Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC '86 Chevy El Camino & Trail Bike

Casey

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

My thoughts exactly. Sure wish it could be built with a stock front end.

I have the original Mpc annual kit of the '86, Red Light Bandit it said on the box IIRC, alway's liked that front end, but in those days molded-in headlamps were the norm, not so great in my book, and a pet peeve of mine ;)

Oh....for years I didn't know that that kit existed, and wrote letters to Monogram to up-date their kit, to no avail.

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

I have the original Mpc annual kit of the '86, Red Light Bandit it said on the box IIRC, alway's liked that front end, but in those days molded-in headlamps were the norm, not so great in my book, and a pet peeve of mine ;)

Oh....for years I didn't know that that kit existed, and wrote letters to Monogram to up-date their kit, to no avail.

The RLB was the '82 annual Luc.

It was the last Elcamino annual kit. 

I've never had a lot of interest in this kit. Some, but not a lot. Between the old style box art, and the trail bike, I may pick this one up. The only thing I don't like is that it will molded in black plastic. I'll need Tamiya white prime if I want to build it in any other color. 

6 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

It looks like, I had a "blonde" moment ;):D

They do tend to get a bit hard to keep track of when they quit putting the year on the box. 

But, I agree, a stock front end would have been better for most cases. Easier to do a work truck out of it that way. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2018 at 8:25 PM, mikemodeler said:

Grabbed one of these tonight at a Hobby Lobby in Jacksonville FL. Used the 40% off coupon and walked out with it and was $19 poorer.

Pics of the mini bike when you have a chance, please. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:26 AM, unclescott58 said:

I've never had a lot of interest in this kit. Some, but not a lot. Between the old style box art, and the trail bike, I may pick this one up. The only thing I don't like is that it will molded in black plastic. I'll need Tamiya white prime if I want to build it in any other color. 

Don't know if you saw my response in "What Did You Get Today."  This forum moves FAST sometimes!   So I'll resurrect this zombie thread to repeat it:  I bought this kit at HL and opened it up.  The box says "molded in Black Pearl" and I was curious about that.

You will have to prime it if you want any other color.  But the good news is, the molded-in color looks pretty good.  The "pearl" flakes are in-scale for once, not giant blobs, and it's more of a dark metallic gray than black.  I'd be tempted to polish out the bare plastic, except for 2 problems: 1) I just know that Choo-Choo Customs nose will take some work to blend in with the body. 2)  There are a few sink marks, especially along the tops of the front fenders.  As the box says, the Trail Bike is molded in red plastic, not the same color as the rest of the kit.  I'm thinking about building it as a grungy bike hauler. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

After looking the box over, I noticed the built model is wearing Goodyear Polyglas GT tires, yet the bottom of the box shows only four tires, and the side of the box state/shows Goodyear GT Radial tires are included. Are only the four Goodyear GT Radial tires included?

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, Casey said:

After looking the box over, I noticed the built model is wearing Goodyear Polyglas GT tires, yet the bottom of the box shows only four tires, and the side of the box state/shows Goodyear GT Radial tires are included. Are only the four Goodyear GT Radial tires included?

I just looked in the box.  Only the 4 Goodyear GT Radials are included, with white lettering. Exactly as shown on the box side, under the "Special Bonus" hype.  No other tires.

• 1 month later...

It took me 10 years of going to the show in Toledo (Maumee, actually) to finally find an '82 kit so I can replicate my '87.  This was before Ebay.  I suggest finding a scratched up promo if anyone wants the stock front end for an '82-'87 El Camino if the kit is still difficult to find.