Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya MX5 "Faux Cup" Street/Track Day Car

Zoom Zoom

This is my LeMans build this year (a group of friends gets together and builds during the race); decided to build whatever I wanted vs. an actual LeMans car. Prepped the model (painted, cleared, chassis built) prior to the race. At the end of the race it still lacked the roll bar, passenger seatbelt, front splitters, antenna, and a few graphics. Decals are by Studio 27, wheels are from my parts box, tires are Pegasus. I used some of the Hobby Design detail set for it as well. Very fun project of a phantom street/track day toy, and I also prepped parts for my next MX5, an RF conversion using the Plamoz detail RF conversion and the Club detail set.

IMG_5003-vi.jpg

IMG_5007-vi.jpg

IMG_5010-vi.jpg

IMG_5011-vi.jpg

IMG_5012-vi.jpg

That's a cool one. I like how the front fender decals 'change' the shape of the fenders in the eye.

Thanks; love those stripes that were first shown by Mazda for the Global Cup car. Those front hood/fender stripe decals were the only ones I had issues with when applying, it's quite a compound curve up and over and I had to use the hot-water "tampo" trick to get them to settle in place. A friend's wife gets these very fine/soft makeup wedge sponges (I think from Ulta), she's got enough to give us model guys some to use, and they're worth their weight in gold. Hot tap water and that sponge made a difference that decal solvent wasn't going to make getting those decals settled (and quickly, too). Still had a few minor wrinkles, but too small to worry over.

Looks great! Love the little Gulf logo :) It's also funny that you mention Le Mans; every year I take a road trip with a bunch of buddies to see the race in person (I'm in the UK which makes life easier). It's the best weekend of the year by far for me! The racing this year was especially exciting!