Model Cars Magazine Forum

Halibrand Wheel Project

4 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

Wheels in the Touring have separate knockoffs too.

That's probably what I was thinking of, but couldn't remember. -_- There was something different about them compared to the '36 ford versions which I didn't care for, but you're right in that the O.D. should be the same. Those GT Radials barely fit inside the rear fender of that Touring. :blink:

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2018 at 5:31 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

A rare one - the Metalflake issue of the Revell '62 Valiant featured these 4-lug 13" Halibrands:

5a80cdb57962b_62valianthalibrand1.jpg.e113a83cad9d67e1224a298b241aff20.jpg

Not sure if there was such a thing in real life?

Found the answer - Yes, there was, with minor differences:

5ad3cf08d8666_4-lughalibranddeuce.jpg.7409bb332c8d20caa553ff4ce21aa04c.jpg

Image from Gary Reynolds on the H.A.M.B.

On 2/22/2018 at 3:29 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Image result for tony nancy 22 jr

I figured out what the wheels on Nancy's car are some time back; they're old Sprint smoothies mounted backwards...  

Image result for halibrand sprint car wheel

Bill, in effect, they are inside out, yes; but because the wheels are spindle mounted on the 22jr roadster, they were actually made that way. Almost all of the Halibrand wheel patterns created castings that could be machined either way to create any combination of offset desired. The smooth wheels on the Orange Crate do have the 8 ribs shown here on the back side. The 17 or 18 inch wheels on the Thompson Challenger LSR car are actually Indy roadster wheels machined with the smooth side facing inward also. My presumption is that more negative offset was needed on the Challenger application.

• 1 year later...

These appear to be polished magnesium Halibrand "small window" 5-slot wheels, seen here with Fred Stone, Doug Cook, and Leonard Woods around the Swindler A Willys:  

swc.jpg.c48ec8e98aefec2745b1aa5f616873df.jpg

Below, the same Halibrand 5-slots up front, with eight-lug, four-slot mags out back:

1_912_orig.jpg.6cd75cd28e3ab74540e1f30fac770e43.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 2/22/2018 at 2:29 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I figured out what the wheels on Nancy's car are some time back; they're old Sprint smoothies mounted backwards...  

Ace...

I am told this photo depicts those same reversed Sprit wheels.

I studied it for several minutes and still can't see them?

IMG_1535.JPG.9a99d1310b43403a557a50c10b5b61b8.JPG

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Really? :blink: If that's the most thrilling thing you guys can find on the internet, I feel so very sad for you right now. B):lol:

And I feel so very sad for your reading comprehension if you get "that's the most thrilling thing you guys can find on the internet" from either comment.

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And I feel so very sad for your reading comprehension if you get "that's the most thrilling thing you guys can find on the internet" from either comment.

It was apparently thrilling enough that you allegedly couldn't find the wheels in the picture. B):lol:

On 6/12/2020 at 2:51 PM, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Ace...

I am told this photo depicts those same reversed Sprit wheels.

I studied it for several minutes and still can't see them?

IMG_1535.JPG.9a99d1310b43403a557a50c10b5b61b8.JPG

I also can't see them.

Tires, too.

Is there a car there?

• 5 months later...
On 12/30/2016 at 7:42 AM, afx said:

Halibrand might be the most famous (and coolest IMHO) wheels in racing (road racing, Indy, drag).  They made some great street car wheels as well.    I thought I would start a project to catalog as many of the wheel types as I can.  When possible I will include a kit/aftermarket source.  I would welcome any and all contributions.  All I ask is that you please please please include a photo.  

There is a lot of great info and photos in this thread. Has anyone put together a reference showing actual wheels and the scale wheels/source? I look at Halibrand wheel images/info and think that I sort-of understand then I see more posts (on many websites) and get confused again.

I have several 1/25 Halibrand wheel castings by Ed Fluck III of Drag City Castings. The quality is excellent.