Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1950 Ford Showboat

Mr. Metallic

So the bottom line is that the recent Showboat Round2 re-issue is virtually the entire original Trophy Series kit with the exception of the Carson top which can be gotten through Replicas & Miniatures. And you get those nice tires... Now that's something worth noting!

A couple other small parts have gone missing after the first issue: the fender skirts, the fins, and another custom piece for the rear of the car.  Not many though, when you compare it with changes made to some other Trophy Series kits.

The U-shaped rear piece WAS in the first issue of the kit.  For the second issue (Showboat, 1967) AMT blocked off a number of the Stylizing parts including that one, reworked the Carson/Hall top into a half-top, ditched the custom wheel covers for Cragar mags, and added the straight axle and plastic slicks for drag version.  The price dropped from $2 to $1.70 also.  Ertl put most of the Stylizing parts back in, the missing ones are likely no longer there otherwise Round 2 would have put them back as they did with the drag version parts. 

On 11/17/2017 at 6:05 PM, unclescott58 said:

A nice proper reissue of an old AMT classic.

Close, BUT no cigar! 

BUT it COULD be a really nice reissue if they would just retool the chopped hardtop that WAS in the original release. I built my original if my mushy brain remembers correctly in 1963, and I DO remember that I used the chopped hardtop and that I painted it with the AMT candy blue lacquer over a silver base, but I wish I had used the gold because just to paint the top and get it the color I wanted it took one whole can of the blue. So since I was on a kids budget the car ended up a two tone with a dark blue roof and a light blue body.

But I would REALLY like that top reissued. If they were able to do as much retooling as they did in the Gremlin reissue, then redoing one little top for this gem shouldn't be a problem at all.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

For reference, some of what was, and no longer is. -_-

amt50fordorig.jpg

Looks like the chopped roof was turned into the Deville roof and the Vicky roof left out. But the chopped windshield seems to be there still . Picked up a vicky roof off ebay. May use it with the chopped windshield 

On 11/27/2017 at 6:23 PM, horsepower said:

Close, BUT no cigar! 

BUT it COULD be a really nice reissue if they would just retool the chopped hardtop that WAS in the original release. I built my original if my mushy brain remembers correctly in 1963, and I DO remember that I used the chopped hardtop and that I painted it with the AMT candy blue lacquer over a silver base, but I wish I had used the gold because just to paint the top and get it the color I wanted it took one whole can of the blue. So since I was on a kids budget the car ended up a two tone with a dark blue roof and a light blue body.

But I would REALLY like that top reissued. If they were able to do as much retooling as they did in the Gremlin reissue, then redoing one little top for this gem shouldn't be a problem at all.

Even with the missing original pieces, it's still a great kit. It's still a classic. Would I like all of the original parts back? Of coarse. But, that didn't stop me from building a nice model out of the kit a few years ago. I'm happy. 

Edited by unclescott58

• 1 month later...

The drag version is one of those included in this issue, so of course the instructions show those parts.  They'll fit the '49 coupe.

The original Showboat issue came in a narrow box, and didn't include the Stylizing parts.  Though not all of those are included, this issue still has more parts than any other.

2 hours ago, VW93 said:

Do the instructions from this release show how the straight axle is used? Drastic Plastic instructions page doesn't show the earlier Showboat release.

I've been told it should be adaptable to the 49 Ford.

The chassis are basically identical other than the X member.  All the suspension components will interchange between the 49 and 50 Ford kits. So yes the straight axle should be a direct interchange. I don't have the Showboat kit anymore but I'm pretty sure the instructions show the installation. As I recall the axle and leaf springs are all one piece.