Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Fiat Abarth 2000 Scorpio Concept Car

Great vid, but those carbs sound a little off. I always loved this thing. Beautiful, beautiful little car.

A company I worked for long ago raced an Abarth 1300 OT in SCCA C-Sports Racing. The engine was very similar to this, designed by the same hand. Based on Simca and Fiat 850 chassis parts, the 1300 OT was rear-engined also, and sounded much the same. Power peak was around 8800 RPM, if I remember correctly. The car had a history of DNFs and less-than-stellar performance with its previous US owner, Al Cosentino (a remarkably successful driver in several Fiat/Abarth cars). After I went through the engine shortly after we purchased it, it finished every race for us, never placing lower than 3rd.

Ours was the first series, pre-"periscope". I occasionally tested the car on the downtown Atlanta city streets in the middle of the night.

Image result for abarth 1300 ot

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 1 month later...

Cool vid, thanks for posting. I haven't seen anything on this machine in decades. As for the amazing sound, it is impossible to appreciate the sound of any performance engine unless it is under load. Putt-putting around the show field is kind of cool, and it all sounds a bit rorty, but I would love to hear machines like this at full song under load.

• 4 months later...
On 11.7.2018 at 3:59 PM, Bugatti Fan said:

Got a feeling that either Bandai, Gakken or Nichimo may have kitted this prototype car in the late 60's early 70's. There was a Lamborghini Marzal prototype kitted at about the same time as well.

I have got a 1/24 Nakamura kit of this very same car via ebay last year.

While it is a simple and rather crude kit, I think one can achieve a presentable result with some detailing and replacing the engine which looks like a truck diesel - this is due to electric engine and battery box (obviously a must for all Japanese manufacturers at hat time!) - which detracts a lot from the appearance. Another possibility would be to glue the engine cover shut and build it as a curbside.

And yesterday I won a 1/20 Bandai Lamborghini Marzal kit on ebay.uk !