Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 500 SEC coupe

Modelbuilder Mark

An old Tamiya kit from my stash, (copyright date says 1982, but I thought I picked it up mid 90s) just got around to building it because I wanted something "quick" after my last in depth project. This is molded in a metallic silver/grey plastic that I found to be VERY brittle, and I did end up breaking/cracking several pieces as I worked with them. There are fairly heavy mold seems that run along the upper fenders at all corners, along the side roof lines, etc. I thought I got them all, but one area showed up really bad near the rear trunk drivers side, but I was too far into the paint work for a shelf build to strip it.  The paint is Scalefinishes Mercedes Diamond Blue, and given that I am not a great photographer, it looks more silver in these pics that in person. Battery and spark-plugs wired, plumbed the water reservoir tank, swapped out the wheels for parts box items but kept the kit tires. Other than some light weathering, that is is. It has a 5.0 V8, and only leaks a little oil. Not bad, as the plates read 1996. The chassis did get a few more washes of dust and dirt. I added calipers that could be seen through the wheels, widened the wheel wells as the kits left too large of a gap.

2v2uFCvE9xEz24.jpg

2v2uFCvvoxEz24.jpg

2v2uFmoi5xEz24.jpg

2v2uFhz4UxEz24.jpg

2v2uFhzG9xEz24.jpg

2v2uFhzy2xEz24.jpg

2v2uFhLQzxEz24.jpg

2v2uFh5CMxEz24.jpg

2v2uFhyVvxEz24.jpg

Great looking M-B, remember when that kit came out, one guy in the Verlinden club, (who later built display models for Tamiya Europe), made one in metallic green it was awesome, he was an artist with an airbrush...sadly I Iost track of him, but was told that he stopped with the hobby altogether.

Thanks everyone. It was a fun build.  Thanks for the source on three wheels Jason,  I could not recall.  I had three sets from somewhere in my wheel stash,  that were unplated. About 15 years ago I sent two sets off to Chrometech thinking I would use them "someday". When you start yours, if it is cast in the metallic grey, be careful, it is very brittle.