Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heads up in Wally World model section

Was at my Wally World today and saw some cool models. They have metal bodies and are Pinto HB and a Gremlin. They come painted or in primer. Packaged under the name of Fresh Cherries. Not sure about what details are in the kits but its better than nothing. Just thought I would share that with everyone.

Also saw that AMT is reboxing a lot of their kits. Chevy Thunder, Drag Race Series.

Dave I'm in between Fairmont and Clarksburg. A little town called Carolina. I was at the Super Wally World in Clarksburg.

The reboxed AMT kits were some older ones. 65 Chevelle Wagon, 69 Chevelle, Willys. $9.96 is much cheaper than LHS.

I just came from Wal-Mart a few minutes ago. They did have a bunch of new stuff!

'72 Nova, '40 Willys, '65 Chevelle wagon, '69 Chevelle, '70 Chevelle, and '71 Chevelle, all at $9.96.

Pinto and Gremlin Fresh Cherries die-cast kits, primered or painted, $9.96

Interesting that the Nova, Chevelle wagon, and Willys are being sold as 3 in 1 kits, under the name "Street, Stock, or Strip". I know the Chevelle and the Nova can be built that way, but I really doubt the Willys has the stock parts in there!

I found a primered Gremlin (already bought a green one from HH), it's a pretty neat kit. The body looks fantastic, I'd say body/interior are better than AMT's kit. I see mine becoming a mainstreamer w/poverty caps. Nice that it's a 6 cylinder standard Gremlin; I can restore my AMT kit as a Gremlin X, especially w/Keith Marks decals.

I already have all the vintage plastic kits mentioned. I was hoping to find a C6R or Caddy lowrider kit but haven't seen them at Wally World. I did get the Ace of Spades chopper too. Neat stuff but horrible for my modeler's ADD :roll: :D

I need to make "The Trip: out to Wal-Mart one of these days. closest Wal-Mart is about a good 25 minute drive from me. and it sucks, no new kits, (The only $6.00 kits they have are the 66 T-bird and the 57 T-bird,) there in the process of remodeling and the place is a mess, I hate going there, and is right next to a Hobby Shop so I usually spend money there, and then dicide not to go to Wal-mart when i'm out there. The Good Wal-mart is a good 35 minute drive on a good day. They had some of the Gremlins and Pinto's, I almost bought a Gremlin but did'nt, I'm happy I did'nt then. i'd rather build my own then try to strip and repaint a prebuilt one.

There building a new one about 10 miles from me. but that won't open for at least another year. Target ownes the area I live in. there's at least 6-7 stores in a 25 mile radius. compared to 1 Wal-Mart. off course I can't say anything bad about Target, i've been an employee there since January and they keep my hobby well funded :shock:

I need to get another one of those 65 Chevelle wagons, I've been wanting to build a 65 Lemans wagon for a few years,

While Chinee-MexiWorld (Ooops, WallyWorld...opps...WatMart) has good prices and is able to dictate to the manufacturers (of just about anything) what will be produced and at what price (probably not as big a deal in the model car segment as in others), the fact remains that they are NOT a good company to deal with.

They pay sub-standard wages, manpulate markets, make a mockery of the "competitive free market" system and send most of your money (that doesn't go into their stakeholders offshore bank accounts) to foreign concerns who get fat by using virtual slave labor.

They give lip service to "community responsibility" and other high-minded ideals, but in fact, their corporate policy is to minimize costs and maximize profits...the same as every other for-profit concern, but taken to scales never seen since the robber barons of the late 19th/early 20th century...which led to anti-trust legislation and other forms of regulation...which (being the band-aid that it was and continues to be) has only crippled the free market system upon which this country's economic system was based.

"Outsourcing" was non-existent when these laws were passed...but in today's "global marketplace" it has become an issue that has the potential to bring the United States to the status of a third-world country, especially when we've been bled dry by the Waltons and other corporate giants who send our money out of the country, either in the form of foreign-produced products or by knowingly hiring illegal aliens using forged documentation who send the greater percentage of their meager earnings to Mexico and other Central American countries.

Don't believe it? Go to the post office shortly after a WalMart payday and see the number of postal money orders being purchased and sent out of the country.

Bottom line: don't buy from WalMart. I don't. I support my LHS. I also fly the flag alongside my Patriot Guard Rider's colors and POW/MIA and Veteran flags on my leather vest.

</rant>

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first time I have tried any thing like this so Ya'all be patient with this ole Texan. I went to Wall- Mart several weeks ago with my six year old. any way we went to the model section cause he likes the "Cars" from the movie Cars. We saw the Grimlin and the Pinto kinda brought back memories cause I towed several to their final resting place in Dallas years ago. I also worked on both these cars for a living. The vacum wiper system on the Gremlin was sorry, to say the least. Now as for the present, lets be glad that there are models of these econoboxes. Yeah, they are die cast and they are avalible only though Wall-Mart. Overall the detail aint too bad. I have seen the two plastic model companies do far worse. Now onto another subject at "Wally-World" and thats Vans...... Hey back in the 70's I owned an accessory manufactoring company in Houston We made drink holders,seats, and a few fiberglass pieces to fit various trucks of the era. Mean while at your Wall- Mart, Planet-Toys has made avalible two really cool vans, a 74 Ford and a 76 Chevrolet. Both trucks depict the upscale version with the chrome and both vans are of the long wheelbase variety. They also both have the "Slide-Side" cargo door avalible on both. Chassis details on the Ford are totally incorrect as Ford incorperated their "I" Beam suspension right up until 1990 on their vans also it shows a Catylic converter that wasn't seen till 1976. On the inside, the seats seem to have come from a Pinto along with their seatbases. The motor box is a cross between a six cylinder and their one V-8. For the record, Sixes were flat in the back and offset towards the driver. V-8 equiped vans had a more rounded backside as the 8 didn't need the space that the 6 did. Now all is not lost, I have been able to strip the paint and correct the interior of the Ford without too much effort. This is the first time any one has done this van in 1-24thscale. M. P. C. did one as the Iron-sides Van back in the 70's and that was in their 1-20th scale. Find one now and you'll pay real large money for an unbuilt example. Yeah I have tried to get the "Beaurocrats' at the Plastic companies to do models of vans especially the early "Flat-Face' vans. Since my ideas went un heard, I'll reluctantly buy die-cast from the "W-W". Hey im in this hobby both to build and collect cars of my youth. I'm on dissability so I have to budget. I also have a family,ya do what ya do.