Model Cars Magazine Forum

molotow chrome pens - - - choosing a size

I just became aware that these things existed.  A happy surprise.   At twelve bucks a pop, I am reluctant to buy all three sizes, 1mm, 2mm, 4mm.  Is any one size particularly useful in highlighting wheels, side trim, lettering?  For the moment I don't think I'll be rechroming any bumpers.

Thanks very much

To answer your question, the 1mm is my go-to for fine detail work, it's more of a pen tip and not a felt tip like the 2mm and 4mm. If I want to rechrome a bumper I use the refill and run it through the airbrush. The 1mm is great for mirror faces, door handles, door locks, lug nuts, window cranks, raised dash details. Use it "wet into wet" and you can chrome smaller parts with ease, just make sure to let it dry 24-48 hours and try not to handle too much. It's far stronger than Alclad and it doesn't require any special surface prep or base color.

Window/side trim is still far better served by using bare metal foil. The 1mm might be a bit much for fine lettering style emblems; though if you have refill or take the pen apart to access the reservoir, you can use the chrome ink with your tiny detail brushes. It's more like paint than ink when it comes to brushing or spraying.

For me, I use the 1mm pen 90% of the time. I bought them primarily to do instrument panels  steering wheels , door panel details etc etc .

I use the 2mm to touch up bumpers and such.  Ive not found I need the 4 mm pen yet and doubt I ever will

• 2 months later...

I too just discovered these. Awesome! I have the 1mm and 2mm. They take a while to dry, so be careful. I am doing my latest build with this instead of BMF. A steady hand is a plus and the 2mm will puddle a little if you stop in the middle somewhere. These are perfect for re-chroming the little white part left from the sprue removal of any chrome part. Also they are perfect for door handles, locks and any interior trim. Really happy I found these.

Edited by Mahogany Rush

I have the 1mm & 2mm.

I use the 1mm directly from the pen for fine touch ups & small parts.

Generally, the only time I use the 2mm is when I want to do something very fine & then I'll take a little paint from the tip with a brush & use it that way.

I don't use them much.

In my opinion, they are no substitute for foil, but they do have their uses.

Steve

32 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

In my opinion, they are no substitute for foil, but they do have their uses.

I bought one at Hobby Lobby last week with the magic coupon. I got the 1mm  because they had one of them and several of the 2mm on the rack. I used it to detail lug nuts and center caps. It worked well and is plenty shiny. I agree with Steve.  There are applications for this, but it's not a substitute for BMF.

There are always guys looking for easier and cheaper.  Notice that these are never the guys who win big awards at shows.  And just like the silver Sharpie some guys swore was replacing BMF, if you decided to draw chrome onto a bumper or body trim, it would indeed look just like you drew it on with a pen.  Wavy edges and all.  If you indeed want to build nice models, stop the whining and looking for the easy, and take the time to learn how to BMF.  

I get tired of reading those threads, not as much on this board as on the FaceBook groups.  Recently someone was whining about the cost of flocking and wanted a cheap alternative. One guy suggested shaving a shirt with your electric razor.  Um yea, ruin your electric razor to save $5 and produce some dirty third world flocking!   :lol:

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I bought one at Hobby Lobby last week with the magic coupon. I got the 1mm  because they had one of them and several of the 2mm on the rack. I used it to detail lug nuts and center caps. It worked well and is plenty shiny. I agree with Steve.  There are applications for this, but it's not a substitute for BMF.

There are always guys looking for easier and cheaper.  Notice that these are never the guys who win big awards at shows.  And just like the silver Sharpie some guys swore was replacing BMF, if you decided to draw chrome onto a bumper or body trim, it would indeed look just like you drew it on with a pen.  Wavy edges and all.  If you indeed want to build nice models, stop the whining and looking for the easy, and take the time to learn how to BMF. 

I agree to this extent.

I believe that these pens could be a viable alternative to foil, but only if you plan on masking most of your trim before applying it.

I've seen some trim work done with Molotow pens that barely looks better than the Testors "chrome silver" paint of yester-year.

If you have trouble painting a straight line with the silver paint, putting it in a pen is of little help.

And even then, who knows what the long term durability of this product will be.

I know it's very fragile before it's fully cured, & even after, it will still rub off if you handle it too much.

I routinely move my models around by grabbing them on either side of the roof by the drip rails.

I guarantee you that no matter how durable this stuff is, it's going to come off of those spots eventually.

I have kits that were foiled at least 20 years ago that look no different today than they did then.

I'll reserve the Molotow pens for places that will rarely, if ever, be touched.

Steve