Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '74 AMC Gremlin X

Casey

8 hours ago, Kustomm said:

If you are looking for a good set of denim seats for the Gremlin check out the ones in the MPC 1978 Pacer X...much better.

I'm not sure those would fit inside the Gremlin's interior tub given how much wider the Pacer is. Maybe someone who has both can test fit and report back how well they fit.

You can not believe what kind of uproar would arise if any a chevy or  ford kit would be like Gremlin: no front suspension or steering parts, wrong radiator/radiator wall, wrong  inner fender panels, simplified engine block and too narrow front seats. Body, chassis, rear suspension, firewall and rest interior are acceptable. This could have been a really nice kit but the implementation was left halfway.

All the deficiencies can be corrected but it requires a lot of work. Those metal axles make me cry but I will nevertheless buy this kit.

Edited by Sportabout

29 minutes ago, Sportabout said:

You can not believe what kind of uproar would arise if any a chevy or  ford kit would be like Gremlin: no front suspension or steering parts, wrong radiator/radiator wall, wrong  inner fender panels, simplified engine block and too narrow front seats. Body, chassis, rear suspension, firewall and rest interior are acceptable. This could have been a really nice kit but the implementation was left halfway.

All the deficiencies can be corrected but it requires a lot of work. Those metal axles make me cry but I will nevertheless buy this kit.

This model is from the days of "Well, good enough!"...remember this is a reissue of a 40+ year old kit.

The engine and associated engine area are definitely weak spots in a lot of old kits - and the Gremlin suffers from lack of/incorrect detail.

However, from the outside (did they fix the too wide front piece on this issue?) - it looks good - a 10 footer - get too close and notice the size 1 seats, metal axles, and other deficiencies.  

23 minutes ago, Sportabout said:

....What you don't  seem to realize here is that this kit was designed in the mid 70s at a time when most car model kit's didn't enjoy the detail and hi tech development that we enjoy today. As far as your 'uproar' comment regarding Chevy or Ford kit's of the same vintage all being blessed with accuracy and detail,  tells me that you must be very new to this hobby....I could name so many here but no one can type for that long.......best to know a little before throwing one very loved little kit under the bus.......the Ace......<_<

It is inaccurate in a lot of places, that is true. But I just build model kits and have a nice time doing it, even on the frustrating ones.

I'll leave all the debate and arguing over detail stuff to other people. My hands are full of paint and glue. :)

22 hours ago, AC Norton said:

....What you don't  seem to realize here is that this kit was designed in the mid 70s at a time when most car model kit's didn't enjoy the detail and hi tech development that we enjoy today. As far as your 'uproar' comment regarding Chevy or Ford kit's of the same vintage all being blessed with accuracy and detail,  tells me that you must be very new to this hobby....I could name so many here but no one can type for that long.......best to know a little before throwing one very loved little kit under the bus.......the Ace......<_<

I'm a bit disapointed. Let's talk about model kits and not go to personalities. I know this kit history. I have all most AMC kits but I can't build them because I want them to be accurate. These great cars deserves more than to be built box stock to my shelf.

Casey:

MPC 1978 Pacer X front seats fits well in Gremlins interior tub. Left original '75 Gremlin seat and right Pacer '78 seat.

_medium.jpg

Engine compartment can be fixed using '71 hornet (includes in Missing Link resin kit) compartment part. Only firewall needs to be changed to Gremlin one. Jo-Han Marlin kit has decent front suspension and steering. Any better suggestions?

_medium.jpg

On 1/12/2018 at 3:17 PM, hpiguy said:

It is inaccurate in a lot of places, that is true. But I just build model kits and have a nice time doing it, even on the frustrating ones.

I'll leave all the debate and arguing over detail stuff to other people. My hands are full of paint and glue. :)

I'm with you on this one too. I build for for fun. Inaccurate or not, it also represents a time to me. I prefer me models to be fairly accurate. But, I'm also okay with the way they were designed at the time. It mainly needs to look good sitting on my shelf. 

9 hours ago, Sportabout said:

MPC 1978 Pacer X front seats fits well in Gremlins interior tub. Left original '75 Gremlin seat and right Pacer '78 seat.

Thanks for looking into that and taking the pic, Kari. This makes AMT's decision to make the Gremlin seats so narrow even more puzzling.

The Gremlin kits really need a LOT of work to get them to a decent level IMHO, but the funkiness of its design is just irresistible. ^_^

8 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Does anybody make a decent aftermarket 401 or other AMC V-8 that could be swapped into one of these?

B-N-L Resins has  364 engine (from '75 NASCAR Matador?):

http://www.b-n-lresins.com/shoppingopencart/Aftermarket-resin-cast-1-24-1-25-scale-model-engines-Ford-Diesel-Mopar-Oldsmobile-Toyota-Honda/Aftermarket-resin-cast-1-24-1-25-scale-hobby-model-Mopar-engine-Dodge-Chrysler-HEMI-Plymouth-Jeep/resin-cast-1-24-1-25-scale-AMC-364-engine

Clearly Scale has scratch built 390 V8 under construcktion. Hope Jeremy has finished it. Jeremy's engines are top quality.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/clearlyscale/photos/?tab=album&album_id=604500702976976

4 hours ago, Sportabout said:

Thanks, oh and I now feel like an idiot......I have a couple of those Matadors here and planned on cross breeding one with a couple AMT Viper GTS kits using the V-10 for power. Completely forgot I had them.........

On 1/12/2018 at 4:12 PM, AC Norton said:

Ace , you need to see the hand wringing , gnashing of teeth , tears and pleas for professional therapy I see on Facebook concerning the OLD Re issued to death kits

8 minutes ago, Eshaver said:

Ace , you need to see the hand wringing , gnashing of teeth , tears and pleas for professional therapy I see on Facebook concerning the OLD Re issued to death kits

....Ya' know, Ellen, my view point is simply that those guys just don't have to buy any, do they.....more for the rest of us......the Ace...:lol:

13 minutes ago, Eshaver said:

Ace , they get NO Sympathy from me , NONE!!!!!

.....My thoughts on kits and the whole hobby is the same view I've had since 1968 when it started for me....buy what you like, build it the way you want to, fix the imperfections if desired,,,,and stop crying about everything else...most of these newbies that jumped in the hobby in recent years have no idea why old kits were not engineered like the newer items in the last 20 years or so....and, as you certainly know, Ellen, several of those are a far cry from well engineered either....the Ace...:P

• 2 weeks later...