Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix Little Nellie, James Bond You only live twice

A very nice build and a decent video review. Thank you for sharing it with us. The only thing I'm confused on is the history on the auto gyro that you give at the beginning of video #1. Is this the history of that particular auto gyro? Or the history in the Bond books? Or what? For you state that the Q branch invented the auto gyro in the late 1950's. But, gave credit to another for inventing it earlier. As I say, I'm a little confused by This statement. For the auto gyro was around at least as early as the mid 1930's, in real life, as far as I know. In fact, you can see one in use in the 1936 movie "It Happened One Night" with Clark Gable.

Still a nice build. And a very set of videos.

• 3 weeks later...

A very nice build and a decent video review. Thank you for sharing it with us. The only thing I'm confused on is the history on the auto gyro that you give at the beginning of video #1. Is this the history of that particular auto gyro? Or the history in the Bond books? Or what? For you state that the Q branch invented the auto gyro in the late 1950's. But, gave credit to another for inventing it earlier. As I say, I'm a little confused by This statement. For the auto gyro was around at least as early as the mid 1930's, in real life, as far as I know. In fact, you can see one in use in the 1936 movie "It Happened One Night" with Clark Gable.

Still a nice build. And a very set of videos.

That was a very tongue in cheek potted history of the autogyro.
The original design concept is commonly attributable to Juan De La Cierva but this specific one is attributable to Wing Commander Ken Wallis and the bare frame version mentioned was touted for military use as a close distance observational vehicle.
The mods were made specifically for the film and without considerable power modifications it wouldn't have flown were all the armaments real.
There's no official take on Q branch's input re Little Nellie as it wasn't in the books, (the films being a bit more fantastical and 'out there' than the books ever were), but I like to imagine little back stories to film vehicles.
Glad you enjoyed the build.

• 1 year later...