Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner

Lovefordgalaxie

Now for the plastic.

The body has some mold lines that need taking care of. 

That was done, a couple of coats of primer, and them I airbrushed the car with some left over automotive red enamel I had mixed when I built his '58 Plymouth Belvedere. My cousin is being cheap, and didn't want to have the correct color mixed. Since it would cost about the price of the kit, can't say I blame him. '58 Plymouth red is close enough. 

29078168337_7b436ecf0e_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

30146948318_710b70b3e9_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

42206190830_988722db6e_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

42206188910_84ea86fce4_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Here is my cheapo Badger 350 Chinese copy that is my workhorse:

43296721324_06e8fc0475_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

43296720444_b432ed5f3d_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

The real Badger 350 is very seldom used, as it's hard to get replacements parts for it:

15552357473_af3aef98ac_c.jpg1964 Chevrolet Impala SS by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

I'm not a fan of double action airbrushes. I think it's because I learned how to paint with spray cans...

Only use double action for real small stuff. 

Looking good!  This looks almost like the '53 Ford convertible that my Dad owned back in the day!  My Dad's '53 had an actual Continental kit instead of tack-on fake tire carrier.  

Edited by mrmike

You just do such wonderful modeling, this is a treat for us as we get to see what's in the box, I try to stay away from Kit's that need a lot of BMF as I'm not really too steady with the hands... what is your opinion on these 53 Ford Kit's, how's the side trim chrome, a doable thing for me??? I always enjoy your results...

Thanks Guys!!

47 minutes ago, Ballroad said:

You just do such wonderful modeling, this is a treat for us as we get to see what's in the box, I try to stay away from Kit's that need a lot of BMF as I'm not really too steady with the hands... what is your opinion on these 53 Ford Kit's, how's the side trim chrome, a doable thing for me??? I always enjoy your results...

As Doug said, all the side chrome are separate pieces. Just cut from the chrome parts three and glue to the car. Foil is needed only on the windshield, vent windows, and the trim on top of the doors and around the back of the convertible top. 

So, here we have some more progress on the 1953 Sunliner.

Built the wheels of the kit, but hated them. I'm not a fan of wire wheels at all, and they have to go. Will cast some copies of the wheels on the Crestline Victoria kit to use on the Sunliner. Those represent some very tasty full wheel covers, that in my book look much much better.

30146965498_340b6fdbab_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

30113533028_463a9e579e_c.jpg1953 Ford and 1953 Chevrolet by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Another thing done, was to polish the body, and foil it. 

29125720027_2f0d12ffc1_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

I'm quite happy with the result. 

Now starting to detail paint:

43156266375_126f4d7556_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Also foiled the fake spare tire:

29125717957_f1f6ab2f5b_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Started to detail paint the 239:

43344236464_c0cbc6b918_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

43156261685_043e2031b9_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

No, it won't have spark plug wires. Not in the mood to do so.

Still more to go!!

Man this is looking really good Andy. I can't get over the detail and painting quality. Over the past year I finally got my method down to painting car bodies and it's EXACTLY how you're doing it with that Badger 350. I don't really use a double action airbrush but a Badger 200 single action instead for the small stuff. With both of those at my disposal I can do pretty much whatever I need to with auto builds.

7 hours ago, Sledsel said:

The quality of your builds is outstanding and the fact you seem to just whip out theses builds kills me!

I have a set of the Victoria wheel covers if you want them.

Thanks man!! 

I managed to get a set of Victoria wheels and tires from... A Welly die cast!!! 

The Welly model car, that they say it's in 1/24 scale is for real in 1/25 scale. It was tooled... sorry, copied, from the LIndberg kit!!! Even the tires are the same. 

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Man this is looking really good Andy. I can't get over the detail and painting quality. Over the past year I finally got my method down to painting car bodies and it's EXACTLY how you're doing it with that Badger 350. I don't really use a double action airbrush but a Badger 200 single action instead for the small stuff. With both of those at my disposal I can do pretty much whatever I need to with auto builds.

Thank you!! 

I could never paint a body with a double action airbrush, and I tried a few, with many different nozzle sizes. Also different brands, like Badger, Paasche, and even one of those crappy Testors Aztec. Never got the same finish as I get with the old and "obsolete" Badger 350.  

My Father sold these cars new back in the day. Kingsford Motors, Kingsford Michigan, he worked from 1951-1958. He also sold the first Thunderbird in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in 1955. This looks like a neat kit to do ... but I don't think mine would equal this one ....

So, I got a few more detailing done on the '53.

Got a set of proper wheels with wheel covers from a cheap Welly die cast. Yes, even the tire thread is a direct copy of the Lindberg kit. 

43184931475_61187e86dc_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

The wheel donor:

42282503550_ed82740c1a_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

42282502800_b6683e7229_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

On the drp top. I got some more detail paint done on the firewall, on the door panels, and some foil on the dash. 

43372786344_4cca45cce6_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

42282506580_9cc93b4a83_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Also installed the glass, and gave the body a good rub with wax. 

43372783934_5a78293635_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

There is still more detail paint to do, but i'm close to assemble this beast!!

43372787634_5a4fe3a589_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

11 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Your attention to detail without 'adding' detail is amazing!

I love seeing your work......

Thanks!!! 

6 hours ago, landman said:

Absolutely! And I am curious, how much of the detail paint is masked and prayed and haw much is freehand?

Usually, it depends on the car. On this one, the black on the frame is hand painted, the gas tank steel was also hand painted. 

The engine tangerine paint  was airbrushed, but all detail was hand painted. On the interior, the white was airbrushed, then masked to airbrush the red. The semi gloss black was all hand painted, as it was the flat black on the carpeting. 

1 hour ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Thanks!!! 

Usually, it depends on the car. On this one, the black on the frame is hand painted, the gas tank steel was also hand painted. 

The engine tangerine paint  was airbrushed, but all detail was hand painted. On the interior, the white was airbrushed, then masked to airbrush the red. The semi gloss black was all hand painted, as it was the flat black on the carpeting. 

Thank you Túlio. That is one steady hand you have.