up.

Neither a land-line (which is what I use) or caller ID will stop this craziness.  99% of the illegitimate sales or phishing calls spoof CallerID (one even showed my own phone number calling itself!). I'm also on the Do Not Call Registry and that doesn't seem to help.  So, it doesn't matter whether you use a land-line or a cell phone - they still find you.  I never used to pick up the phone but just having the phone ringing while I sleep (work night shift) or even when I'm up is annoying,  What I started doing recently is to pick up the phone and not say anything. If it is a human calling they will eventually say "hello". It is is a robo-call it waits for me to say something first before giving me the spiel. For those I just let the headset sit on the table for 15 minutes or so. They don't seem to be able to hang up so they have to pay someone for the 15 minute call.  That is probably nothing for them but it makes me feel better. :D

As for the IRS scam calls, you should check this page and report them here.

I never answer my phone (cell or land line) if I don't recognize the number...let it go to voice mail and call back if it's legit.    And I have my cell set up to go to voice mail automatically between 7pm and 7am, no ringing.   I have the land line ringer off currently since during this season all the calls are political polls and robocalls.

Edited by Rob Hall

I never answer my phone (cell or land line) if I don't recognize the number...let it go to voice mail and call back if it's legit.    And I have my cell set up to go to voice mail automatically between 7pm and 7am, no ringing.   I have the land line ringer off currently since during this season all the calls are political polls and robocalls.

Pretty much the way I operate, and good advice for everyone.

I only post this stuff fir the few out there who may not be quite so savvy. 

I just encountered (this morning) an otherwise reasonably intelligent "professional" woman who HAD NO IDEA THAT CALLER ID COULD BE FAKED.

I just encountered (this morning) an otherwise reasonably intelligent "professional" woman who HAD NO IDEA THAT CALLER ID COULD BE FAKED.

There are people out there who are more gullible and less paranoid than the average population. They don't really ponder things and will pretty believe (without questioning) anything they hear.

The reports said $250 was scammed from people.  All you have to do is not answer or hang up.  Now there are scams preying on people saying your daughter was abducted, complete with a screaming kid in the background.  There are some sick and evil people out there.