Model Cars Magazine Forum

CANNONBALL 2017

Jantrix

Sorry I haven't been updating my status. I've been busy with other builds but now I'm back on the Widebody Camaro.

I've got the paint down but now I have a dilemma. I originally wanted to go with a matte finish but made the mistake of showing my wife the results prior to hitting it with dullcote, and now she thinks it should stay gloss.

Any opinions on gloss vs. matte? I think the color is kind of feminine in gloss, but my wife has a really keen eye for color.

Thanks for your comments.

WB Camaro Painted Mockup.jpg

I have no problem with "pretty." Looks pretty decent gloss. Needs an accent color though. Maybe that could be matte?

Not a bad looking color at all... Good job.

Thanks guys. 

Mike, the area around the scoop, including the scoop will be the same dark blue of the wing. As will the door handle and front splitter.

I'll also darken the door lines.

Update on the R8 Extreme. Due to some fitment issues with the chassis I've decided to retire that car from this years Cannonball. I have every intention to complete the car at some point, but just not this year. The frustration of not getting everything to fit and the cost of the TK, I dont want to ruin it by forcing things. I'll get it, but I need to cleanse my palate of the Audi.

So I will still enter a car, but now I'm going with some 'Merican Muscle instead of some German Stealth, and will be entering the following:

20170809_232346_zpsnuaa9ecj.jpg

The car will not be stock. Mods to follow over the next couple weeks. It'll be a fictitious Limited Edition ride. 

Nice work on all the entries so far, lots of cool looking rides.

David

Update on the R8 Extreme. Due to some fitment issues with the chassis I've decided to retire that car from this years Cannonball. I have every intention to complete the car at some point, but just not this year. The frustration of not getting everything to fit and the cost of the TK, I dont want to ruin it by forcing things. 

Understand completely. The Charger has the potential to be one the best models I've ever done, and of my favorite car. So I'm gonna keep at it but I will not rush it to complete my Dec 1. 

I added some graphics to the Camaro. Some of you will note that they are from the Revell pro street Chevelle, but I thought they matched well with the body & paint.  

I'm going to try to use magnets on the hood to see if it will keep it down a little better. Every time I got it to fit right it would just slowly return to this form no matter what I did. Oh well.

WB Camaro w_Graphics.jpg

All right... I've actually gotten a lot of work done on the Ferrari.  It is a Tamiya kit so no fit problems but the kit exhaust and turbos are really lacking.  I ordered up some aftermarket blowers from Hobby Design and the PE kit.  Of course nothing is ever easy when you start cutting and moving so after getting the blowers on and realizing they had interference issues in about 5 places the fun really started.  This is all set to go in.  All cooling and oil lines for the blowers are in and plug wires added.  The turbo intercoolers will go on after the engine is in the chassis and I can test fit the engine cover and body.

IMG_6012.jpg

huh - this engine looks hot!
Good work here everybody - but it makes me sad, that some pictures are gone:(

I made some progress (had a run) on my Chaser-V8. After the chassis and enginebay fits "perfekt" - easier than i thought - i had tocut the interieur about 3mm
CIMG170528_041.jpg

Made a frontwall to the enginebay...
CIMG170528_045.jpg

...and tested the fitting again:
CIMG170528_043.jpg

Now, the paintjob can come up.
First i glued the interieur on the chassis and panted all flat black (no big deal), painted some little details, some light used look on the interieur:
CIMG170818_002.jpg

Big hole i have to close after i complete the seat and console:
CIMG170818_000.jpg

"white carpets" for a test:
CIMG170818_004.jpg

Thats it till now.

@Rob: would you please take my second entry to the starting list?

Edited by Dominik

@Rob: would you please take my second entry to the starting list?

Done.

You guys are killing me. I can't seem to find enough time. My wife has been a day sleeper since February and as the bench is in the bedroom it's really cut into my weekend building. That changes for good next week, but I'm very likely moving into a new place in October. I'll keep at it, but things aren't looking good for Team Jantrix

Parts for the Camaro arrived today......time to get to work.

673a4157-5982-4a1a-8213-28ade5bbc041_zps

More later tonight

Oh Man I really want that Transkit!! Cant wait to see what you do with it!!

Oh also, 0% more done on my BRZ.... hopefully I'll get back into it so I can at least make it to the start line (or insight of it...)

Edited by da_ashman

Body panels have been added, but unfortunately there was some shrinkage. The fit is really good for the most part and the shrinkage isnt hard to overcome. I've already fixed the rockers, but the front spliter is still yet to be filled in. I split the shrunken parts and then have/will fill in the gaps with some super glue and some of the left over resin sprue from the kit itself. Hoping to get the rest fixed up today and a first test coat of primer on it tonight.

20170822_072001_zps6anpydpr.jpg

20170822_071931_zpsdxpecnfu.jpg

The hood has shrunk too, but a thin strip of styrene around the outer edge should fix that up np.

Thanks for looking, more to follow.

Done.

You guys are killing me. I can't seem to find enough time. My wife has been a day sleeper since February and as the bench is in the bedroom it's really cut into my weekend building. That changes for good next week, but I'm very likely moving into a new place in October. I'll keep at it, but things aren't looking good for Team Jantrix

Jantrix can you add me to the list of contestants?

As for lost time at the bench you, of all people, can not miss the start of the anniversary edition!  Go for a quick build if you have to but you better be there!  If I'm going to make it you HAVE to make it LOL!

Dave

Edited by vwdave92