Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Dodge 330 - 2JZ Twin Turbo

RickRollerLT1

I understand this isn't for the faint of heart Mopar nuts and some of ya are gonna spout out "YOU PUT A WHAT IN THAT POOR OLD DODGE?!". But, since the 330 had a slant six on the base models this combo pays a modern homage to those slant sixers with a twist. This was the AMT boxed Lindberg kit i got on markdown for $7.50 at HL, and since I rarely do things OOB I brainstormed some customizing ideas on what to do with it. I found a resin 2JZ and resin turbos that a friend gave me a while back in my stash and that got the spark going for my next project on top of a closet full of kits i plan to chip away at.

Interior is Testors light gray rattle can and basically OOB, added a dash gauge cluster piece (from a Revell pro stock of some sort) and a 57 'Vette steering wheel with a custom stick on the steering column to replicate a shiftier on the wheel type config. 2JZ resin motor has resin twin turbos mounted on modified headers from a Ferrari Boxer 12, plastic tubing as intake pipes, and a custom side exhaust made from a Mustang muffler and Lamborghini exhaust tips. Cadiator from a AMT Dodge Viper, and suspension is pretty much stock but added new drive shaft to go to 2JZ tranny and modified engine mounts on suspension and transmission brace.

Wheels and tires are from a AMT Dodge Concept Car builder (that looked as some child did his/her own "crash testing" as it's body all broken, but wheels were intact for only $1). Paint is Tamiya TS-60 Pearl Green cleared with Pledge, and the frame is Krylon Stainless Steel Finish. I also added a Japanese Licence plate from a Aoshima Skyline of some sort because why not.

To those who appreciate homages, I hope you enjoy!

20180704_031254.jpg

20180704_031427.jpg

20180704_031522.jpg

20180704_031543.jpg

20180704_031735.jpg20180704_031905.jpg

20180704_031818.jpg

Edited by RickRollerLT1

A great build with tons of originaliy in a nice color.-congrats !!! I just retired after 46 yrs. in auto parts and i'm definitely old school and an absolute die hard mopar fanatic.Being a mopar guy i could never build a mopar with any engine but a mopar-it's just me but your model does look awesome.