Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Firefox Crashes on Forum..

Hi folks,

About a week now, I can't update my own topic or comment a member's build without having my Firefox freeze and block my whole PC.

Anyone having similar issues?

When I attend my topic with IE 11, no problems.

Just, I don't want to use IE 11.

Anyone?

My current version of Firefox is 56.0.2, it was just updated on 10/26/17 and is current and up to date.

That's one of the things about Firefox that drove me nuts. Version 56? Seriously? It seemed to me there was at least a minor revision every week. My SeaMonkey is version 2.48,,,, yeah, TWO point xx. SeaMonkey version 1.00 was released January 30th, 2006. SeaMonkey has THOUSANDS fewer lines of code than Firefox. Not sure what all those extra lines of code actually do for Firefox. I know SeaMonkey does everything Firefox does and does it quicker.

I have Sea Fox extension installed which makes SeaMonkey look and act like Firefox 3.x and also have Classic Firefox theme for SeaMonkey installed which makes SeaMonkey look even more like the old Firefox. Firefox 3.x was a fantastic piece of software and was a really fast and stable browser. Then things started rolling downhill and picking up speed and we ended up with version 56 really quick. Firefox was formerly known as Phoenix, then Firebird, and finally Firefox. The first version of Firefox was released February 9th, 2004.

Thanks for the history lesson Steve. I'll say it again, your "knowledge" really is impressive. BTW, how are things at SA?

Haven't been there in 6 - 8 weeks. Like several others I got tired of the lack of involvement by the new management. Too much bickering amongst members without involvement of a moderator. I decided I like it here and one other place better.

That's one of the things about Firefox that drove me nuts. Version 56? Seriously? It seemed to me there was at least a minor revision every week. My SeaMonkey is version 2.48,,,, yeah, TWO point xx. SeaMonkey version 1.00 was released January 30th, 2006. SeaMonkey has THOUSANDS fewer lines of code than Firefox. Not sure what all those extra lines of code actually do for Firefox. I know SeaMonkey does everything Firefox does and does it quicker.

I have Sea Fox extension installed which makes SeaMonkey look and act like Firefox 3.x and also have Classic Firefox theme for SeaMonkey installed which makes SeaMonkey look even more like the old Firefox. Firefox 3.x was a fantastic piece of software and was a really fast and stable browser. Then things started rolling downhill and picking up speed and we ended up with version 56 really quick. Firefox was formerly known as Phoenix, then Firebird, and finally Firefox. The first version of Firefox was released February 9th, 2004.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see another SeaMonkey fan. I thought I was alone in liking that browser. I have used it since version 1 (on my Win98SE machine). I never liked the Firefox user interface and SeaMonkey was more like Mozilla (which was my favorite browser).  I also thing that Chrome is way too over-bloated and it spies on you. Not for me.

BTW, both SeaMonkey and Firefox are based on the Mozilla Engine under their GUI hood.  You can see that when you look at the "about" info:

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0 SeaMonkey/2.33.1

But I would not put too much into the fact that SeaMonkey is only up to version 2 while Firefox is at 65. SeaMonkey releases are just as numerous (they just use different revision numbering).  Still, SeaMonkey is the one for me.

Hi folks,

About a week now, I can't update my own topic or comment a member's build without having my Firefox freeze and block my whole PC.

Anyone having similar issues?

When I attend my topic with IE 11, no problems.

Just, I don't want to use IE 11.

Anyone?

Been having the same problem with AOL for weeks. For no evident reason, this site will lock up the whole computer for a minute or so, and then everything comes back. 

Today AOL discontinued their normal browser and is now running only the "new improved" Gold. New improved's ass. AOL Gold is horrible. It's much slower and has far fewer features. Much harder to use in almost every way. I think it might actually be a step backward from the AOL 4.0 on dial-up I was running in 1999! 

Great infos guys, many thanks.  

Until the Firefox 56 updates I never had a problem, I liked FF as it seemd to be easy to set up and to use the addons.   

As stated above,  Google and  their rep is not something I'm happy with.  So far, with Chrome I can update my topic and post otherwise too, like right here.  FF just now crashed again, strangely though, only here on this forum.  Still, it aggravates.

@Snake above...lol.  I've even thought about installing Win98SE just for the interent.  (Don't know if it would work though).

Been having the same problem with AOL for weeks. For no evident reason, this site will lock up the whole computer for a minute or so, and then everything comes back. 

Today AOL discontinued their normal browser and is now running only the "new improved" Gold. New improved's ass. AOL Gold is horrible. It's much slower and has far fewer features. Much harder to use in almost every way. I think it might actually be a step backward from the AOL 4.0 on dial-up I was running in 1999! 

I didn't realize AOL still existed..

@Snake above...lol.  I've even thought about installing Win98SE just for the interent.  (Don't know if it would work though).

No, Win98SE will not do anymore. Basically none of the browser versions which will install on Win98SE will properly render most of the contemporary websites. Time marches on and web designers keep updating things just for the sake of doing it without backward compatibility.  How do I know? I still run Win98SE on a PC that runs my Alps printer. I have the latest version if SeaMonkey (that supports Win98) installed and it has issues dealing with most web pages.

But I still suggest taking the SeaMonkey browser for a test drive - the name is funny, but the browser is very good.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Edited by peteski

Chrome is simply a spyware app for Google that lets you browse the Internet.    :(

X2. And if you're unsure about it, do a search for "is chrome spyware". That'll turn up a few thousand hits. And please don't get your answer to the question from the Google forum. I'd say it would be a toss up as to whether Chrome's spyware or Internet Exploder's bugginess is the bigger problem.

If you insist on using a "Chrome like" browser, do yourself a favor and uninstall Chrome and install Chromium. Unknown to most people is the fact that the code Google used to create Chrome came from the good folks at the KDE project and was open source. Once open source means always open source so Chromium benefits from updates, but doesn't include all the various spyware Google packs into Chrome. Other than a little difference in appearance Chromium is Chrome, just faster and more secure.