Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar D-Type XKD 606

FabbricaP

On 8/15/2018 at 5:51 PM, Randy D said:

Wonderful work Jason !!!  Your extra detailing really adds to this kit.

Randy

On 8/13/2018 at 10:48 AM, Dann Tier said:

Simply BEAUTIFUL!!!!…...that's my kind of detailing!!!!

On 8/13/2018 at 6:26 AM, afx said:

All good stuff Jason.

Thanks for the comments!

Here is a bit more progress..

I got the front suspension and steering assembly attached

R9WdyCY.jpg

XGA0TPJ.jpg

WhfTBVz.jpg

I had to attach magnets to the firewall to secure the hood when attached. Even with these magnets I think the hood will not be able to stay perfectly closed mainly due to a bit of a body gap I made right beneath the right side Ecurie Ecosse decal.:(  However, I don't really mind the magnets though as they kind of add to the engine bay

OSARR5b.jpg

I'll be adding more magnets to the underside soon

BQk1F3X.jpg

Finished up the rear boot hinges.

EsMBdwo.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Edited by FabbricaP

Finished up some more this weekend..

Scratch built the hood straps with leather, wire, aluminum and rivets from Hobby Design. This isn't the correct type strap for this particular chassis, but I like how they turned out.

HhVv2r6.jpg

eTy4APz.jpg

The magnets for securing the hood closed didn't really work so I decided to glue magnets to the scratch built leather hood straps instead. This ended up being a much cleaner solution and even made the hood straps semi-workable. Opposite magnets will be glued to the chassis later.

u0AB2gD.jpg

Also BMF'd the rear light rims to simulate the chrome. First time using BMF and I am simply amazed.. Seems like it'll be a tricky job with larger applications though..

vd2kNRQ.jpg

Also got the front headlight covers cut out from the vac form and attached the lenses to the hood. The light covers will be attached with three slotted rivets.

AVJYSdm.jpg

2wjxAny.jpg

RJyN0Kn.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

On 8/26/2018 at 11:30 PM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Wow, very sharp! What a great looking model. 

On 8/26/2018 at 11:39 PM, Bill J said:

Very impressive work on the D type. Really nice :)

On 8/27/2018 at 7:10 AM, Foxer said:

I'm fully enjoying watching all the beautiful detail you're making!

19 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Such a BEAUTIFUL car, and build!!!!……..thanks for the magnet idea!, I hate my straps just sticking out...lol, I have the magnets.....might as well use them!!

Thanks for the comments everyone! Close to being finally done with this one. 

The magnets work great and are fairly easy to hide Dann, highly recommend them 

Some more small (but time consuming!!) details done.

The hood straps with magnets route worked out fairly well in the end and the hood stays reasonably shut tight.. I also had to give in and shave some material off of the inside of the hood to make it work.

37AmM63.jpg

Ecu8vTf.jpg

fX8UzAX.jpg

Got the headlight covers on. I used Tuner Model Factory slotted rivets to attach the covers. Profil24's great vacform & headlight lenses look great. Got the windshield and passenger side cover thing cut out for test fitting. I'll need to trim this piece more later and cut the side windows out. Again, Profil24's vacform is great and fits precisely!

jrqelLU.jpg

LBF4Ixx.jpg

The fuel latch and driver's door will be attached with leather pieces. Driver's door and door jam got magnets also- can't stop using these great little tools!

X7wImjs.jpg

8dPMAcV.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

6 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Congratulations, it is a beautiful build.

5 hours ago, Scalper said:

looks great.. that blue paint is wonderful

4 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

MASTERPIECE!!!!…...period.

Thank you all, its been a really educational and satisfying build so far. My first time with a resin kit has been a bit of a challenge but gaining a lot of good know-how with this build.

6 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Magnets!! Now why didn't I think of that years ago when I was building my D Type?? :P

I actually made mine to tuck in the buckle, but man this is a MUCH more practical and great idea!

Thanks Bill. Saw your great buckles and tried to replicate but gave up after much swearing and having about 10 tiny buckles fly out my tweezers lol. The magnets are awesome and are now a must-have for me whenever I have opening bits.

5 minutes ago, absmiami said:

what happens if you try to use the photo-etched splash panels that are designed to sit under the bonnet above the wheel wells ?  do they prevent the bonnet from closing by interfering with the top of the engine bay ??

bet they do ...

I actually haven't test fit those yet, but I’m also pretty sure they’re gonna hit something in the engine bay. The PE splash panels look great and it’s gonna be a shame not to include them so  hopefully some trimming can do the trick.

Finally DONE with this one. My first time with resin and the kit fighting me all the way made this one quite a challenge but I'm happy with how it turned out. The Profil24 kit is great and provides a lot of room for detailing. I gained a lot of great know-how for future builds and added an absolutely beautiful car to the collection. Thanks to everyone for following along and commenting!

Posted in Under Glass here

oB4yMDd.jpg

aR8EkkP.jpg

Edited by FabbricaP